“Bit better than average but not quite very good”
Review of The Dolphin Hotel

The Dolphin Hotel
Ranked #68 of 155 Whitby B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 January 2014

A party of 4 adults, 3 children aged 1-7. All of us had fish and chips. (you can't really have anything else in Whitby, can you?) Not a bad price, not bad tasting either. The odd bone still in the fish was disappointing and in my opinion the batter was a little too thick and so not crisp in places but the others were more than happy. Would've been nice to have proper hand cut chips rather than frozen ones but they were ok.

Having now read other reviews about the landlord, I can see where they are coming from, he was rather quick to ask us to fold up the buggy, despite it not really getting much smaller once it is done. We made light of the situation and just thought it was a bit silly. The landlord seemed more relaxed serving us drinks and even came to ask us how our meal was.

I would return, based on my experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Called in for a meal, got the drinks at the bar and after a couple of minutes the barman came to the table and took the food order, he came back 5 minutes later and said one of the things wasn't available at the moment so I changed it. The place wasn't very busy but had to wait about 35 minutes for the food, it was fine and the staff pleasant. Didn't get to see the landlord so can't say anything about him.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 December 2013

This is my new fave place for a beer in Whitby. The beer is kept exceptionally well, the staff friendly and the music (especially impromptu evenings) brilliant.
There was no food available whilst we were here, due to the flood.
Come here if you like a good real ale and a bit of folk music.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 December 2013

When we first arrived we were greeted with a smile and made at ease from the start. We had booked a room at the rear of the property which we didn't know. We were allowed to have an upgrade no problem. The meals were very good and reasonably priced too. The breakfast sets you up for the day. When we visit Whitby again in the future we will be booking in again. Thank you for a great stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Went in to this establishment on the Goth weekend, place was very busy. Shame landlord and landlady were sat on stairs a bit tipsy. Landlord shut bar at eleven pm! Even though there were plenty customers in! Thought they would have relished the business on a Saturday night.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank angi378
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We first stayed at The Dolphin in 2010 when it was very run down. It now has new owners and they have completely turned it round. Whereas the bar was very scruffy it is now a pleasant place to sit and watch the world go by. They have also opened one room as a restaurant, with a lovely view of the river Esk. Our room (1) was HUGE, it had a wonderful view over the river Esk and the swing bridge. It had a table and chairs in the window and we took full advantage of this. The bed was large and comfortable with side tables and bedside lights. The room was very spacious with a large wardrobe. The bathroom was very large with lots of shelf space for toiletries, always very important.

The landlord and landlady were very friendly. Breakfast was served in the restaurant, so we could look at the view. There was a good selection of cereals and a large bowl of fruit, also yogurt and fruit juice. Followed by a large cooked breakfast, which was very good.

The Dolphin has a wonderful location right in the centre of Whitby. Would recommend highly.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Portley11
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

I never like starting reviews of other pubs with the words 'As a pub manager...' and this is my 1st and probably last trip advisor review but the Landlord of the Dolphin crossed so many lines during my short visit last friday night that i will brand him as an embarrasment to my proffesion. I was in a group of around 20 people of varying ages out the night before my wedding.(I mean grandparents, aunties/ uncles not young roudy lads) No one was loud, no one was swearing or anything like that, all were very respectfully talking at the volume you would expect in a busy pub. To our right was a tv showing football. On our left was a group of accoustic musicians. England scored and maybe 10 people cheered, of which maybe 2 were in my group. Mr grumpy pants marched over and yells at the whole party 'will you lot shut up, people are trying to play music over here'. A little bit of advice for him. 1. Get a shave, you look dirty and your breath smells 2. Do not put unplugged acts on during busy nights 3. Do not show football if you dont want folk cheering. Simple. anyway, being the head of the group if you like, i figured i could maybe calm his attitude towards us and explained that we meant no disrespect. I was the grabbed by my coller and told if i didnt leave he would 'knock me out'!!! what a loon! He must be 80 years old and he's picking fights with a 31 year old man in a big group. The guys gonna get seriously thumped one day... fortunately for him we are of good nature and left quietly. Unfortunately for his business he lost a stack of cash that night that his competition gained. I am not suprised to see a bunch of similar reviews on here as the doormen in another pub took great joy in telling me similar stories of crazed behavour. On a possitive note, the rest of the staff were great as was the other pub.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank peter-vencman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitby
White Horse and Griffin
The White Swan Inn
The White Swan Inn
#1 of 3 in Pickering
Harry's Lounge Bar & Brasserie

Been to The Dolphin Hotel? Share your experiences!