“The odd niggle, but a wonderful hotel...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Raithwaite Estate

Raithwaite Estate
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“The odd niggle, but a wonderful hotel...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

My partner and I have just returned from the Raithwaite Hall Spa hotel near Whitby. The first thing we noticed was how lovely the grounds, gardens and hotel are. The hotel complex is split amongst several different sites and is part new and part renovated from old Victorian buildings. It is clear that no expense has been spared on the attention to detail and standard of the complex. The customer service was exceptional. On arrival, the reception staff and porter (who offered to take our bags and showed us around our room) were both very pleasant. The room itself was a club room and I later discovered that these rooms are the smaller of the rooms. They are at the top of the building and therefore have a loft feel in that you have a Velux window instead of a traditional window offering a view. We were, however, satisfied with the room and it definitely had a luxurious feel to it. My only criticisms of the room was that it didn't have a hotel fridge and so we were unable to keep drinks cool and that the WiFi signal was pretty much non-existent and by today’s standards this is pretty poor, especially within this type of establishment. I would recommend that the hotel deal with this matter as a matter of urgency. Also the TV was positioned on the wall in a difficult position for viewing and the bracket didn't allow you to move the it towards the bed.

On the first evening we chose to eat in the restaurant and had drinks in the bar. The food was spot on in terms of quality, taste and presentation. Whilst the meal wasn't cheap, it wasn't expensive either. The staff in the restaurant and bar were very attentive, especially in the bar. The bar attendant created my partner his own cocktail, which was delicious. We had breakfast on both mornings and yet again the food was delicious with every possible choice of breakfast food imaginable. I would give the place 5 stars for its breakfast alone. The staff in the breakfast room were both polite and attentive and the level of customer service was high.

On both days of our stay we used the spa which was small but adequately equipped and nicely decorated and kitted out with a jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. There was a small swimming pool which my partner used but due to the water being cold I opted not to. I think it would have been nicer for the pool to have been heated, however, this is a personal choice. The spa attracts a mix of people and ages. Whilst the staff and customer service is generally very high, it does appear to drop considerably when dealing with the reception staff at the spa. On both occasions there were staff who were busy chatting to each other and appeared disinterested in caring for the guests.

Overall, with the odd issues put aside, we both had a lovely time and would give the place 4 to 4.5 out of 5 stars and would definitely go back again.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a view then avoid the club room, and if you need to use the internet you wil...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Raithwaite_Hall, Manager at Raithwaite Estate, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Dear Bboy01,

Thanks for reviewing The Raithwaite Estate. It Motivates all our Team to read your comments regarding the exceptional customer service you encountered.

It would be a pleasure to have you stay again in the near future, our Mixologists look forward to creating you another cocktail!

Regards,

The Raithwaite Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (557)
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

We booked a night away as a treat; we were upgraded to the presidential suite that was beautiful. The room was well appointed and we were very well looked after. The gardens were lovely. We had a lunch in the conservatory - it was very well prepared. The pool was super and the staff were most attentive. We had a great nights sleep. Breakfast was efficient and well presented. The service across the board was faultless. The manager Mark was fantastic and his staff were a credit to him. We will recommend to friends and we will go back.

Room Tip: Presidential suite rocks!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Raithwaite_Hall, Food & Beverage Manager at Raithwaite Estate, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Dear karen.simpson,

Great to read your most recent review of our Estate, it was our pleasure having you stay with us for a second time. We all look forward to the third!

Harrogate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

Went here with my mum for two nights at the end of July as a finishing uni treat and was very impressed. The hotel is lovely, situated in a great location a 20 minute walk from the cute little village of Sandsend and a ten minute drive from Whitby, The grounds are lovely and the hotel interiors are beautiful. As soon as we arrived the staff were incredibly welcoming and were always happy to help. We had two spa treatments each, I had a manicure and a facial (the facial was excellent, very relaxing). The food was also lovely, had the steak both nights it was so delicious and the breakfasts were wonderful with lots of fresh, good quality, local produce and omelettes cooked to order right in front of you. We were also very lucky with our room (we stayed in the main hall) as despite the fact it wasn't a suite or anything we had a really good sized patio/balcony with views of the garden.
Have given it four stars rather than five as my mum had a massage and wasn't that impressed with it as it was labelled as a deep tissue massage and the masseuse didn't focus on her lower back like she asked, just sticking to her shoulders and neck.
Otherwise, a delightful hotel would really recommend!

Room Tip: Ask for room 104 - you get a massive patio/balcony
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Raithwaite_Hall, Manager at Raithwaite Estate, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Dear soozwhits,

Thanks for taking the time to review Raithwaite Estate. It pleases me that you found all aspects of your stay most enjoyable. I will be sure to pass your Mother's comments on to the Spa.

Our welcoming, helpful team would love to welcome you back in the near future.

York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

This is a very special place. Surrounded by stunning countryside, alongside the coast and in easy reach of Whitby. Add some exceptional. friendly service, excellent food and comfy, well equipped rooms and it is obvious from the start of your visit that this will be a memorable stay.

We were there on a Yoga and Spa break which made the whole experience even more special and memorable. The pool is lovely and the busy spa offers a range of treatments. The yoga was held in a new addition - The Keep - and this was quiet, warm and had views of the gardens (which are well worth a walk round).

The food at dinner was excellent and the service friendly and efficient. Breakfast is well worth a vist alone and even more enjoyable after a yoga class.

Left feeling relaxed and very well cared for...

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Dear aynne39,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Special Estate. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your Yoga Break.

Our friendly team of professionals hope to welcome you back in the near future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

Booked a one night stay at hotel as a treat and was very disappointed from start to finish. Stayed in the keep which is a new building and only recently opened. On arrival very friendly staff showed us how to get to room. Once in the room first impressions were good, very clean and smart room. Then took a second to indulge in some peace and quiet, but hang on what is that noise? Oh that is the room next door and people outside room, first disappointment, wafer thin walls. So no peace and quiet so decide to put tv on, only tv not working properly, many channels unavailable. Hmm so will phone reception to see if someone able to come have a look at tv, but no telephone does not work! So decide to use bathroom before heading down to reception to report problem. In bathroom notice no bin! At reception make staff aware of faults, bin found, phone won't be able fix and will send someone up to look at tv. Lovely staff member came to look at tv but still no joy, would not work, oh well. Went to bar for some drinks before returning to room. When enter room am hit by the heat, very hot room. Decide to open balcony doors, oh dear that was a mistake, wasp nest just next to doors, wasps everywhere! Close doors, call it a bad job and go to bed, unable to sleep due to stifling heat. Morning, breakfast, once seated at table friendly staff ask tea, coffee? Yes pleased and a clean cup as this one has a dead fly in, yuck. Eggs? Fried? Poached? Yes please fried, only once arrived undercooked ( raw in parts ) so left. Not good. Checkout. Having never complained about a stay in a hotel in my life I felt these issued had to be raised, again lovely staff on checkout. Compensation for this very poor quality stay in hotel, £50 off room rate of £200!! Would you pay £150 for a room with no tv, no phone, no bin, to hot, can't open windows due to wasps nest, dead fly in cup and undercooked eggs?! We accepted as do not like to complain but very insulting offer.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Katyknight2
Dear Katyknight2,

It deeply saddens me to read of your dissatisfaction during your recent stay at the Estate.

I sincerely appreciate your feedback & please take my word that I am taking all your comments very seriously. It’s vital information like this from our valued guests that helps us to create excellence.

We are continuing to strive to make the Estate a unique and distinctive destination and with your feedback we will achieve those goals.

I will send you a private message in which I will leave my contact details, as I would love to discuss the frustrating aspects you experienced in more detail.

I hope one day we can welcome you back to Raithwaite.

Halifax, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

This morning I was going to write a review for this place which is fantastic, but my partner said we hadn't had breakfast yet so I should wait until I had don before writing the review - good advice!
The stay was almost perfect except for the service at breakfast. On being seated we were asked if we would like poached eggs, and that they would arrive almost immediately after we ordered them. After waiting for almost 25 minutes and asking for them again they arrived. The quality of the food I have to say was excellent, but the service wasn't. We ordered mixed toast, and then asked for some more, neither were mixed! The second also seemed to take quite a long time to arrive.

We had some cocktails at the bar last night, and ordered a Peach Bellini. We were told they had ran out of the mix they use, so he had to improvise with something else, they were good, but not as good as Harry's Bar in Venice!!!

WiFi reception in our room was almost non-existent and certainly caused quite an issue but knowing they wouldn't be able to do anything about it I didn't mention it to anyone, but be very careful as there is very little cellular reception in or around the hotel.

Room 305 was a delightful room, extremely large and just a delight to spend the night in, very spacious with spectacular views and design.

Spa facilities were all as expected, very practical and relaxing, apart from the air-con being set to almost freezing in the gents changing rooms, not what you need when you've been in the warm pool!

All in all very enjoyable, but the management need to take notice of what is being said on here, and hope they take the time to read through reviews from time to time.

I would have probably had an issue if it was any warmed because of a lack of A/C, but to be fair it's unusual to be as warm as it is right now in Whitby!

1 Thank Andrew F
Dear Andrew F,

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review of our Estate. I was disappointed to read about the service you experienced in Breakfast, this is not acceptable, both the Team and myself let you down on this occasion.

Andrew F, I assure you that all reviews are taken very seriously by the Management teams, & actions are already in place to address some of the points that left you frustrated.

I hope to see you back at Raithwaite in the near future, where I have no doubt we can restore your faith in our fantastic product.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

We would like to both praise the staff VERY highly and also raise some genuine concerns. We accept most are teething issues re building but still paid for the privilege of snagging the room in new part of hotel.

I did mention most of this on departure but having had two good nights’ sleep on returning home thought it appropriate to write a review and highlight the issues that frankly did take the edge off our stay. The highs’ exceptional the frustrations cumulative.
My wife and I are carers for elderly parents so we cherish an odd rare break to recharge the batteries and choose nice places very carefully. I booked Raithwaite Hall for 21st to 23rd June as rated No1 Hotel in Whitby and with phrases like “a short break to escape the hustle and bustle of modern life” in mind having read the Hotel website. I opted for “Executive Double: 1 Large double” at £398 for Bed and Breakfast. (Fri/Sat nights).

Having booked for a relaxing weekend we found the stay both a true delight and well below expectations in certain areas, mostly teething issues with new building. On departure being told the hotel was aware of the heat issue and resolving the issue with portable air conditioners this week has left a bitter taste. The lack of air conditioning OR a ceiling fan in those rooms a huge mistake.
First impressions. We turned in off the A174 Sandsend Road to a wall of disguised constructor’s hoardings and a wait for a reversing wagon. (Not on street view but significant works to greet you). Up the drive and found first car park full. We navigated through the packed main car park amidst contractors in middle of extending and laying tarmac. (Very helpful, polite finding us a space). Tar spots on my wife’s new coat (bought for holiday) noticed when we got home tried to clean but tiny marks, think from simply getting onto buggy as roller in use not 10 feet away and man with tar in a watering can as they do. Not moaning but annoying. A member of staff Peter greeted us at the car and whisked us to the main hotel in a golf buggy,….. bag fell off the buggy landed on end holding my new glasses x 2 pairs (all ok fortunately)…. Arrived amidst a large wedding reception. Peter. Really friendly chap and credit to company.
The receptionist sadly was rather abrupt about us not being in this part of hotel (How would we know?) Guest falls down stairs whilst having this conversation. Whilst technically correct re the booking not saying specifically where, the response was a bit abrupt. The only semi negative interaction with any staff member. EVERY single member of staff we met from that point during course of our stay friendly and welcoming. Cannot fault the core staff in any respect. Young staff mainly who looked smart and professional. All friendly and smiling. As good as anywhere we have stayed.
The building however: Sadly a few issues some that frankly on reflection taken the edge of what should have been a “relaxing” break and glad to be home. Perhaps unlucky with room position?
As we entered our room in what can only be described as a very well-manicured and presented building the heat hit us like a sauna. (More on this later). The room was K1110, in the new "Keep", only just fully opened this week obviously so pristine. At ground level from front, (disabled parking excellent my wife works with disabled children so notices such things) balcony at rear with rooms below. We opened the balcony door and delighted with the accommodation, nice view over the woodland and newly laid lawn below. Although rooms not large (Premier Inn size and similar layout) more than adequate. Bathroom with large bath and walk in shower lovely fittings and spotless as you would expect. Very pleasant and fresh décor. My wife loved the toiletries especially the shampoo.
Room had good fittings, big comfy bed, hairdryer, safe, iron and board, flat screen TV, robes for Spa etc. Kettle-Tea/Coffee/Hot Chocolate/Biscuits. Phone/I-pod dock. Desk /Chair. Room has LED lights and clear safety instructions.
Negatives re building HEAT collection we both slept on top of covers for both nights as unbearable even with balcony door open never done that anywhere before including abroad. The rooms are in need of some close scrutiny re snagging and on reflection, staff are aware of failings as told portable air conditioners arriving on Tuesday 25th June. Paying £398 for two nights B&B disturbed sleep is a bit steep knowing this, however nice the place might be.

Adjoining door to next room could hear every word even if trying not to. Assume link doors for family bookings? Exclusive use? BUT a simple heavy curtain both sides might help dampen the noise.
The balcony had small glass screens and whilst respect it is a means of fire escape other issues with these. If you stand at the rail on the balcony as I did to take pictures and turn back towards your own room you have a clear view into adjoining rooms (not good is it). Missed a trick here in my opinion as could have had chairs on balcony for each room and more privacy with a more stepped panel. I am 6’ 3” and the screen size does the bare minimum if that. Sitting reading the paper on the bed and looking out of the windows you get a mirror effect off the balcony glass (when the light and dark background combine early evening) again seeing into adjoining room so end up closing curtains! More worrying our patio door would not lock at all and only manageable with the safety chain. As balcony has easy access from the side a security issue for anyone not knowing it is not locked fully. It looks ok but isn’t holding in the plate. (You also have damage to frame from installation where the door has been opened BEFORE the bump stop fitted gouged the wood with the safety keep.

If the patio door open in room for the heat and a rain shower the water torture begins as the downspouts have a bend that amplifies the drip drip drip….sounds petty but in middle of night like a drum, not sure how you stop that but very annoying all the same when struggling to sleep. Of course one noise disturbance leads to hearing more. Have videoed this and could send via dropbox.
Friday evening ….. Had a gorgeous meal in Brace restaurant. I had a simple Sirloin steak, watercress, French fries and Onions. My wife had Taglietele. We both had divine sweets fresh and tasty and all cooked and served really well despite pressures of a big wedding at same time. Credit to kitchen staff cooking was faultless. Again staff very friendly but not obsequious like some places. Bill was £62 for the two of us excluding drinks. Would have used the bar but very busy with evening wedding guests (160) Chose to eat in Whitby on second night.
Then had a lovely walk up to the Lakeside and through gardens in setting Sun.
Gorgeous grounds! Short walk down to Sandsend and beach via footpath in easy reach (for goodness sake throw some bark chippings on path near hotel.) Like a mud pool. What a guest would do walking the other way in lightweight shoes would do is a puzzle. As a business no excuse not to maintain properly.
Sandsend itself a small seaside village with some pretty walks and a couple of very clean beachside cafes, interesting little shops, not many, but nice and lifeguard’s on hand.

Back to Sauna, (sorry room) ..Iced water. Relaxing evening. “Boom! Crash! Bang” as fireworks at wedding. Now congratulations to couple and not being a party pooper, not even late, accept as a commercial necessity and certain they had a lovely wedding day courtesy of hotel but other guests really should be warned about the possibility of disturbance/noise PRIOR to stay and given option re date choice especially when escaping for a quiet weekend. Living on fringes of Manchester we get sick of fireworks from a nearby wedding venue that frighten our horses and dogs. So a relaxing weekend is definitely NO fireworks. We could come anytime between Tueday to Sunday if warned. The fireworks could be heard clearly in Whitby apparently.

The hotel is dog friendly, only difference is flooring and very practical. Showed us a room with view of bringing ours. Our dogs however would have gone mad at fireworks so visitors need to be aware re events. Even gun dogs can dislike excessive fireworks. For any wedding an absolutely gorgeous setting for all aspects anyone using venue will be delighted but our setters would be likely to have gone mad at fireworks.
Then the music from bar was a little too loud just high enough to be an issue, unless a Buble' fan, not sure why so loud (Quieter on Saturday night and much better) ….couldn’t close inner door due to heat…. if wanting to sleep and finally on noise front a bathroom fan that doesn’t cut out on a timer (as it should) had to turn off at isolator to get any break from the motor.
So close to a perfect break yet the sum of the parts do not add up to relaxation or value.
Oh wait it is 6.15am and staff need to get breakfast set up outside room clunk of pottery, glass on glass, (directly outside door, laughter and chatter. The open plan design not good in this respect. Clearly not aware it disturbs and again suspect we have stayed in the worst room possible. So get up and have my shower and think will have another half hour. You can hear mobile phone go off in next room through thin door and conversation. Doors need an extra sound curtain that can be pulled back if opened up for family use.

In room, carpet lifting at bathroom door a trip hazard, cheap fitting, cost saving pence, raised with staff. Sorted in seconds.

Welcome pack? First hotel I have ever stayed in that has no tourist or facility information in the room. Know the TV has generic info re facilities but inadequate detail.

Phone signal will annoy some for sure as if like us need to be in touch with home you have no mobile signal in room on O2. No instructions re wi-fi did not know until re looking on website after getting home. My iphone would not pick up any signal in building or wireless network.

Breakfast on both days was lovely. A continental choice and prompt service, tea and toast etc. As nice as any we have had anywhere. Staff all friendly and professional. Exceptionally quick on re setting tables.
Saturday evening, gardens looked gorgeous and room immaculate. Met new kitchen staff in garden being shown where to source fresh herbs etc. Curtain closed in room to try and help with heat and bed turned down thoughtful but sadly still excessive heat build up.

Would I return? Certainly as once the teething issues out of way going to be a lovely place to stay. Would I want a quieter room? Without question our room was a low value choice but price does not reflect that. I would not accept it again. I am sure if further away from dining area stay would have been different experience as eluded to sum of parts added up to a less than great stay. Once the building work completed it will be exceptional at the moment I feel value for money not quite where it should be despite best efforts of staff. The sleep issue a big one for us.

Area in general drove up the coast to Staithes steep decent to harbour, rugged scenery and one main street slightly shabby by comparison to other places we visited.
Runswick Bay...lovely picturesque clean award winning beach, slightly Portmerrion feel without the fake. Tight little walkways and plenty of space on beach. Looked family friendly and dog friendly down on beach.
Generally clean, easy parking and friendly locals.
General area.
Raithwaite Estate is adjacent to Whitby Golf Club and Whitby itself easily accessible by car or taxi. Whitby offers family memories and tradition. Must dos include visiting The Magpie for fish and chips excellent fresh produce as you might expect. Town was spotless and as long as you enjoy a walk interesting.

The Raithwaite estate is a developing complex the spa, grounds gorgeous. The staff are exceptional just need to give a little more up front attention to detail is required to compare with the best hotels.

To be clear WE as a couple rarely complain about anything but do undertake mystery shopping for some very well know companies. On this occasion we left with mixed feelings but only truly recognised how flawed certain minor things had been during the course of last evening and this morning as still tired.
Thank you to Amy and Mark for emails and taking our points seriously. It is a lovely place just needs a snag or three sorting.

Would we book again certainly. However I would check what functions are on and the room as ours wasn't good in terms of experience.

The key issues are NOT A LOT wrong at all but the sum of the parts did take the edge off the weekend but do respect down to teething issues with building NOT staff who we rate very highly.

Finally perhaps a serious need to consider some large pot plants in the central area of the “Keep” as although personally I love the clean lines it does have a slight industrial feel of a prison wing with landings it needs breaking up with subtlety. Perhaps four or five plants strategically placed would break up the lines.

The efforts of the staff gives potential to be outstanding. Thank you to those staff we met who took pride in what they do. The attached photos taken on my phone as we ventured round the complex.

Room Tip: Simply check for functions and check room carefully as appear to vary a lot. K1110 on our stay had s...
4 Thank PennineNick1
Raithwaite_Hall, Manager at Raithwaite Estate, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Dear NickF_11,

Thanks for such detailed and constructive feedback. As we already discussed, your comments were taken very seriously & our solutions to your cumulative frustrations are already well underway.

I read with pride your positive feedback regarding our exceptional Team and we all look forward to hearing from you soon. It will be great to see you back at The Estate.