“not bad”
Review of The Dolphin Hotel

The Dolphin Hotel
Ranked #76 of 152 Whitby B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 April 2011

good location very basic had no shower just bath ,not very friendly dont think anyone spoke till we left and said bye

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 November 2010

the place stunk of tobacco smoke, my wife wanted to leave before we checked in and when we returned after being out for a meal at 9 pm the place was all locked up. Total rip off

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2010

Hm, it is a shame that landlords are not vetted before given a license, as this liscencee hasn't got a clue about customer relations, running a pub/hotel and NO people skills. having spent all day Saturday outside the pub we decided to go inside, my mate who is 7foot tall was by passed for over 30 minutes at the bar as the staff congregated at one end of the bar serving those coming through the door. So I went to the bar. Pointing to a member of staff the oversight I was asked to leave. huh apperently using my finger to attract a member of staff is rude, insulting & arrogant. Well shocked at this and no explanation we were told to go. going back to find why the following day I showed my aggressive side to the glass collector who gave me a verbal abuse from behind the bar previous only to suddenley surrounded by the staff. I was NOT intimidated infact it me more angry. The good people of Whitby dont deserve this blot on the landscape and the locals DONT like the the people that run the erm hovel.
No food although advertisised a dirty pub rude staff, staff that dont know what they are doing and pub that once its had your money wants to kick you out is not British.
PS The excellent review on here Birchester of Newcastle THAT is the Landlord of the Dolphin.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank Fido67
Reviewed 2 November 2010

We have stayed at the Dolphin for a few years now and this was the worst stay we've had there. I have to agree with everyone elses comments about it needing a revamp but it was only done last year!!!! The rooms are small and very expensive, especially with no breakfast included.

I went to the bar one night and was given the correct change. When I went again, the girl short changed me and when I pulled her about it she went straight to the till and got the EXACT amount of money out so she knew she'd done it and was actually blatant!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SALLYLIS
Reviewed 20 September 2010

We stayed at The Dolphin for a week. The room was a good size with plenty of storage. There was a table and two chairs by the window with a lovely view of the River Esk and the Swing Bridge. The tiny shower room left a lot to be desired though, tiny sink, toilet seat fell down every time my husband used it. No towel rail. The room was 'cleaned' every day, though the shower room's rubbish bin was never emptied. Luckily we had taken a bar of soap with us as there was none supplied. The bed wasn't made at all or the floor swept. The tea tray was filled up every day with plenty of tea, coffe and biscuits. We didn't see much of the staff but they were friendly when we did. The location was superb and we couldn't have wished for a better view or more central position. Although breakfast wasn't included, we found a lovely little cafe just across the bridge called The Singing Kettle which opened at 6 every morning and the food was freshly cooked and delicious. All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would go there again. It could do with some money spending on it to redecorate and renovate it, then it would be lovely.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Portley11
Reviewed 28 August 2010

We have just come back from a two night stay at the Dolphin and I am still buzzing! The room (No.1) overlooked the bridge and the harbour and the views are magnificent. The room was clean and comfy and the staff couldn't do enough for us. The only bug bears were the lack of breakfast and the people in the Apartment next door. They decided to come back at 1.30am and didn't give a monkeys who knew. Unfortunately the wall between our room and theirs was quite thin but after we had a 'word' it was nice and quiet. I can't recommend the room enough though - it was a perfect place to sit and watch the world that is Whitby go by. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and we will be going back next year if we can.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2010

I visit whitby at least 4 times a year and i visited the dolphin hotel in August 2010. the staff were the rudest people i have ever had the misfortune to come across. i was with half adozen friends but there was at least another 10 people in the place when the staff decided to close the bar at 10.45. they were actually arguing with us that our watches were wrong. the bouncer was agressive and just as rude as the staff. when we asked for a number so that we could complain they were even ruder - and wouldnt give us a number. i wouldnt step foot in there again if it was the last place in whitby. who ever owns this place needs to mistery shop it and take a look at the behaviour of the staff. they are ripping you off - asked 25 customers to go at 11.00pm when the place was full. they didnt call time because they didnt want people to get served so that they could all go home early.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank welltravelled027
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitby
White Horse and Griffin
#1 of 3 in Pickering
The Angel Hotel
The Angel Hotel
#1 of 20 in Whitby

Been to The Dolphin Hotel? Share your experiences!