“The Worse Holiday of my Life”
Review of Beacon Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitby
Beacon Farm
Reviewed 30 July 2013

From the moment we got to the camp the Male owner of the camp had a terrible attitude with us as a small family friendship unit...
For the week leading up to our arrival to the site we rang up in advance to ask some questions about site rules and regulations as well as to check it was ok that we were a small group of 6, only to be arrive at the site to a ill mangers greeting, and constant surveillance of everything we did on the site...
Then be confronted 2 days before we were due to leave by the Male owner with a insulates attitude against us...

I would NOT recommend this site to anyone due to the attitude we were confronted with as we arrived and the way we were treated by the owners...

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank FinnleyJay

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Got to start the review off by saying we will not be making a return trip to Beacon Farm. We stayed in a tent, whilst our friends had their caravan in one of the top pitches. The tent field is on a great big slope (I kept sliding off our air bed haha) this along with a field full of talkative sheep as neighbours resulted in a very sleepless weekend.
The facilities were poor; very dirty floors, grit in the showers even though I was in there at 7.30 am, and 20p for 3 minutes. The 3 minutes of water were either cold, or intermittent. Although the toilets did always have plenty of loo roll. The "mirror and sockets" for drying your hair are in the room for dishwashing and the socket looks like it should come with a safety warning, this room in particular looks a bit dilapidated.
Our friends had a little boy with us who thoroughly enjoyed the play park - swings, see-saw, climbing frame. However, it could do with some TLC by cutting the surrounding grass to make entry easier.
Staff here were very friendly, along with the site dog, but it just wasn't for us without some work doing to it first

1  Thank Bovrilina
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights after deciding to try out camping. The owners are friendly and helpful, even though we intended to arrive after the reception shut, and we managed to find a spot without too much trouble. I used to visit the farm when I was ounger for the ice cream which is excellent. The toilets and showers could be a bit cleaner but were more than adequate for what we needed. We didn't use the shop that sells basic items. The farm is ideally located for getting to Whitby and the surrounding area.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

Good value site. Mostly flat pitches, with enough space. The biggest let down, and the reason I won't be going back, is the dirty shower block. We are seasoned campers and don't mind roughing it a little but this was too much even for us. It costs 20p for 3 mins in the shower (there are 2 ladies and 2 gents). On both mornings I put 60p in the meter and got 9 mins of a freezing cold trickle. Not very pleasant. The tiled floors were soaking wet and very muddy. The toilets were not smelly but certainly not sparklingly clean. The whole shower block is in need of a good revamp. You also have to pay 20p per ice block to have them frozen.
All in all I enjoyed my stay but will not be returning.

1  Thank JenniN86
Reviewed 9 June 2013

We have stayed at Beacon Farm near Whitby with our campervan a number of times it’s a very friendly informal site that welcomes dogs, its well known for its ice cream, there is a shop and café on site with a pub just around the corner. The site has great views down to the Abbey at Whitby.

Reviewed 3 May 2013

Went for breakfast. Good cooked breakfast, all done to order so a little wait, but no problem as we were on holiday anyway. Friendly staff.
Nice views across the countryside from inside coffee shop.

Reviewed 4 October 2012

I have been going to Beacon farm for short stays for the last three years, it is a very basic site with a shower and toilet block, washing up station (that is not outside and has hot running water), a lovely cafe and the most wonderful ice cream.

I love going to this site and have recommended it to all my friends (I am even dragging some off this weekend to stay there). I like that it is very small and gives you space to fly a kite, play football, badminton, tennis or anything that takes your fancy. ( this is all on grass, not courts. I don't want to mis-inform) They only take a limited amount of tents because the facilities could not support any larger numbers. I like this as I don't want to be tripping over guy ropes due to crowding. The playground was waterlogged in the summer, but everywhere was and could probably do with a little bit of attention, my 10 year old loves it.

They take dogs and I have never heard anyone complain of any dogs behaviour, Jet is the farm dog and wanders round in the morning to see if anyone can't finish their bacon.

Overall a really relaxing place with no pressure, a wonderful view (did I mention you can see Whitby Abbey, espiecally cool when the sun is going down and shines through the windows). Lovely people who cant do enough to help you. I will continue to go.

I have yet to visit the pub but will get into it one day.

1  Thank Ellsmum