“Worth a visit”

Ranked #54 of 151 Whitby B&B and Inns
North Linconshire
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

My wife and I stayed over for two nights in this quirky old pub. It is in the older and more quaint part of the town on a narrow cobbled street. It deserves the plaudits of both Cask Marque and CAMRA for its beers.
Staff were friendly and knowlegable about their product.
The room was OK for a couple of days - uneven floors were part of the make up of this old building - any longer and you might hanker for a bit more space which in Whitby in August would cost more! There was a TV, tea/coffee making facilities, alarm and a fair amount of storage for clothes.
The nearest parking was some 120m down the road at £6 per day. The traffic wardens are keen throughout the town! Visit this place and enjoy...........

Room Tip: The front rooms suffer from street noise in the early morning when refuse collections and deliveries...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Greeklover20

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Sheffield
Reviewed 27 July 2013

On our recent family visit to Whitby - we were made to feel very welcome at this little gem of a pub. Excellent beer, beautifully preserved rooms, and a great location on Church street (near the Abbey steps). The friendly staff took the time to talk to us and were very welcoming of this family and our large dog - so much so that we made this our regular for the week. Hope to be back soon.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank marie L
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I visit Whitby regularly and we always go in The Black Horse. The staff are without fail friendly and knowledgeable about the beer. Great location close to the Abbey steps etc. Dogs are made to feel welcome and there is always a good atmosphere with a mix of locals and tourists.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Philkerry
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013 via mobile

Small but perfectly formed and loads of character. Situated on alovely cobbled street. Toilets are a tight squeeze. Staff friendly and helpful. Local and guests ales available.
Just around the the corner from the Abbey and the harbour.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank JANBELL59
Doncaster
Reviewed 16 April 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Black Horse for two nights. Originally I rang and asked how much a room cost per night and was told £50. ( I had my iPad in front of me with the prices on) it said on the site that the rooms were £60. I said that I would book for the two nights, at which point the phone went dead. I rang back several times but no one answered. I rang again some 10 mins later and the same female answered. I told her I had just rang and she had said £50 per night, at which point she started to laugh and said that she had a lisp and she meant to say £60. ????
Needless to say, I still booked it as it was a last minute decision to go to whitby. The rooms are ok...very tired and very basic. There was no breakfast included in that price.
Would I stay again??? No I don't think I would. The location is excellent, right in the middle of Whitby and a stones throw from the Abbey, shops and other pubs, but, that's as good as it gets....
I would say £40 would be about as much as I would pay.
My advice would be to shop around, there must be better accommodation in the nearby area.
Sorry Black Horse but you definately need a face lift!!!!

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank hobskr
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Stayed for three nights room was cosy clean with lots of little treats staff where fab helpfull and friendly always a smlie when you walked in snacks where yummy and the ale too thanks all would stay again :-) mandi & eamonn

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank mandimoomoo
lincoln
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Our favourite pub over our weekend at Easter in Whitby. Totally traditional serving a good selection of beers. Cosy atmosphere inside and very busy every night. Situated in the heart of the town, easily found when walking about. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple