“It was alright”

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Phone Number 01947 820053
“It was alright”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

I had a jacket potato with cheese and my partner had chips.
Overall it was alright. No butter on my potato though :(
Milkshake was quite nice

Overall just average meal out

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Keep walking past”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

This is one of the worst meals we have ever had. We order 2 courses and we had to wait 45 mins for our first course to arrive. The place is a bit of a shambles. One of the chefs constantly was running up and down the stairs beside us which was really annoying. Other people had already left and we were considering it also. Whilst we were sitting someone went to the supermarket to get mushrooms and we jokingly said wonder if that was for my starter. Then suddenly the chef clattered down the stairs again to get a catering pack of small prawns from the freezer - which is downstairs beside where they make the desserts - and we realised this was probably our starter. My husband got a prawn cocktail that was straight out of the 80's. Very bland. Even the marie rose sauce was bland. I had stuffed mushrooms. The Stilton had been stuck into the mushroom after they had been cooked, so you had a solid lump of cheese with a tiny bit melted. But the sad thing was the mushrooms had a stronger taste than the cheese. Our main meals arrived and they were just as bad. My husband had ordered the fish tea. This was a frozen fish from a freezer shop. It was the kind that is sort of cut into an oblong!! He said the taste was not great. I had ordered sausage, mash and gravy, which promptly got sent back. The mash were tasteless and cold, no amount of seasoning could revive them. The sausages were overcooked and had the consistency of those really cheap sausages that the insides have been liquidised before being put into skins. And the gravy wasn't even done properly. How can you go wrong with bisto. Well they had too much water in it and hadn't used a wisk so I had runny, lumpy, tasteless gravy. The waiter did apologise and ask if we would like something else. I didn't dare.

• Visited August 2013
Preston, United Kingdom
“Mum went to Iceland and bought better food!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

Frozen chips, scampi, fish 'bits'. Fish is from Iceland but it's the store. Fish pie was 2 layers of sliced (slightly hard)potatoes and minimum filling of fish. Staff apologetic regarding our truthful comments.

• Visited September 2013
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
“Great cream tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

Having read other reviews on here I have to admit I've never had anything other than 'tea' items from here, scones, cakes, tea, coffee etc so can't comment on other menu choices but as a cafe fora mid morning pick me up it really hits the spot. A great scone and pot of tea with great service for relatively low cost.

• Visited September 2013
York, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fish is best”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

Having taken my niece and nephew and their 3 children to Whitby after a day on the railway, I had promised them the best fish and chips in the UK. When I arrived I had no idea were to take them when I passed the Gatsbys, there was no room down stairs so was asked to go upstairs. The room was excellent and a large table by the window which was open on a lovely warm evening was just what the children needed, the view is delightful looking over the harbour and the church on the hill, what more could you want. The staff were very attentive. I cannot comment of the burgers etc as we came to a fish restaurant to have fish. I was not disappointed and my 38 year old niece commented that it was the best fish she had ever tasted and the children agreed who had an adult portion. The batter was light, not what they are use to from the Chippy. The price was reasonable baring in mind the location. You could of course eat cheaper round the corner and sit on a bench. Thank you for a great experience.

• Visited August 2013