“Walk past this place if you can help it”
Review of Gatsby's - CLOSED

Gatsby's
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Phone Number 01947 820053
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Im from Northern Ireland and have to agree with those that are commenting truthfully about Gatsbys food being unedible. I once had chips/burger/mushy peas from there. the chips were hard, the burger had grease freely flowing from inside it and the mushy peas were, well looked they had been cooked in water from the river esk.. the customer service is poor, the place needs an uplift, and the prices for the rubbish food they serve needs reworking. no one from other businesses is going to comment unfairly to take business away from them, theyre doing a brilliant job of that themselves.

1  Thank Carl W

Reviewed 10 August 2013

We were advised by the staff earlier in the day to reserve a table if we wanted to dine the same evening which we did. We expected it therefore to be a popular restaurant. However through the duration of the meal there were many empty tables and we were there till it closed. With hindsight this is no surprise. The meal was a let down- it was like microwaved frozen food. The serving staff originally brought us the main meals for a couple on another table who were still eating their starters. My husband had the steak & ale pie which came smothered in 'Bisto' instant gravy. The salad I had as a starter & which accompanied my chicken dish had been overdosed in olive oil. It actually left a large puddle of oil on the corner of the dish the starter was served in.

The toilet (there's only one ) was stained and dirty. The waste bin was overflowing with used paper towels.

The positive is the staff were very friendly, polite and accommodating. It's a shame the food they serve lets them down badly.

1  Thank Suzy772013
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Called on a busy night and managed to get a table with no booking.
A reasonable menu offered a decent range of food which was served quickly and piping hot.
we tried the Whitby Breaded Scampi which was well presented and a generous portion.
The premises are well decorated with a golden age of Hollywood theme with pictures of Bogart, Cagney, Bette Davis, Audrey Hepburn all around. The staff were friendly, fast and efficient.
All in, a nice meal at a good price in pleasant surroundings.

1  Thank John H
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I read a lot if reviews on this restaurant before I went and it was only a recommendation from a friend that made me go because people had not been kind about this place.
No it isn't anything very special or different than others, but what it is is the cheapest and most reasonable priced place I've been to in Whitby, with food that isn't greasy spoon.
I went for my anniversary and was very content with what we had.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

Went in this restaurant and had a lovely meal in there including a dessert. Good value for money with good harbourside location. Having discovered that 2 or 3 pubs on the harbourside in Whitby do not do food at all, this one made up for it and will be one of the places I will be back to if ever I am in Whitby again. Friendly staff.