Late booking via their website. Room looked excellent from the pictures, however the reality was a little different.
Very pleasant welcome on arrival and shown the breakfast room on way to our room on the second floor. The corridors are a bit shabby and could do with new carpet.
The room itself was large with one window to the side of the Hotel and a very large bathroom. There was a mishmash of furniture, from ikea to years gone by, the painted chest of draws gave the impression of an artist gone mad. The walls where patched and shabby and in the bathroom the ceiling paint was stripped away and falling over the wash basin.
The bed was comfortable and we had good nights sleep.
Breakfast was excellent with an open fire as a focal feature. There are probably too many table in the rooms and there was very little room to get by.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The White Horse & Griffin is an almost 450 year old Coaching Inn, the first built in Whitby to serve the route to London. Operating these days as a Restaurant with Rooms it is situated on an unspoilt cobbled shambles near the base of Whitby's famous 199 Abbey Steps. The building is technically on 3 floors but is actually on 7 different levels. It boasts 10 unique and quirky bedrooms full of history and character. The walls are bumpy, the stairs are narrow and the ceilings are low. The Bistro/ Restaurant is cosy and heated by an open fire. The food is outstanding with the signature dishes (such as the Seafood Meze for 2 & the Fillet Sharing Platter) saying much about the place - great quality, great quantity, designed for sharing and, as with much in life, you get what you are prepared to pay for. The WH&G is best suited to couples and groups who want to get away, eat great food, drink good wine, meet new people, join in with the atmosphere and then retire to a hand-made bed with a hand stuffed mattress to regroup before a chef-cooked breakfast. As well as a comprehensive English Breakfast choices in the morning also include Fortune's Kippers, Smoked Haddock, Kedgeree, Scrambles, Omlettes, Fresh Fruits and Honeyed Porridge. A major benefit is that the heart of unspoiled North Yorkshire and its Coast is outside the front door in either walking or steam train distance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Book Direct Rooms, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Traveltool, S.L.U., Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Hotels.com and Cancelon so you can book your White Horse and Griffin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- White Horse And Griffin Hotel Whitby
- White Horse And Griffin Whitby