“Heaven in a burger! Amazing stuff”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Hatless Heron - CLOSED

The Hatless Heron
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Bristol
“Heaven in a burger! Amazing stuff”
Reviewed 17 May 2010

I travelled to whitby on a day out and when asking locals which restaurant served the tastiest, most valued for money food in the area, they all gave the same answer "The Hatless Heron" The hatless heron lies in a nicely set out street and is very stylish in its layout with big comfy leather seats to relax on! At one look of the menu i was stuck, everything sounded perfect!! I ended up ordering a cheese and bacon burger and it did not dissapoint! A huge burger with melted cheese and 2 rashers of crispy bacon, what else could you want? Except from of course some of the best homemade chips ive ever tasted! The chef here really must know what hes doing, and word around town is that he has trained at 1 michelin star level, a nice start! The front of house is run nicely and is very infrmal and friendly in its approach! In comparison i ate at the White horse and griffin the following evening and thought it was terrible! one to avoid, travel up the street and go to the Hatless Heron because it really will not dissapoint! Also check out the homemade desserts and pastry in the stand on the bottom floor, the lemon possets are fantastic! Enough said!

“Brilliant food and at quite reasonable...”
Reviewed 17 May 2010

Brilliant food and at quite reasonable prices too

Bradford
“Being understaffed completely let them down.”
Reviewed 8 May 2010

Ordered 2 paninis and a bowl of chips for me and my boyfriend. With a beer each it came to just under £20 which I thought was ridiculous to start with, then one panini that came had smallest piece of salami you have ever seen in your life in each half and only cheese on one of the halfs. They brought us another one free of charge that was stuffed full but even after they brought that we still hadn't got our chips and had to ask for them. They gave us chips in the end and also refunded the money for them so cant really complain on that point but it was clear there wasn't enough staff to cope with the amount of customers and it really showed. Staff that were working, although helpful, had no sense of urgency about them at all. Overall a disappointing experience.

1 Thank Ms_Casiraghi
Whitby
“Wanted food - AND DAMN DID WE GET IT!”
Reviewed 1 January 2010

me and my wife and kids needed some food so we decided to go here and the food was mouth-watering.. highly would recommend it, although the waitresses seemed kind of lazy, we went for some food and we enjoyed every minute of it - you could smell it as soon as you walked in.. we had mussels & chips and salmon.. delicious!

Whitby, United Kingdom
“Very nice coffee, relaxing atmosphere”
Reviewed 21 September 2009

I've only been downstairs in the cafe part of the Hatless Heron but I believe there's a restaurant part upstairs. It's on Church Street, which is in the older part of Whitby, and it's a lovely little place to relax with one of their very good coffees and watch people go by. The style of the place is quite contemporary but in a relaxed, comfortable way, and the staff have always been very pleasant whenever we've been there.
There's a good, varied range of hot drinks available (which are always appreciated after being in the bracing Whitby air for a while) and we've eaten there once or twice in the past - just quick, light meals - and found the food well-prepared and tasty. There's a glass cabinet with cakes and things in to go with your coffee, but it always seems quite empty by the time we get there! I would quite like to see a bit more choice of pastries and things on offer all day. It's possible you can order this sort of thing from the menu, but I think it's particularly nice to see a tempting display of such things to choose from.
The Hatless Heron is a regular stop for us when we go to Whitby, and I'd definitely recommend it. I'm looking forward to trying out the restaurant upstairs, all in the name of research of course!

1 Thank PennyFalls