All reviews bouncy castle ice cream parlour shower block great campsite phone charging ice blocks fire pit working farm cinder toffee camp shop cafe on site family campsite mins drive away electric hook ups lovely place wonderful site pot washing
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I found the site very dirty, the shower blocks were rank! You have to pay for showers yes only 20p but you don't get water just a cold trickle, the toilets really yakking although is always with toilet paper which then makes me think if they are topping up this why can't they clean it as well? The campsite..there was dog poo all over the grassed camping areas which is bad enough but there is young children running and playing around it, no effort was made to clean up the mess. The dog that lives on site just walks around the tents without being accompanied, a fear of dogs would be no good. The staff are rude and seem very stressed all the time, not very welcoming at all. Would I recommend...NO! Don't go!

3  Thank chantelle r
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We initially picked Beacon Farm after reading through the reviews on here. We are happy with cheap and cheerful. We figured we could deal with grotty showers for a few nights, and we did. The showers are not well looked after, only on our last day (day 5) did I get a hot shower. 20p for 2 minutes 50 seconds. We rationed our two boys to see how well they could wash with 20p, a lesson learned.

After having spent a day out we returned to find a tent pitched right in front of ours. This tent had a whole empty field to choose from but parked right in front of our door. We had pitched for the view of the abbey and the sea. Now we just had tent. We were very angry about this but having had a wallet stolen elsewhere during the day we just went to bed.

My partner went to speak to the owner about it the next morning whilst I was battling the polar cap that was my shower and its insect guardians. As i returned to our tent I spotted the owner and began to relay our tale of woe to him. He stopped me mid-flow and told me he had spoken to my partner and had nothing further to say to me!

I spoke to my partner and it turns out the owner had been incredibly rude. She had been told that she had to measure the distance between pitches as he said 'it was obviously within the legal requirement of 15ft canvas to canvas'. He also told her that if she wanted more room she should buy her own field. She was told that this is what she should be used to. We've camped all our lives hence our annoyance at the closeness of this pitch. (We did measure the distance and it was ten foot but we knew they were leaving by this point and had absolutely no faith in the rude owner.)

The tent owners overheard our upsetness(?) and were very apologetic and very nice. They were only there for one night. But the rudeness of the site owner really soured the rest of the time at what could be a lovely place...during the week.

Come Friday evening our handful of tents had exploded into a heaving site. Lots of pals hooking up for drinks and fun. Brilliant for them, not so good for a family of four, with two primary age boys.

We won't be back here. Bad customer service will never be supported by us.

8  Thank TichMcG
Reviewed 10 August 2013

The site is in a lovely area and only a few minutes drive from Whitby, on a clear day you can see the town in the distance. +ve

It's an amicable place, the owners are reasonably friendly and they make lovely ice-cream. +ve

The campsite itself is a farmers field. It's well maintained, nice short grass, no stones etc +ve

Your have to be selective where you site yourself, the top end seems to attract noisy chav families. I only found one water tap, a rather grubby thing near the play area. The kids were playing with it and shoving things up it. Yuck! -ve

The toilet block. This is where the fun starts. It's not exactly dirty, it's just grubby and not well maintained. The hot water tap warns "Very hot water" but there's no plug so you have a choice of scalding yourself or using stone cold. There's no mirror over this basin either, or shaver point. The toilet itself is so badly fitted that it wobbles. The low energy lightbulb and it's family of insects is switched off during the day, so you have to do it in the dark. It's a bit whiffy, they don't empty the bins very often and I think the urinals may be leaking into a cubicle. -ve

The disabled toilet has a clear glass window, so don't forget to wave at the workmen! -ve

The showers. Don't, just don't! Even Norman Bates would be scared of the showers on this site, I think the curtains must be 50 years old. Ew! You get around 8 minutes for 60p which is reasonable but the temperature fluctuates violently. Perhaps it's effected by people turning taps on and off, but it really shouldn't happen. They're also very dark and grubby. -ve

All in all, it's okay for a VERY short stay, but until they smarten their act up and start paying attention to the shower block, water tap etc I'd give it a miss. Shame; it could be lovely with a bit more effort.

[If it helps anyone, there's a good O2/Giffgaff signal]

Reviewed 30 July 2013

From the moment we got to the camp the Male owner of the camp had a terrible attitude with us as a small family friendship unit...
For the week leading up to our arrival to the site we rang up in advance to ask some questions about site rules and regulations as well as to check it was ok that we were a small group of 6, only to be arrive at the site to a ill mangers greeting, and constant surveillance of everything we did on the site...
Then be confronted 2 days before we were due to leave by the Male owner with a insulates attitude against us...

I would NOT recommend this site to anyone due to the attitude we were confronted with as we arrived and the way we were treated by the owners...

Date of stay: July 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank FinnleyJay
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Got to start the review off by saying we will not be making a return trip to Beacon Farm. We stayed in a tent, whilst our friends had their caravan in one of the top pitches. The tent field is on a great big slope (I kept sliding off our air bed haha) this along with a field full of talkative sheep as neighbours resulted in a very sleepless weekend.
The facilities were poor; very dirty floors, grit in the showers even though I was in there at 7.30 am, and 20p for 3 minutes. The 3 minutes of water were either cold, or intermittent. Although the toilets did always have plenty of loo roll. The "mirror and sockets" for drying your hair are in the room for dishwashing and the socket looks like it should come with a safety warning, this room in particular looks a bit dilapidated.
Our friends had a little boy with us who thoroughly enjoyed the play park - swings, see-saw, climbing frame. However, it could do with some TLC by cutting the surrounding grass to make entry easier.
Staff here were very friendly, along with the site dog, but it just wasn't for us without some work doing to it first

1  Thank Bovrilina