“Home away from home”

Hudsons
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We've stayed at The Hudson's twice a year for four nights every year for the Whitby Gothic Weekend music festival ever since Mark and Laura took on the business, I've stayed in several of the B&Bs in Whitby in the seventeen years I've been going to the event and I can honestly say that we've never stayed anywhere better. Mark and Laura are friendly and welcoming. The rooms are clean and modern and have all been refitted to a high standard since we started staying. We away book Room 1 which is huge and has bay window with two armchairs conveniently situated for watching the world go by and definitely something more than your average B&B. Not that we tend to use it very much, but there is also a large (40"?) TV. The room also comes with tea and coffee making facilities and the obligatory hair drier. Free WiFi is also provide to residents. The room has a king-size bed and the bedding is immaculately clean.

Breakfast is cereal, coffee, orange juice, toast and then a choice from the menu. The Full English Breakfasts are cooked to order and sourced from local butchers and are excellent, large enough that I usually don't eat again until evening.

Check out the website Gallery to get a feel for the rooms. From personal experience I guarantee that what you see is what you get. Since Mark and Laura took on the property I've watched these rooms be transformed from twee B&B to in to the modern, usable accommodation they now are which shame some of the big chain hotels (which I also frequently use). While it may be a B&B, it's definitely a premier B&B.

All I'll say in closing is that I can thoroughly recommend Hudson's. Our booking is on a rolling reservation. So long as Mark and Laura are there and WGW runs, we'll be there too.

Room Tip: I'd recommend room 1. But you can't have it. It's mine.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank Mark J. B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
harrogate
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Perfect, perfect, perfect. This was our 5th stay at Hudsons (need I say more) and everything about it from the beautiful room to the amazing breakfast in the airy dinning room was ...... perfect. Mark and Laura are lovely folks who are happy to help and keep the place absolutely spotless. Already booked our next stay. Thanks and keep up the good work, M Smith x

Room Tip: I have stayed in 5 rooms and all have been lovely well equipped.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here many times over the past 5 years and have seen it transformed into a very smart place to stay in a great location only a few minutes walk to the harbour and sea front. If your looking at staying over in whitby Hudsons would be a great choice.

• Stayed May 2014
Hawsker, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Let's get this clear. This is not a hotel. It's a B and B and a poor one at that. I'm flabbergasted at the 5 star reviews on here. What hotel serves breakfast in the hosts front room?! We booked a premier sized room at £98. The room is no bigger than any others I've stayed in in that location in Whitby. It's quite tastefully decorated with a huge silver mirror but that's about the only positive thing I can come up with.

If you read my other reviews on here, you'll see I rarely give a bad review so I'm not nitpicking. For this price I expected so much more. The room was freezing when we got there and didn't get much warmer throughout our stay. The radiator was ineffective and noisy, despite being turned on full. The wifi works when it wants to. I read on a previous review about someone saying the mattress hurt their hips. How I laughed. I apologise because it was the hardest mattress I've ever slept on. No memory foam here.

The room was dirty. My wife, when unpacking, put some trousers on the window ledge, picked them up later and they were filthy, covered in dust. The bathroom is very small. It's little things like only two tiny, cheap shower products in the bathroom, one packet of biscuits between us (whoopee, a biscuit each), plastic cups in a polythene bag for water(what? No bottled water?), no heated towel rail, the clock didn't work and the shower was weak. There are blinds at the window so it's very light when the sun comes up.

As for breakfast, it's okay. I've had bigger, better and certainly, hotter ones. It's also advertised as a room with Victorian features. Unless they were under the bed, I didn't spot any. Again, someone else had reviewed saying that the hosts were "flat". I totally agree. At no point were we asked if anything was okay. If they'd asked this morning, I would certainly have said but they didn't seem bothered. I'd still be stood there now listing the complaints. There's hardly any interacting with customers at breakfast, it's a pretty bleak affair.

If I'm paying £98 for a room, I expect way better than this. There are cheaper and much, much better B and B's in Whitby that this. Can I suggest a uniform of a mask, stripey jumper and a bag with swag written on it?

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank mick_hunter
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Why wacky? Hudsons is located in a street that has three different names depending on how far up the street you are and which side you are on - seriously confused the satnav in the car! But finding Hudsons is well worth the effort. Beautifully appointed room (we were in Room 6 - huge and well equipped with a lovely bathroom); great full-English breakfast and very friendly hosts. Perfect place for a few days in Whitby and the north Yorks coast.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We had a lovely three-night stay at Hudson's. Laura and Mark provided a warm, relaxed welcome and looked after us well throughout our stay.

Our room (Room 6) was massive, with a big, comfortable settee and bed. The toilet has a good, big shower space. Everything is very clean.

We enjoyed the variety of choices for breakfast, all very tasty. The breakfast room is very cosy and comfortable.

The location is quiet and peaceful, with only the sound of seagulls.

We really enjoyed our chats with Laura and Mark. They gave us excellent advice for holidaying in the area and a really beautiful and interesting roué to take on our last day before our return home, which we thoroughly enjoyed. Their warmth and kindness and superb B&B accommodation added a lot to our stay in Whitby.

We recommend Hudson's unreservedly and look forward to a future stay.

Thank you very much, Mark and Laura. You are doing a grand job.

Room Tip: Room 6 is on the second floor and is very airy, light and spacious.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Lincs
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

We just stayed for 2 nights.
Great location less than 5 minutes walk to the harbour area.
Lovely room - though a little small with a very small bathroom- it was modern stylish and very clean.
Choice of breakfast and the food was excellent.
Friendly service & very welcoming hosts.
Would absolutely recommend!