“Pricey but nice”

Seacliffe Hotel
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
“Pricey but nice”
Reviewed 12 May 2013 via mobile

We rung up for a late booking, we were a little concerned as it was the only hotel that had any vacancies, but we had no need to worry, lovely hotel, big enough so you didn't feel like you were invading personal space (I have stayed in b and bs before where it has been like staying in my grandmas spare room) but not a big chain hotel. I think the room was expensive for what we got but we did get a nice sea view and a pair of binoculars so we could look out to sea. U get towels and body wash shampoo soap and towels included, as well as a kettle and teas and coffees. Breakfast was included in our price, my partner had full English and enjoyed his but I chose poached egg and salmon and was brought 10 tonne of scrambled egg and about 5 tiny flakes of salmon (that isn't an exageration), over heard a woman behind and it had happened to her the previous day, they did have cereal though so all wasn't lost. Would stay here again if it was cheaper.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Claireabella89

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Reviewed 9 May 2013

We were a bit nervous at the fact that this hotel was the only hotel out of about 30 hotels in Whitby that had a room available over the bank holiday weekend as we had taken a risk and arrived on the Saturday lunchtime as a spur of the moment mini break. We were wrong to be nervous. It is a lovely hotel, the room was spotlessly clean with lovely modern decor and bed linen. No candlewick bedcovers in sight! The only negative I can say is that we found the mattress to be very hard. We were upgraded to a sea view room...room 4...at no extra charge and that bed was a lovely brass bed with brass bedstead and the mattress was perfect. Breakfast was faultless...continental and also a hot breakfast made to order. Full English fry up, smoked salmon with scrambled eggs or locally caught kippers which my husband ordered and were yummy!

I love Whitby and the location of this hotel was spot on for us..the surrounding area was lovely, clean and very picturesque. A lovely walk to the shops and I particularly love the little old fashioned ticket office converted into a coffee shop called Clara's on the beach front. Have taken the hotels phone number and will definately stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank blanket72
Salford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

This was a last minute booking, The Hotel appears to have just finished its refurbishment, i would still continue the upgrade by painting over the Wood panels and doorframes etc to complete the brighter image, plus the Bathrrom doorframe in room 10. On a more positive note we found the Owners and staff very friendly. The waitress's and reception personnel were very helpful and nothing seemed too much trouble. We had the evening meal which was cooked and presented to a high standard, albeit i would put a couple of Roast spuds with the Lamb Dinner to compliment it. The Breakfast was one of the best we have had, freshly cooked, piping hot and good quality. There are 2 floors and no lift so this maybe a problem to some people.

Room Tip: Request a recently refurbished room with a sea view
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kevin n
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2013

this is our second visit to this hotel for a quiet weekend from the stress and strains of life , yet again nothing to complain about lovely quiet hotel staff brilliant and room excellent .

they met my kneeds with a lactose and gluten free menu which is a bonus .

Room Tip: the sea view is excellent
1 Thank Vicki P
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2013

1ST Class Hotel, Most enjoyable stay will use again, service very good as was the cleanliness, excellent breakfast.Bit of a walk if your not to good on your legs. Lovely views from room, nice part of Whitby.

1 Thank Robert O
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2013 via mobile

Just returned from 2 night stay at the Seacliffe. Hotel is in a lovely location and the view from room 5 is fantastic. Parking was a nightmare during the day and we ended up parking way down the road. The staff were lovely and they accommadated my Gluten free diet which was a real bonus. The bed was comfy and the towels and linen spotless. Now for the negatives. Room was not very clean. Coffee stains down front of cabinet, bottom of wardrobe really dirty, bathroom floor not clean. Very sticky around bottom of toilet. Didn't like walking around in bare feet! General cleanliness was below standard for what we paid. Coffee and long life milk in room was limited. No hot water from sink on Saturday night. Basic toiletries. For £105 a night it just wasn't good enough. I don't think we will be going back to the Seacliffe. We have stayed in other hotels and b and b's in Whitby which have offered more luxury and were cheaper.

• Stayed April 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We arrived mid afternoon after a 200 miles journey. We checked in and was told were to find our room. The room was not clean and had several sticky cup marks on the windowsill. The room was full of dust and there was a dirty tissue under the bed. I brought all this to the attention of the very young gentleman who was on the Reception Desk. He came up to the room to take a look. He then disappeared and came back with a cloth and cleaning spray. It was then I told him that I was not happy with the room and I would like to move to a clean room. He told me to wait a minute and disappeared. After waiting 40 minutes I went back to reception to ask what was happening. It was then he told me he had cleaned a different room for me and just gave me the key for it. This room although cleaner than the first, was very small. The bathroom was very tiny and there was very little wardrobe space to hang clothes. As we were only there for the one evening this would not have be a problem but there was no where to put our travel case which was quite large as we were travelling for several days. The bed was very uncomfortable, and the mattress was very lumpy with springs sticking up. When booking the hotel we had not noticed the review which said " dog friendly hotel" and probably we would not have chosen to stay if we had. The thing my husband did not expect though was to be nearly bold over by a very large dog which seemed to want to race him up the stair. The breakfast was plentiful but unfortunately the plates were so hot the breakfast still seemed to be cooking on it (hence the fried bread was impossible to eat) If I have to find something positive to say about this hotel I can say the towels were very clean. I did complain to the owner on checking out the following morning and she did seem generally surprised and took seriously my complaint. After much negotiation, the cost of the room was reduced to an acceptable price. Would I stay at the Seacliffe again DEFINATELY NOT!! Would I visit Whitby again, most certainly. Whitby was a lovely place to visit, especially the Magpie Café.