“How tea rooms should be!”

Marie Antoinette's Patisserie
Ranked #5 of 15 Dessert in Whitby
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: http://www.whitbysights.co.uk/whitby-food/marieantoinettes.html
“How tea rooms should be!”
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

You will not find better hot chocolate anywhere for a start! The cakes are beautiful and full of flavour, fabulous service too. There was only one lady working the day we visited but her service was perfect, welcoming, helpful you name it. The big chains could learn a lot from visiting this place. CHECK THIS PLACE OUT!

Visited January 2014

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Poor sandwiches!”
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Visited here for a spot of lunch having been tempted in by the delicious looking cakes! I ordered a cheese baguette and my sister ordered the tuna baguette. We order tea which was lovely! The baguette however were not. Somehow my cheese baguette had managed to come into contat with the tuna, upon mentioning this to the waitress she laughed and sent it back to the kitchen. Another cheese baguette came out but again tuna had managed to sneak onto this one too. As a person who has a severe adversion to tuna it was a nightmare! From what I managed to eat of my cheese baguette the cheese was plastic tasting and the bread wasn't brilliant. I think I'll give this place a miss next time!

1 Thank Jane R
Sunderland
“Incongruous but lovely”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Not a lot in the way of breakfast items here, fruit scone of cake at the time of our last visit, but there is really good coffee in a quirky set of rooms which provide respite from the cold in winter, and from the madding crowds in summer.

Always a friendly welcome, and newspapers provided for customers. A strange little place to have sprung up in Whitby, but we're grateful it has, really like it.

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Was it an off-day? Coffee should actually taste of coffee!!”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Love my days out in Whitby and our usual stop-off for coffee is The Shepherd's Purse (recommended). However, it was closed for some reason so just up the road was what looked like a nice little place. I like my coffee! Having looked in the window I could see a proper coffee machine, so that encouraged us to go in. I ordered a cappuccino and a mocha for my husband. We sat upstairs. Quirky pleasant surroundings and warm, though watch the stairs, you really need to take care on them if older or, like me, have a problem knee! Coffee was delivered to the table, which was nice. Come to think of it I wouldn't have risked trying to carry the coffee up the stairs! I can see why they bring it to you. My husband enjoyed his mocha. My coffee came in a fairly big cup with 'Lavazza' on it - I love Lavazza coffee so, again, a good sign. Oh dear! it was basically hot milk with a little colour to it and virtually no flavour of coffee whatsoever - no exaggeration! I had to take it back and asked for an extra shot which I said I'd be happy to pay for. The waitress was polite (just) though tight-lipped. She indicated she would bring the coffee to me, but would have to "re-make" it. I said that wasn't necessary, just put another shot of coffee in, but no, she was adamant she couldn't do that. By now I was regretting the whole thing. A new cup arrived in a few minutes. Although I was hopeful that this one would actually taste of coffee I'm afraid I was disappointed. Just as poor as the first. This place seems to have a lot going for it and feedback appears pretty reasonable for the most part. Were they having a bad day? No idea - but I won't be going back and if you like coffee to actually taste of coffee I wouldn't recommend you do either. On the plus side, prices are reasonable!

San Francisco, California
“Lovely Tea house”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Very serene amongst the bustling street. Lovely scones and fantastic coffee too!
Sit upstairs for a cozy feel...especially if you bring little ones.