“Fish and chips”

Ranked #17 of 225 Restaurants in Whitby
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 19 May 2016

The best in Whitby, Staff the best i have come across in a long time, extremely helpful even when busy

Reviewed 18 May 2016 via mobile

So we were in beautiful Whitby & I'd been told the fish n chips were to die for. We decided on this restaurant because it looked nice and welcoming. The waitress on duty was lovely - she guided us to the smaller fish n chips as she said the larger portion was quite big. She was right! Shortly after ordering 2 plates of steaming hot fish n chips arrived. The batter was bubbly and crispy and the chips bite perfect. It came with a huge pot of tea, mushy peas and bread & butter for £12.95. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and left not one chip. I liked the experience so much I even left a tip. I can only recommend this lovely plaice!

Reviewed 14 May 2016

The food here really is amazing. The chips are crinkle cut but I like this, makes them extra crispy! I'm a veggie so didn't try the fish but company said it was lovely.

There service, however, was awful. Hence the average rating. We went around 25 minutes before they were closing, but at the time we weren't aware of this. The waitress was rude and made it very obvious she was annoyed we were there. Our meal felt rushed as she was constantly looking over with a "why haven't you finished yet" expression on her face. She couldn't clear our plates quick enough, didn't offer us the option of puddings and brought our bill over a minute later (without us asking, whilst we still had full mugs of tea) and told us to bring our money to the bar when we were ready. But then sat glaring at us, which was very uncomfortable and eventually I went up and paid and we left with our drinks still full. She didn't bring our change over, left it on the side (which I'm aware they do in posh restaurants but this is a chippy...) and continued to glare at us till we started to get ready to leave. The change was also over 10% of the bill anyway which is what I'd usually tip, I took the money and left but felt incredibly awkward about the whole thing (I refuse to tip when service is so bad).

I wish the waitress would have told us when we came in we weren't welcome as we'd have gladly gone somewhere else to avoid being an inconvenience! Perhaps management need to look at taking last orders an hour or so before closing time to give people enough time to enjoy their meal without being rushed and practically pushed out the door.

Rant over! It wouldn't stop me going again for the food as it really was lovely.

Reviewed 5 May 2016

In all the places in all the world that I have ever been to, this is by far the best chip shop ever!!!!!! Nothing else to say!!!!!!! :D

Reviewed 3 May 2016

We had our lunch here this weekend, the chicken pie and chips & steak pie and chips were yummy, great cup of Yorkshire tea, good prices, excellent service, a must on our next visit to Whitby