“lovely place but spoilt by rude manner of one of bar staff”
Review of Raithwaite Estate

Raithwaite Estate
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed 8 February 2012

we have been before for meals and found everthing wonderful, so we decided to stay for 2 nights, we went to the poachers bar and chose a table and my wife went to the bar to order drinks and a meal, she was told by the girl there that she would take our order from our table, so my wife turned to come back and as she did i witnessed the girl at the bar give a rude gesture to my wife behind her back.
this is not the kind of behaviour you would expect from a hotel like this or indeed any.
i was not going to stay but my wife said to forget it as she loves the place, we hope this girl will realise if it was not for guests like us she would not have a job. thank heavens all the other staff are so good.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank angela s
rjman499, General Manager at Raithwaite Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2012

AngelaS, Thank you for your note.
As usual we are thrilled to see our returning guests and regular visitors; however I was saddened to learn of your recent experience. As service professionals, the ladies and gentleman of Raithwaite pride themselves in honouring our guests with care and sincerity, however on this occasion it appears this did not happen and for that, I apologize.

As you know form your previous experiences from visiting us, we have received fantastic and supportive feedback regarding the team here at Raithwaite, however I will ensure to share your comments with the food and beverage team, so that we can learn from your experience and ensure going forward we can address the comments you noted.

I appreciate your honest feedback, as its vital information like this that helps us create excellence. We are continuing to strive to make Raithwaite a very special retreat and I do hope you will give us another opportunity to extend our true hospitality to you.

Richard Mansell

Write a ReviewReviews (2,186)

Reviewed 6 February 2012

Raithwaite is truly a lovely hotel, friendly and attentive staff, great food, brilliant breakfast!!! We enjoy walking, so to be 2 miles from Whitby and just a mile from Sandsend is great cliff top walking. The hotel opened in October, and there are still a few service issues with house keeping and the like. These things will iron themselves out with good in house training. We can't wait to revisit in the Summer, when the cliff top walk won't be so cold and blustery. Good job all, keep it up!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
rjman499, General Manager at Raithwaite Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2012

Mel H,
Nothing like a hearty breakfast to set you up
for the famous coastal walk!. The team
appreciated the feedback and we look forward
to seeing you again in the summer

Reviewed 5 February 2012

Had this booked for a few months and anticipation was high after seeing the reviews on this site.
Arrived at hotel and initial impressions were great, pleasant surroundings and very friendly staff.

We opted to go to the spa for a swim/sauna. It was very busy and noisy. Only 5 bed/loungers and all occupied.

In the evening we went for dinner. My partner opted for the scallop starter, the scallops were very small and a little overcooked. I opted for the belly pork and it was very nice and portion size was fine. We then opted for the chateauBriand cooked medium rare and this was cooked to perfection and delicious.
This is where the fun started. My partner said "fire" and again but more urgently. The recently vacated table to our left was on fire! A large cloth napkin had caught fire off the tea light on the table. I immediately started to try and extinguish this firstly by hand but the fire was large and was not easily going out. Eventually I managed to douse the flames and using water killed the fire. Not one member of the waiting staff notice the fire. Had my partner noticed the fire 30 seconds later the whole table would have been on fire! And what was already a serious incident would have become a major one. Eventually the staff were alerted by the restaurant full of smoke. I did not receive one word of thanks.

We then decided to go to the bar but first I had to change my clothing as everything was smelling of smoke along with the singed hairs on my arm.
The bar was like a kindergarten, kids running around amok. The couple next to us were very unhappy about it, like ourselves and described the bar like Wetherspoons. We decided to retire to our room at midnight as the kids were still running amok.
In the morning we had ordered breakfast to our room for between 9:45 and 10am. 10:10am came and still no breakfast so called reception and 5 minutes later breakfast arrived. No toast. So another call to reception for the toast. Everything was warm not hot and obviously the breakfast had been sitting for a while.
On checking out we expressed our dismay and mentioned the above incidents . Staff were apologetic but did not offer any compensation. They did say they would mention it to the manager.
In all this was a very disappointing weekend. 5 star hotels should do a lot better. Children should not be allowed in the bar in the evenings. Had it not been for my reactions at dinner the hotel could have been looking at a very serious incident.
So what was supposed to be a relaxing birthday weekend turned into anything but relaxing!

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank Darrendw

darrendw, I am truly sorry you had a disappointing experience.
We have received many wonderful comments and feedback since the hotel
opening a few months ago, however on this occasion it appears your
experience falls short of the level of service which we aspire to provide
to all of our guests.

We endeavour to provide a relaxing environment for all of our
guests and strive to fulfil our guests needs via our outlet policy programs and
children’s swimming times. I appreciate your comments on these policies
and we will continue to review these during months.

I am sorry that you felt the restaurant team did not take your fire prevention
assistance seriously. They have re-assured me, that they conveyed their appreciation
to you and once again they thank you.

I appreciate your feedback, as its vital information like this that helps us create excellence.
We are continuing to strive to make Raithwaite a very special retreat and I do hope that you will
give us another chance.

Reviewed 5 February 2012

This appeared a very good deal via Groupon however we were treated differently to full paying guests. Check in was 3pm we arrived at 3.40 and room not ready. Told to wait in bar.3.50 for a coffee, very dear. Room eventually ready at 4.30!! Dispute being a hotel guest could not get booked into restaurant until 9.15pm as its open to non residents. Ended up going to harrys bar in whitby which was excellent and v good value for money. Spa good but steam room not working. Room was large and clean. Excellent breakfast however.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank rbrannan0015
rjman499, General Manager at Raithwaite Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

rbrannan0015, Thanks for taking the time
to write a review about your recent stay.
Appreciate your comments and we'll certainly take them
on board. Next time you visit, give us a call
prior to your arrival and we'll be happy to
make a restaurant reservation for you.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 3 February 2012

We stayed for two nights prior to Xmas. The welcome was excellent and the room we had fantastic! The bed very comfortable and warm. Lovely toiletries and tea/coffee with homemade biscuits both days. Pleasant staff, lovely pool and spa.

• Stayed: December 2011

sheliaeileen, Thank you for your kind words
Glad you enjoyed the homemande biscuits!

Reviewed 31 January 2012

We have just had an over night stay at what I consider to be the best hotel I have ever stayed at.
We booked with a voucher from Groupon and was a bit worried that we may not get the same service as other guests but that was definitely not the case.
From start to finish our stay was fantastic,service,food and cleanliness all first class and well worth its 5* rating.
I would like to say a big thankyou to management and their FANTASTIC staff for making our stay and my husbands Birthday so very special.
Also thankyou to Richard and Miss (?) Swain,for their friendly and excellent bar service.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and hope to return in the not too distant future.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank haelcoco
rjman499, General Manager at Raithwaite Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

haelcoco,
The team were so pleased to read your kind words and
appreciate the supportive comments.
I agree, we are so lucky to have amazing ladies and
gentleman working at our special retreat.

Glad to hear your husband's birthday was a success.
You'll have to come back and celebrate the next one with us!

Reviewed 31 January 2012

Purchased a 1 night stay for 2 with afternoon tea and breakfast via Groupon and was not disappointed. Fantastic service and facilities with even better food. Stayed in a deluxe room with a balcony view of the landscaped gardens. Definitely worth a stay if your visiting Whitby.

• Stayed: January 2012

Steve_bullockuk
Glad you enjoyed your stay and the visit to Whitby
See you again soon