“Lovely friendly b&b”

Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Lovely friendly b&b”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here many times over the past 5 years and have seen it transformed into a very smart place to stay in a great location only a few minutes walk to the harbour and sea front. If your looking at staying over in whitby Hudsons would be a great choice.

• Stayed May 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Hawsker, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Let's get this clear. This is not a hotel. It's a B and B and a poor one at that. I'm flabbergasted at the 5 star reviews on here. What hotel serves breakfast in the hosts front room?! We booked a premier sized room at £98. The room is no bigger than any others I've stayed in in that location in Whitby. It's quite tastefully decorated with a huge silver mirror but that's about the only positive thing I can come up with.

If you read my other reviews on here, you'll see I rarely give a bad review so I'm not nitpicking. For this price I expected so much more. The room was freezing when we got there and didn't get much warmer throughout our stay. The radiator was ineffective and noisy, despite being turned on full. The wifi works when it wants to. I read on a previous review about someone saying the mattress hurt their hips. How I laughed. I apologise because it was the hardest mattress I've ever slept on. No memory foam here.

The room was dirty. My wife, when unpacking, put some trousers on the window ledge, picked them up later and they were filthy, covered in dust. The bathroom is very small. It's little things like only two tiny, cheap shower products in the bathroom, one packet of biscuits between us (whoopee, a biscuit each), plastic cups in a polythene bag for water(what? No bottled water?), no heated towel rail, the clock didn't work and the shower was weak. There are blinds at the window so it's very light when the sun comes up.

As for breakfast, it's okay. I've had bigger, better and certainly, hotter ones. It's also advertised as a room with Victorian features. Unless they were under the bed, I didn't spot any. Again, someone else had reviewed saying that the hosts were "flat". I totally agree. At no point were we asked if anything was okay. If they'd asked this morning, I would certainly have said but they didn't seem bothered. I'd still be stood there now listing the complaints. There's hardly any interacting with customers at breakfast, it's a pretty bleak affair.

If I'm paying £98 for a room, I expect way better than this. There are cheaper and much, much better B and B's in Whitby that this. Can I suggest a uniform of a mask, stripey jumper and a bag with swag written on it?

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank mick_hunter
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Why wacky? Hudsons is located in a street that has three different names depending on how far up the street you are and which side you are on - seriously confused the satnav in the car! But finding Hudsons is well worth the effort. Beautifully appointed room (we were in Room 6 - huge and well equipped with a lovely bathroom); great full-English breakfast and very friendly hosts. Perfect place for a few days in Whitby and the north Yorks coast.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

We had a lovely three-night stay at Hudson's. Laura and Mark provided a warm, relaxed welcome and looked after us well throughout our stay.

Our room (Room 6) was massive, with a big, comfortable settee and bed. The toilet has a good, big shower space. Everything is very clean.

We enjoyed the variety of choices for breakfast, all very tasty. The breakfast room is very cosy and comfortable.

The location is quiet and peaceful, with only the sound of seagulls.

We really enjoyed our chats with Laura and Mark. They gave us excellent advice for holidaying in the area and a really beautiful and interesting roué to take on our last day before our return home, which we thoroughly enjoyed. Their warmth and kindness and superb B&B accommodation added a lot to our stay in Whitby.

We recommend Hudson's unreservedly and look forward to a future stay.

Thank you very much, Mark and Laura. You are doing a grand job.

Room Tip: Room 6 is on the second floor and is very airy, light and spacious.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Lincs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

We just stayed for 2 nights.
Great location less than 5 minutes walk to the harbour area.
Lovely room - though a little small with a very small bathroom- it was modern stylish and very clean.
Choice of breakfast and the food was excellent.
Friendly service & very welcoming hosts.
Would absolutely recommend!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KatieLou1986
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

I've never written a review on TA before, but i felt i had to, as this is a wonderful little find. From the extremely warm welcome, to the beautifully presented, immaculate rooms and incredible food, you will not be disappointed, plus the location is perfect for exploring, just book it!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Booked a trip for my birthday with my partner. Chose a double room, which was well priced and ready on arrival. The room was nicely decorated, with a modern bathroom. The owners were very friendly and attentive and gave just the right amount of attention. Breakfast was cooked very nicely and there was plenty of choice. Would definitely stay here again and recommend Hudson's to friends and family.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple