White Horse and Griffin
US$104
  • Breakfast included
US$100
Official Site
All reviewscoaching inncharles dickensgin cocktailscobbled streetsunday lunchquirky hotelsteep stairssmoked kippersscallopstop floorbooked a tablefish and chipsan evening mealbreakfast roomfirst morningcooked to perfectionlovely place
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I booked this on a KGB deal, had a nightmare experience with the booking in the fact that one minute they had booking then they didnt it was a long saga, so wasnt expecting much on arrival. staff are very friendly and helpful, room was nice (Anne Hepworth ROom) but I think its a work in progress as ceilings and walls need a lick of paint or plastering, bathroom was spacious but spoilt by no shower and cheap bin and toilet roll holder....how much would these cost to get nice ones. Also the bed seemed to have a fleece underblanket and a thick continental quilt which in summer made for a very hot and sweaty uncomfortable night. When we came down for our booked meal on the 2nd night the owner said are you sure your booked in!!! i thought I was hearing things because if the nightmare booking in I had had earlier on in the year!!! Anyway he managed to get us a table and the food was indeed fabulous, we were also supposed to get a bottle of wine with the deal we booked but this was not forthcoming and I wasn't going to embarrass myself by asking for it, I dont believe we will stay here again

Room Tip: If you like a shower dont pick the Anne Hepworth room
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Stayed here for two nights last week with my daughter we had Sunday lunch which was lovely we stayed in provider the room was lovely and very quirky as other people have mentioned the bathroom was small and dated but clean. I spoke to one of the new owners and he said that the bathrooms will be updated as have the bedrooms but for me (and my daughter)the best thing about this hotel is the staff! from the moment we arrived to leaving they could not have been more helpful and pleasant please don't change a thing(except the bathrooms) lol .This hotel is full of character and very quirky if you want a travel lodge experience don't stay here but if you want a very enjoyable stay in a hotel full of history do.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 June 2013

we stayed Thursday night Friday morning room was nice rather dark tho!!and great music from the room above if you like the beatles at 3am!! not good!! next morning breakfast just an hour to wait !! how long does it take to cook a breakfast they must cook one at a time the waitress said I know where you are coming from but its not my fault!! next time we book Whitby its the revolution for me 1st class and self serve breakfast

Room Tip: avoid our room!!!
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We have just returned from a two night stay which overall, was excellent. Had the Discovery room on the top floor which was very spacious and comfortable. Only small gripe would be the bathroom which was quite small and the only shower was handheld over the bath. Other than that, the room was absolutely fine.
The restaurant is excellent, so good that we had dinner there both nights. We enjoyed superb mussels, lovely fish and chips and an excellent fish pie. Good wines and cheese selection rounded off our meal beautifully. Breakfast was also fab - freshly cooked and of a high standard.
Special mention should go to all the staff who provided excellent service, always attentive, friendly and helpful. They are clearly well trained and are a credit to the owner.
Parking is a bit of an issue but parking over the bridge near the marina and walking back was a very small price to pay for the convenience of being located in a hotel so full of character.
We thoroughly enjoyed our weekend and would not hesitate to recommend the white horse and griffin to our friends, as well as putting it at the top of our list when we are next in the area.

Reviewed 21 June 2013

Just returned from a lovely two night stay.It was a groupon deal so wasn't accepting much.But it was very nice and clean.We had an evening meal there on the first night and was so happy with the high standard of food what we received we ate there on the second night too.Also I would like to say our lovely the owners were and staff.Nothing was too much trouble .We was given a free bottle of wine on arrival.The breakfast was also lovely and well presented.I would like to thank everyone there for a most injoyable break and will pass on to all my friends and family.We will defiantely go again .