“Service so bad it was funny”
Review of Gatsby's - CLOSED

Gatsby's
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Phone Number 01947 820053
York
“Service so bad it was funny”
Reviewed 13 December 2011

Poor fish & chips (especially for Whitby) and belligerent staff.

Just like John Clease staying on at a hotel as he was so fascinated with the rude behaviour of the owner (which later lead to writing Fawlty Towers) ..... We carried on drinking cups of tea at Gatsby's just so we could watch the staff being rude to other customers!

Eventually we were asked to leave so as to free up our table to people ordering something more expensive than tea!

• Visited August 2011
3 Thank Paul S

“Terrible food and restaurant”
Reviewed 24 November 2011

I went yesterday worse fish and chips I ever had fish was taseless batter was poor did not taste of ihaddock should be closed down

2 Thank Carpoo
Newcastle, UK
“Cheap grub and good portions”
Reviewed 5 September 2011

I visited Gatsby's with my partner a couple of days ago and I have to say, the meal was quite pleasant. We only wanted a quick bite to eat before heading to the pubs on a Saturday night and Gatsby's did the job. The cafe seating downstairs was closing at about 8.30pm when we visitied, whihc ended up to our advantage as we were seated upstairs in the restaurant. The views from our window seat were fab. We both ordered cheeseburgers, which cost only £5.95 and were served with a good helping of thick chips (not homemade unfortunately, but tasty all the same) and a side salad. The burgers were very greasy, but they were also very tasty and good value wiht the portion size. One down side is that the toilet upstairs was quite grubby but for a quick meal before hitting the Whitby pubs, Gatsby's is ideal and we would return.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank angellea69
Reading
“Shocking - but at least we didn't bother with pudding”
Reviewed 13 April 2011

Tasteless wet fish, batter soggy, mushy peas tinned and over microwaved, margerine on white sliced bread, ketchup with 15% tomatoes, poor quality satchets of tartere sauce. Staff were definately not the happiest. We only went in because other places were closed or full (Tuesday night). Mistake in hindsight as we would have been better with a takeaway from another chippy.

• Visited April 2011
1 Thank SchoolTeacher0118
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Alround Fantastic”
Reviewed 15 January 2011

I visited this restaurant with my wife and two children on New Years Day due to it's location.
The Waitress offered us a table upstairs, the views are fantastic.
My children are usually hard to please at meal times, they must have enjoyed it as they keep asking to go again.
Even though we were spoilt for choice with the menu my wife and I chose the local Cod and Chips as we were in Whitby
They are the best Fish and Chips I have ever had will definitely go again.

• Visited December 2010