This was our 3rd or 4th visit to the WH&G, we love Whitby and staying here you are in the heart of the town.Parking is always a problem in Whitby and until the set up a Park and Ride which should keep 50/60% of the car users out of town it always will be. The Hotel is a delight, just having been taken over by new owners who are trying to improve some of the very old aspects of the Hotel without loosing the character. For some unknown reason our room had not been serviced prior to us booking in, they thought it has as we had clean towels and toiletries on the bed but nothing had been cleaned, but they soon rectified it the bed was changed, the bathroom cleaned and the tea tray sorted. The did apologize and compensated by a nice bottle of wine with Dinner. The food in the Restaurant was excellent as it has been in the past, I think the same chef is still there, lets hope he stays. So if you want a nice olde worlde Hotel in the middle of the Old part of Whitby with good food look no further.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The White Horse & Griffin is an almost 450 year old Coaching Inn, the first built in Whitby to serve the route to London. Operating these days as a Restaurant with Rooms it is situated on an unspoilt cobbled shambles near the base of Whitby's famous 199 Abbey Steps. The building is technically on 3 floors but is actually on 7 different levels. It boasts 10 unique and quirky bedrooms full of history and character. The walls are bumpy, the stairs are narrow and the ceilings are low. The Bistro/ Restaurant is cosy and heated by an open fire. The food is outstanding with the signature dishes (such as the Seafood Meze for 2 & the Fillet Sharing Platter) saying much about the place - great quality, great quantity, designed for sharing and, as with much in life, you get what you are prepared to pay for. The WH&G is best suited to couples and groups who want to get away, eat great food, drink good wine, meet new people, join in with the atmosphere and then retire to a hand-made bed with a hand stuffed mattress to regroup before a chef-cooked breakfast. As well as a comprehensive English Breakfast choices in the morning also include Fortune's Kippers, Smoked Haddock, Kedgeree, Scrambles, Omlettes, Fresh Fruits and Honeyed Porridge. A major benefit is that the heart of unspoiled North Yorkshire and its Coast is outside the front door in either walking or steam train distance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotels.com, Book Direct Rooms, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your White Horse and Griffin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- White Horse And Griffin Hotel Whitby
- White Horse And Griffin Whitby