“Less than pleasant”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 25 August 2014

My experience in the hatless heron was less than pleasant. A surley waitress , very slow service and cold almost uncooked bacon on a BLT , I shall not be repeating the experience. As an aside the people on the next table returned their Teapot as it had been brought to the table so Luke warm as to be described as "cold". The waitress was less than willing to rectify the situation. There are much better establishments to spend good money on better presented and more appitising food

1  Thank John Q

Reviewed 25 August 2014

First visit to Hatless Heron, won't waste my hard earned again!! Went to order food and waitress was positively surly and continued a conversation with other staff member as I stood waiting to order. A customer spoke to her about his pot of tea being cold, she just shrugged and said it was hot when she made it. No apology or offer of another pot. He sat down but later returned to the till and asked for another pot. This took several minutes to arrive, slammed it down on the table, no apology. Our food was not good. My sandwich took ages to arrive, bread was very dry. Left it. Bacon in BLT cold and barely cooked. Waitress was acting as if customers were a darn nuisance!! I noticed all the customers had to get up and get their own cutlery, non was bought to the table by staff.
Toilets were shabby, smelly and needed cleaning. Whitby is a haven of great cafe's and restaurants, we shall choose more wisley next time and avoid H.H.

3  Thank denqua
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This restaurant/cafe was once my favourite place to eat... still is apart from the fact the cleanliness has gone downhill.... Although the food is wonderful great for vegetarians, very good value for money,atmosphere is amazing, music choice is fabulous (I love nothing better than to eat listening to my favourite 90s songs like nirvana/oasis/blur), staff are lovely very enthusiastic and friendly. Please sort the cleanliness out guys you've let me down? Then you can retain your place as my favourite whitby eatery (prestigious I know)

2  Thank Dakota S
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Second time we've been to this restaurant and gave found it very good on both occasions. Reasonably priced given the location and plenty of room for a pushchair! Staff are attentive and polite.

1  Thank Catderby D
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We returned after a good meal from a previous years visit and once again the food was great, steak and hand cut cut chips, yum. Congrats to the chef. The decor is fun and food and drink good value, I also recommend the black shiraz. However we were let down by service, the waiter was fab but the waitress was inattentive and got simple tasks wrong, it's a small thing but it affected our visit.
Also can I make a request that after 5pm when you have table service and the candles are kite can the radio be turned off and a CD be put on, eg some soft jazz or vintage songs, it would greatly improve the atmosphere.

1  Thank AndyandLiz2012