Raithwaite Estate
  • Bar/Lounge
Hudsons(Whitby)
  • Bar/Lounge
2,293 results
All reviewsbrace restaurantspa facilitiespoachers barexecutive roomsteam roomgolf buggyhunters restaurantthe main hotelturn down servicemain hallluxury hotelevery member of staffunderfloor heatingsmall balconybirthday treatfirst classrelaxing break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 August 2014

At last a hot el that understands the needs of a wheelchair user and companion. The staff were exceedingly helpful with unloading
the car and then parking it. The room was spacious and the bathroom was well equipped for the needs of a mobility impaired person. All the public rooms were easily accessed. The food was interesting and well presented.

Room Tip: Wheelchair access
1  Thank margaret s
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed at The Raithwaite Estate for one night as a luxury as it was quite expensive, and we weren't disappointed. When we turned up the reception staff were very friendly and showed us to our room. Our room was beautiful. It looked out over the landscaped valley and it had a balcony for us to enjoy the sun. The room was extremely clean and tidy. The only slight criticism was that the balcony door didn't lock, but this didn't affect our stay. The meal at the restaurant was very posh and the lamb was delicious. I think there could have been some more music in the background to create ambiance.

The gardens were just perfect. We walked around the gardens in the evening and there is a swinging chair that we sat on as the sun went down. It is just a fantastic hotel, and I would definitely recommend it for a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Ask to have a room with a balcony in the main hotel.
2  Thank CharD04
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Had a great mini break here. Nice room, nice pool, great breakfasts. Thanks to Martyn Darvell and colleagues who looked after us. Will come again! A. Very enjoyable experience.
Andy and Laura Marsden ( father Keith)

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Keith200
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed in July 14, with a garden view room, in the main hotel building. The room had its own balcony and garden views. Food in the restaurant was great - for breakfast and dinner. The estate keeps expanding, building more accommodation, but doesn't feel crowded. Didn't use the spa this time, but it has all you need. Staff were very helpful throughout stay.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms have a balcony and views.
2  Thank the-ladies-who-dine
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I went to Raithwaite for one night to catch up with an old friend. There was very limited availability so I plumped for the two bedroom cottage rather than a room in the hall as I thought it would give us a bit of privacy. It was expensive so expectations were quite high.
The approach to the estate from the road is initially nice but passing The Keep I felt a four star feeling creep up on me. This was exacerbated by the main building which is a new and rather unimposing affair. Receptionists were nice but we were immediately underwhelmed at the ambience of the restaurant (which we had booked for dinner) which is just next to the small reception area then overwhelmed by the wedding party which had clearly taken over the majority of the public space.
We were escorted to our room by a delightful gentleman except he didn’t know where it was! This was to be a sign of things to come. Some staff were superb, all staff were charming, but many felt new to the hotel game.
I think as we were only staying one night they put us in the three bed cottage which frankly was a bit smelly. We assumed it was just not aired so opened some windows and doors but it didn’t clear for our visit. I did report this to reception so hopefully this will be resolved for future visitors but my friend reckons it was the drains. The bedrooms were small and functional, the bathrooms fresh and clean and the upstairs living area and kitchen really quite nice but in no way exceptional and for the cost frankly absurd. This cottage did not have outside space which was a major drawback. Some did and if staying again (unlikely) I would request that as a priority.
On to the spa for a massage. We booked the 80 minute full body and it was nice. The therapists were delightful. I was surprised that a full body massage spent so much time rubbing oil in my face – really? – not unpleasant but I would have far rather been asked about this beforehand and I would have asked to have more time on my back or legs in preference. Also on backs of legs both were massaged at the same time which IMHO is frankly weird and a bit more of a rubbing than a massage. So very much like the hotel – a bit naïve and unsophisticated.
We changed our dinner to the fish restaurant at The Keep. Another venue totally lacking in atmosphere but with a pretty and rather good pianist. Food was OK. My friend enjoyed hers. My tuna carpaccio was weird and a bit mean and the lobster fine but not in any way noteworthy.
The next morning was glorious. We were at breakfast at around 9.30 and the buffet was already decimated and was never refilled properly. We elected to go a la carte and the kippers were fine and eggs benedict OK. The coffee was vile. The orange juice was good.
We checked out then went for a walk. The grounds are lovely and the walk to the beach was terrific and I can totally get why some people like it. It seemed to me a place for events like weddings or perhaps corporate stuff but for me the real estate lacked the character and luxury I would seek for a mini-break.
We returned to pick up the car and have a quick drink before our journey. We noted that - as the previous day - the debris from previous guests had not been cleared from outside tables and we had to move it ourselves. Despite plenty of staff being around for the duration of our refreshment nobody cleaned up........

Room Tip: If staying in a cottage get one with outside space.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends