Mayfields B&B
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Whitby
See available hotels
  • Bar/Lounge
Hudsons(Whitby)
Larpool Hall(Whitby)
  • Beachfront
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed at Mayfeilds for just 2 nights but wish it could have been more. Immaculate, generous sized rooms,easy parking and great breakfasts.
We arrived slightly earlier than anticipated but were warmly greeted and made to feel welcome.
Town is a steady 15 min walk downhill,so beware that means the walk back is uphill and in the heat we were lucky to have we cheated and got a taxi back from town. Lazy I know but hey we are on holiday.
Lovely gem of a guesthouse, can't wait to come back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen M
allywally8, Owner at Mayfields B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Hi Helen, Julie and I are so pleased that Mayfield's ticked all the right boxes for you during your short stay in Whitby recently. This is our 18th season in the hospitality business, so it is always good to read the comments of a seasoned traveller, who generally address the core areas pertaining to a good, or poor accommodation experience.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

stayed at mayfields great rooms fantastic breakfast julie was a great host very clean would stay here again bit of a walk into whitby especially when your coming back on a night very big rooms breakfast very good and lots of it

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

We thank you very much for your kind and concise appraisal of your stay with us at Mayfield's in Whitby. We also concur with your philosophy, by choosing your accommodation that little further from a robust, and busy centre, may cost a little extra, but is very much worth it.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

We have not stayed at this guest house for the reason given here, but this is a word of warning if you telephone for a tariff quotation.
I called and spoke with the proprietor called Alan, who quoted me £580 for two double rooms over four nights to include full english breakfast. Fine I said, and Alan agreed to send me a conformation letter by email which he did the following day. However the confirmation stated that it was then going to be as follows;
A Cash Payment of £616.00 is due to upon your departure. Thank you.
This is £36 more than he quoted on the telephone the evening prior.
I emailed Alan and pointed out that he had got his figures wrong and asked that he corrected his error please.
He then telephone me and stated that he had qouted me the wrong discount and offered me a 12.5% dicount instead of the 15% he had quoted on the telephone origonally. I said that I wanted him to honour the 15% discount and the total price of £580 he had quoted, but he simply said. 'You're obviously unhappy with my revised offer, and I don't need the money anyway, so we'll just cancel the booking' To which I replied okay that's fine, thank you.
I just felt that for someone in this line of business who insists on only dealing in cash payments, and doesn't have a card payment machine, and therefore doesn't take a deposit, it seems not to ring true somewhere along the line, wouldn't you think?
I felt that guests should be careful of this sort of strange buisiness practice when requesting a quotation from the Mayfiels Guest House that's all.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Andrew B
allywally8, Owner at Mayfields B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

May I say how surprised I was to find something as simple as a price negotiation failure between the proprietors of two leisure and tourism businesses, finds itself upon a hotel review page!

Mayfield's accommodation prices and any applicable discounts, are clearly stated within our webpage. Mayfield's always submit a written final price confirmation, to all its prospective customers, which also includes details of our cash only payment policy.

As both parties were unable to agree a favourable price for the booking, I exercised my right to decline Andrew's potential business.

A wealth of experience within the tourism industry has proven this to be the best solution for both parties, who find themselves in a situation such as this.

Hence nobody feels financially out of pocket, and nobody has had a below expectation holiday experience. Due to any misrepresentation of facilities, or service.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Just stayed at Mayfields. The place was very clean and comfortable. Our room was large with comfortable chairs to relax on. ..It was in walking distance of Whitby. I cannot fault anything. Julie was a great laugh. I wished we could have stayed longer. We would definately go again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I don't do Guest Houses - but in Whitby you really do not have a choice. So Mayfields was a pleasant and unexpected surprise. The room we were given was spacious, king size bed, lovely furnishings and immaculate throughout. Two leather armchairs to sit and watch the provided satellite TV with tea & coffee making facilities - and fresh milk supplied daily in its own metal vacuum flask! The large bathroom (again immaculate) with an oversize shower cubicle was spacious and airy. Breakfast cooked by the owners was excellent with a surprising choice for such a small establishment and all served on the best crockery. Lovely.
What a lovely surprise for not a great deal of money Mayfields certainly impressed with first class standards of comfort and cleanliness.

Room Tip: There are only five rooms available if our experience was anything to go by I would recommend early booking.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple