“Superb hotel”
Review of Raithwaite Estate

Raithwaite Estate
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Fantastic location, beautiful gardens, lots of lovely relaxing seating areas. Great service from very friendly staff. My room was perfect, had bath and separate shower, complimentary toiletries were very high quality.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Julie C
Write a ReviewReviews (2,186)

Reviewed 3 August 2014

My wife to be be and myself have been super stressed recently and so just decided to go away for a spa weekend last minute to unwind... Just searched somewhere near York and this hotel came up so we booked it....

Don't really care what other people say or review we had the best stay ever!!! The hotel is immaculate, the staff are super friendly and the food ohh my god is simple delicious!!! We enjoyed the spa had a wonderful massage and facial which was great, then we pottered around enjoying coffees etc and had a lovely walk around the grounds which are beautiful especially the lake at the top.

Ive stayed in many hotels some of which carry a Michelin star or two that are supposed to be as good as this but this was a whole new ball game I have no problems with a repeat visit infact me and the Mrs to be are checking our diaries as we speak for our next weekend off together for a bit more heaven... I honestly can't see why anyone would have a problem here.

Just like to say a huge thank you to Simon the concierge who treated us like royalty its very rare you have service now a days like Simon provided us with top bloke who made us relax instantly so thank you.

Keep it up Raithwaite we will be visiting again and PS I want room 205 again....

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 205 simple divine recommend this room or one like it.....
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brazil2001
Reviewed 2 August 2014

A visit to Whitby and this hotel for the first time. "One night on the luxury for less package" In one word was "fantastic". The staff at check in we're genuine & informative, we were taken to our room and I really liked that as felt we got a more personal service which gave us chance to ask questions etc.
"The keep" was immaculate as was our room, bedding & bathroom. Beautiful little seating area outside our room which we were not expecting, bed was very comfy and there were robes left for the spa. The pool area again was clean and modern could not find a hint of mildew or tiredness anywhere!
The evening meal in the keep was lovely with nice fresh local fish. The waiting staff were again professional and informative. The gardens were lovely, well presented and had little areas to "chill" & take things in. Breakfast was amazing with little touches of local produce.

We have paid similar amounts at other UK hotels in the past and in comparison this hotel & experience for us was far superior. We do have children and I would consider taking them here as I saw many families but for us the hotel was a special "couple" break and exceeded our expectations. Will be returning next year!!

3  Thank LUCY M
Reviewed 1 August 2014

As part of our first family holiday with our new addition, and following a tremendous stay at the Crown Spa hotel in Scarborough the previous week, we booked what we thought was the best hotel in Whitby for a short break. Whitby itself I would recommend to anyone, this hotel however I wouldn't. We were in the "keep" about 400 yards from the main hotel. The service in our facility was not comparable to that experienced in the main hotel. Our "frustrations" were as follows
- no air con in our room - instead we were given a mobile air con unit which meant you needed to
keep the door open to use it ????
- no bath mat - a challenge especially when giving your baby a bath
- no baby towels on 1 of our 2 days ?
- I had baby sick on my robe day 1, so I left it in the bath for washing. Needless to say it was hung
up with stains still remaining for me to use the next day - lovely
- only decaf coffee in our room
- breakfast day 1 was light of content - day 2 it was a kings banquet - very inconsistent
- breakfast was late by 20 mins day 2 - when baby needs feeding on time, no surprise one of us
missed enjoying breakfast that day !!!!!the first communication with a staff member on this day
was them
apologising - hardly fills you with confidence

Probably the most frustrating part of the stay was me complaining to the duty manager Joseph. ( actual manager in a meeting)
I have never had reason to complain before in any hotel, nor have I needed to, however, I wasn't prepared to accept our experience being left unchallenged.

The response I got said it all " ill give you my card and call me the next time your up here and I'll show you what we are capable of ' - really - that's ok then ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I work in retail and totally expect service I pay for - this is certainly not the case on this occasion in this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Mark D
Reviewed 1 August 2014

At last a hot el that understands the needs of a wheelchair user and companion. The staff were exceedingly helpful with unloading
the car and then parking it. The room was spacious and the bathroom was well equipped for the needs of a mobility impaired person. All the public rooms were easily accessed. The food was interesting and well presented.

Room Tip: Wheelchair access
1  Thank margaret s
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed at The Raithwaite Estate for one night as a luxury as it was quite expensive, and we weren't disappointed. When we turned up the reception staff were very friendly and showed us to our room. Our room was beautiful. It looked out over the landscaped valley and it had a balcony for us to enjoy the sun. The room was extremely clean and tidy. The only slight criticism was that the balcony door didn't lock, but this didn't affect our stay. The meal at the restaurant was very posh and the lamb was delicious. I think there could have been some more music in the background to create ambiance.

The gardens were just perfect. We walked around the gardens in the evening and there is a swinging chair that we sat on as the sun went down. It is just a fantastic hotel, and I would definitely recommend it for a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Ask to have a room with a balcony in the main hotel.
2  Thank CharD04
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Had a great mini break here. Nice room, nice pool, great breakfasts. Thanks to Martyn Darvell and colleagues who looked after us. Will come again! A. Very enjoyable experience.
Andy and Laura Marsden ( father Keith)

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family