“Won't be visiting again”
Review of Beacon Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitby
Beacon Farm
Ranked #12 of 53 Speciality Lodging in Whitby
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Won't be visiting again”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed here recently and the owner was down right rude. A shame really as this could be a lovely place if they made the effort. Perhaps they should learn some people skills and buy some stronger disinfectant for the loos which smelt of urine. Definitely won't be visiting again and will take my business elsewhere!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Nicola C
Chris S, Owner at Beacon Farm, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
WITH GROUP BELOW
In response to your review. I am aware that this is the extremely large group that was booked on last weekend that we had many problems with unfortunately. Firstly there was more than one complaint made about your group by the other campers regarding excessive noise and swearing near young children. Secondly two of the young boys in group blatantly ignored a sign that says do not go beyond this point unless you have authorised access. Thirdly one of the tents in your group ignored our signs again and pitched up without booking in, then decided to trespass into our neighbours fields and into there woodland (not easily done). Fourthly we had to warn you two times about noise and this was around the half 11 time. I myself then told two men in your group again about noise at half past 12 at night about noise and did say if I have to warn you again we would unfortunately have to ask you to leave. In all honesty I would not like to be coming down to your tent in the early hours of the morning when I could quite happily be in bed. I would reiterate that if it is an all day drinking session that you are after whilst camping then this definately isn't the place for you. I also note that you say that you would not return again and quite simply even if you wanted to we unfortunately wouldn't let you out of respect for the other friendly campers that we get week in week out. Many Thanks

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Brotton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This was the third time we have stayed at the site and the last. Having two Happy visits previously we had an issue with the owner who was very rude. On our second night a member of staff asked us to turn down the music. I apologised And immediately turned it off altogether. From then on Party members took it in turns to walk to the limit of Sound Making sure that other campers were not been disturbed by us. Several hours later the owner barged into our area And told us in a very aggressive manner that he was sick of telling us to Be quiet. We tried explaining that we had only been asked once to turn the music down And that we had been checking our noise levels. He continued to Be rude And Even threatened us with police action. A point worth noting Is that we were a large family group all with children who were asleep in our tents. Surely if we were been extremely noisy our kids would have not been able to sleep. Our friends And family have visited on numerous occasions for camping And have Made special journeys for the ice cream. All of us were disgusted by his attitude And have all vowed never to take our business there again.

8 Thank timnlinz
Chris S, Owner at Beacon Farm, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Great place to come and chill. This was our 5th visit.
Kids play area works well as they disappear to let you get on with the cooking (and also strangly disappear when the washing up needs doing).
If you can't be bothered with cooking and washing up, there is the cafe that we didn't go to this year (I enjoy the challenge of wild cooking), but in previous years has been great for Full english.
Field a bit lumpy under my sleeping mat, but this is camping, and the sleeping mat is a bit defective. Others slept fine.
Showers and toilets not the cleanest, but again this is camping
Showers were warm rather than hot (and remember your 20ps - although you can get them from the office if you need some)
Staff very pleasant and other campers polite.

Previous visit nearly spoilt by other rowdy guests, but site manager got them to leave which everyone else on the campsite was happy about.

This is not the place to go for nightlife, wifi, wild parties or late nights - it's a great place to go for a relaxing camp with some added luxury of a warm shower in the morning and the cooked breakfast if you want it.

And you can take the dog and park next to your tent (they never let it get too full, so book early)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Peter N
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I have been camping here since 2008 with my son. We have been from April to September and the site is always clean. We get a warm welcome to each visit when booking in at the shop. You can get the forgoten supplies beans, water carrier etc. The facilities get cleaned daily with a new coat of paint for each new season. We have stayed when tractor pulling and farm equipment was on show. Very interesting. As this is a working farm you have to be aware of farm traffic and respect the country lifestyle.

1 Thank Billikwak
manchester
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Just back from 2 nights camping (Fri and Sat) at Beacon Farm. We had a great couple of nights, we found the showers and toilets absolutely fine, my experience does not mirror the recent reviews, the site had a couple of groups of D of E young people, their behaviour was impeccable, nice and chilled atmosphere on site, had breakfast both mornings on site, absolutely fine, I'm sorry if the other reviewers didnt have the same experience, I however would have no concerns around returning to enjoy the farm, the view of Whitby in the distance and the local pub on the edge of the site and plan to return soon.
Ps no dog poo in sight!

1 Thank HelenA-Shaw
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

I have been going to this camp site for the past 8 years, and every time it has been great fun. The rules are quite simple, don't litter, don't irritate the other campers, and stay off the crops in the lower end of the field. There are no designated camps, or curfews, which gives the site a much more relaxed atmosphere than other campsites I have stayed at. Exactly what I'm looking for in a campsite.
There are plenty of toilets only a short walk from where your tent or caravan will be, which are in good condition, along with 20p showers and washing up sinks. The little convenience shop is equipped with anything you might forget, washing up liquid, matches, fresh milk and though not open all night, opens very early in the morning. The site is within walking distance of a decent pub if you're looking for a pint or an oven cooked meal, a tea room and homemade ice-cream parlour, and Russwarp which has a miniature train track and rowboats for hire if the weather's good. The view of Whitby abbey is very picturesque in the day and at night there is no light to block out the stars.
I have found the owners to be pleasant and amiable when I met them. There was one incident when a group of young lads were playing their music quite loud but it was dealt with promptly buy the farmer and I had no further problems.
Overall this is a fantastic campsite, I would recommend it to everyone.

1 Thank Ollie H
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We had a great time at beacon farm reasonably priced owners were very pleasant and welcoming as were the staff in the tea rooms we have been before and always have our breakfast there as the food is really nice so is the ice cream yes the shower block could do with an upgrade but it's ok and campsite rules are put in place for a reason and if you respect them then you won't get bothered by the owners really good we keep going back would recommend it for a cheap break

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank michael h
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitby
Resolution Hotel
#2 of 5 in Sleights
Ruswarp Hall
Ruswarp Hall
#1 of 1 in Ruswarp

Been to Beacon Farm? Share your experiences!