“Would love to stay here again”
Review of Raithwaite Estate

Raithwaite Estate
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We stayed for a lovely 3 nights in mid March. The staff couldn't have been more helpful or pleasant, for example arranging hot milk and toast for my pregnant wife after we failed to find anything tolerable when out for dinner in Whitby. Grounds were super and walking to short distance to the beach was a daily pleasure before breakfast.

My wife enjoyed the spa, especially the "pregnancy facial".

However much we like anywhere we stay on holiday, we have never wanted to go back somewhere again before now!

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I stayed with my friend in march 2014. On arrival we loved driving through the beautiful grounds. We could hear the stream flowing and it just felt so peaceful! At checkin and actually throughout our entire stay, the staff were extremely friendly, professional and helpful.

Our room was disappointing for a 5 star hotel and the price we had paid. It was really quite small with very little room to manoeuvre! Bed was firm yet comfy! The TV had very limited channels and those it did have didn't always work (BBC news kept breaking up and no BBC3/BBC4) again, I would just expect more from a 5 star. It was fabulous having a lovely balcony in the room overlooking the grounds however there were no chairs to sit out there? Also disappointed no fridge in room to keep water cool.

The bathroom was my biggest disappointment as it didn't have a bath!!! I really believe top hotels should provide baths. However I have to say that the complimentary toiletries were absolutely gorgeous! The best I have ever been provided with in a hotel!

I think when you compare the rooms to Rockliffe Hall, a 5 star hotel not far away at a similar rating and price they are sorely lacking. For that price I feel that rooms should be spacious and feel luxurious, TVs should have more choice of channels and all should work and the bathroom should be large and contain a bath (at Rockliffe bathrooms have a bath AND a shower and a TV in the bathroom).

Breakfast was AMAZING! We ate in the conservatory with the sunlight streaming in. The staff were very helpful and the food was delicious, not only was the cooked breakfast gorgeous, the buffet was brilliant. The selection was similar to a lot of 5 star hotels but I was touched that lots of products were local - and the homemade rhubarb compote was to die for! I also liked that rather than just being offered tea or coffee you could select exactly which coffee (espresso, latte, cappuccino etc.) or type of tea you would like. I would say this is the best hotel breakfast I have enjoyed!

We then visited the spa. It is nothing like the scale of bigger hotels, but it is very clean and well kept. Disappointed we weren't offered robes to wear and as we had checked out of our rooms we were told we couldn't have any and were just given an extra towel!! Changing rooms were fine, although I didn't like having to go through to the spa reception to get another towel each time I needed one- why not have them available in the changing room? There is a pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room in a lovely room surrounded with full length windows. Very relaxing.

On the whole I would say I enjoyed my experience but I am not sure the rooms and spa are up to the standards of most other 5 star hotels I have stayed in. The great things that would make me return are the location, staff and breakfast! But the price would definitely have to be competitive.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank FireflyJH
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We booked a "murder mystery" weekend stay (Fri/Sat nights).
Pulling up to the hotel surrounded by woodland, hills and the sea was beautiful. the buildings look fairly new, but this did not detract from the surroundings.

The staff are very attentive (Simon (Concierge) & Paul (Barman) are excellent) listening to your every question and exceeding on delivery, we asked for locations for clay pigeon shooting locally and received a 3 page printout of options, this was the same with restaurants and other attractions based on our interests.

We ate a 3 course meal during our stay, which was divine and the theatrical event was great fun.

We would book this hotel again without a second thought, and would recommend it to anyone.

They are dog friendly and also have a "Dog Spa" on site, we did not take our dog with us on this occasion, however after seeing their facilities we will do in the future.

Room Tip: The suite's are amazing!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I very nearly gave the rating as a five, but there's always room for improvement! Have just experienced a great couple of days away here with my partner. The staff are friendly, attentive and nothing seems too much trouble. The hotel and grounds are superb. The spa can get a little crowded at times, but it's well equipped and kept very clean. The food in the restaurant was good, but it was the excellent service and the pleasant surroundings that really made it for us. The room was very comfortable and we felt at home straight away. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a short break away.

1  Thank Guest306
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Excellent break, the staff are extremely courteous and the rooms very very comfortable. Food in the Poachers Bar was delivered with a smile by a young waitress who was lovely, the steak was cooked to perfection. My facial was luxurious and the spa facilities were wonderful and spotless. This was my THIRD visit and definitely not the last.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

We enjoyed a relaxing weekend break at the Raithwaite Hotel. A really warm welcome from reception and this continued throughout our stay. All the staff went out of their way to help and we're extremely polite. Excellent training! The pool and spa area were very nice although not a lot of space around the pool to relax. We ate in the Poachers bar and the food and service were very good. A lovely weekend getaway and we will be returning.

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 6 March 2014

excellent hotel, excellent cocktails and facilities. the food and sevice was above and beyond we loved our stay . The breakfast buffet was beautiful and there was lots of choice , we loved meeting the chef who cooked our eggs fresh in front of us. we are definitely coming back soon .