“Miserable Campsite manager”

York House Caravan Park
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitby
York House Caravan Park
Ranked #16 of 52 Speciality Lodging in Whitby
Middlesbrough
“Miserable Campsite manager”
Reviewed 14 August 2012

The site itself is really lovely if a little pricey at £25 per night. The staff were incredibly miserable. On arrival we were shown to our pitch and was told to keep the dog on the lead at al time - fair enough. He kept driving past every 15 minutes or so just to check. At one point the dog got tangled up in the guy ropes so I undid the lead to untangle it and he was straight there saying we would get thrown off if she was off the lead again. The next day we were joined by friends who were told to park their car in a specific location. This was difficult because his own car was stopping her from doing so. He was really unfriendly and told her he'd let her tires down if she didn't do as he said! I really don't think he was joking. Was not made to feel welcome at all. Also it adertises all day food but when we wanted something to eat in the afternoon we were told the chef didn't start till 5pm.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Norma D

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Lincoln
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Decided last minute to visit area and meet up with old friends. Checked on "I know Yorkshire" website which gave a price of £10.00 per night for the intended date. early august. I contacted York House caravan park who confirmed they had vacancies, silly me I did not think to check the price directly with them and on my arrival I was told it was £25.00 for the night plus extra for my dog. I explained that this was not the price given on the web site. After negotiation the site manager was professional in his manner and honored the web costings. They found me a great pitched which had the most wonderful view. John the Hungarian was most helpful, making sure that I knew where everything was. The hookup point was quite a distance from the pitch but he loaned me an extension for my hookup lead. A later search the staff conducted themselves of the "I Know Yorkshire" website brought up the same £10.00 charge per night. Overall the team at York House Caravan Park went above and beyond the call of duty to ensure I was looked after.
The "I Know Yorkshire" website are displaying other campsite actual costs which makes York House CP initially look very favorable, however I suspect they may well receive lots of issues similar to mine, (see other reviews). I also notice on the IKY website that there is nowhere to leave comments or to contact them, so it seems that they are not that committed to providing an impartial overview. Would I use York House again?. As an independent female traveller, without a doubt I would, but not at £25.00 per night + add on's.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
10 Thank D D
Billingham
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Visited the site end of May, upon arriving found that the charges were £25 per night per pitch - even though the website prices said that it was only £20 per pitch. When I pointed out this error the guy just told me 'this was the price he was told' and that I would have to pay it.

My friend was also with us, and even though the pitch pricing is for 2 adults and 2 children he charged us an extra 4 pound per night for him as we had three adults. I thought he could have let us off as we didn't have any children and I felt that we had already been over charged.

For a three night stay we paid over 80 pounds. I had previously visited the site earlier in the year so had booked and left a ten pounds deposit. The guy couldn't find any proof of this and was unwilling to take ten pound off our bill until I showed him the receipt for the deposit, which I had luckily kept.

We were then took to our pitch by an older gentleman who explained the site rules rather abruptly and spoke to us as though he was shouting at us - we weren't impressed with his customer service skills at all!

Even though the site states that they do not allow groups of the same sex we were pitched next to a group of 6 young men. This wasn't an issue, as they didn't make a sound - until 3am every morning when they arrived back to the site after hitting the nightclubs.

The site also has a 'quiet time' policy which didn't really seem to go into effect at all. There were lots of large families on the site who seemed to think it was okay to allow there children to run around screaming until well past midnight every night. Maybe this is a problem with today's society perhaps?

The wash facilities weren't the best. The shower block was very smelly and there was no ventilation system in place which multiplied the smell problem. Although the facilities were free to use, there was never any hot water for showers after not very long.

It also seems bizarre that the tent pitches are the furthest away from this facilities block as these are the people who will use it. This isn't an issue until you need the toilet at night and can't be bothered to walk up the hill to the toilet block, so go behind the bushes and meet a number of other people there who have the same idea as you.

We didn't use the shop on site, however we did use the bar. The atmosphere was lacking somewhat but the food selection was good and was of good quality. You could take the food away in plastic containers too - which is something we did a few times - great idea! The pints however were lacking in quality. The 50p price difference (cheaper at the site) isn't worth it when your pint is rubbish!

Walk into Whitby took us an hour and a half. It wasn't particularly difficult and it was quite enjoyable. The route takes you to the top of the abbey - so you can walk down the steps and count them rather than having to walk up them!

Walk into Robin Hoods Bay (RHB) took us an hour, which was all on busy roads - however I am told that there is a route through the countryside on old train tracks which is safer. There isn't much at RHB but the markets and stalls are definitely worth a look when they are running - we found quite a few hidden gems! RHB gets very busy as it is only a small place, however if you use the pubs a little further inland (not directly next to the coast) you will find a better atmosphere and quicker service.

Hawsker, the village over the road is more of a hamlet! However, the pub, the hare and the hounds, is brilliant. Best pint and best meals we had all holiday (although we didn't have a particularly bad experience anywhere). The staff will go out there way to make you comfortable and the atmosphere is brilliant. Lovely little pub, however it is definitely worth booking a table for food!

The village also had a bus stop which serviced the local buses to RHB and Whitby. However, if there are more than three of you it is cheaper to get a taxi anywhere rather than the bus!

We are visiting the area again but using a different campsite as we weren't impressed by it at all.

I would recommend the site for larger groups/families who don't mind other screaming kids and large groups. Definitely not the site for couples and walkers.
The best part of the trip has got to be finding the little gem that is the Hare & Hounds!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank James K
Leeds
Reviewed 21 November 2011

This was our second weekend away in our new tourer and was pleased to find somewhere still open at this time of the year. We arrived late on about 7pm to be greeted by the very friendly owner (with a GSOH) who helped my partner reverse the caravan onto the pitch as he is still a little unsure (free lesson!). He stayed with us untill he was sure we were happy with everything and showed us where everything was. The toilet and shower block were very clean. That evening we had a few drinks in the bar of the hotel which was quiet, due to the time of year but still very nice. I mentioned to the lady behind the bar how nice it was of the owner to help us like he did and she told us that was her dad. We got the impression from this lovely family run park that nothing is too much trouble. The daughter happily got us a local number to ring for a takeaway that evening which delivered promptly. Next day we woke to a glorious sunny day and again the owner and his wife were more than happy to show us the best walk into Whitby. 3 miles of beautiful scenery along the Cinder walk is a must. Later that evening we had a drink in the bar and when we enquired about the local pub "The Hare & Hounds" we were told the easiest way to get to it as its very dark in the area. The Hare & Hounds is one of those cozy pubs with friendly locals just wanting to tell you all the best places to go. We enjoyed Sunday lunch here, all homemade and well worth a visit. So in a nut shell the park is lovely, the family who run it are very friendly and more than helpful, and we cant wait to go back when its busier. Thanks for a brief but delightful stay :o)

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
12 Thank JaxSte
north west
Reviewed 18 October 2011

we have had our tourer on a seasonal pitch for this year and cant rate it high enough , thanks to steve and gill and joe ,this is the best site we have stayed on the site is friendly and very well run ,nothing is to much trouble .

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank blindmannorthwest
Worksop, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2010

I know the title may be strange but we could not relax on the site. As per a previous review we were told to park our campervan a certain way and there seemed to be lots of rules and regs. For such a big site there was a lack of privacy and everyone seemed to be on top of each other. It had more of a youth hostel feel.

We go camping to escape and there was just something abit strange about this site.

What I would say though is that the facilities are excellent. They are very very clean, the showers are warm (and there are plenty of them) and the staff are very helpful and polite

Nice site with good facilities but not for us (£50 for 2 nights)

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank reviewjj
nottingham
Reviewed 25 August 2010

Our first time camping and pleasantly surprised by both the facilities and the attitude of the staff. Toilets clean and had no trouble with finding a vacant shower. Had breakfast on site which was excellent and good value for money. Noisy pitch with partying neighbours but site patrolled by staff and they were requested to cut the noise after 10pm which they did. Very good visit will definitely go camping again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
7 Thank jazi68
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitby
Raithwaite Estate
Crows Nest Caravan Park
The Plough Inn
The Plough Inn
#2 of 5 in Sleights

Been to York House Caravan Park? Share your experiences!