White Horse and Griffin
US$132
  • Pool
Dunsley Hall(Whitby)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscoaching inncharles dickensgin cocktailscobbled streetsunday lunchquirky hotelsteep stairssmoked kippersscallopstop floorbooked a tablefish and chipsan evening mealbreakfast roomfirst morningcooked to perfectionlovely place
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed in this hotel in May and have to say it is nothing like it's portrayed on their web site.
We stayed in the Scoresby room which features on the web site as an example of the rooms available. Looks can be deceiving, its shabby, dirty and you look out onto a roof, to see the sky you have to look up at an angle of almost 90 degrees and need the lights on all the time.
The bed side lamp, which you can't reach from the bed had dust on the base for the whole time we were there, the bathroom wasn't cleaned on one day neither was our bed made. There were dirty marks on the walls which could easily have been wiped off.
The man on reception whom I complained to, said the room had been decorated earlier this year, well I don't think so.
For breakfast there was no fruit to eat, I asked for a certain number of items off the menu for the fried meal to be given one egg and half a piece of black pudding and one half of a piece of sliced fried bread, second morning had two eggs, a whole round of fried bread and a whole piece of black pudding, third morning it must have been the same cook as day one as I only had half the meal again. When we asked for the sauce bottle, there was that much grunge around the top we gave it a miss as it obviously hadn't been cleaned in ages.
Didn't eat in the restaurant as it is is vastly overpriced, we ate out each night and arrived back one night at just after 10.00pm to find the bar closed, well I say bar, it's like sitting in an old British Rail waiting room, no character or decent seats to sit on.
Such a pity for a place that has such potential.

Would I stay here again NO way, not even if they paid me.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank Casie_51
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We've just returned from 3 nights on a special offer - £240 for 3 nights B&B including dinner on the first night. I like olde worlde, but was niggled by a number of things.
Good points: the rooms were beautifully clean, and made to look like new each morning whilst we were at breakfast. Breakfast was good. All the staff we met were extremely helpful and cheerful, nothing was too much trouble, they were brilliant. It's a very handy venue, so easy to walk to the harbour or local pubs.
Things I liked less: You can't park outside to unload your bags - a member of staff carried ours upstairs once we'd dragged them from the public car park, so that helped. The stairs and corridors had some strange, unpleasant smells. We understood we'd booked into a room on the first floor but there were several steep flights of stairs, making it unsuitable for my elderly husband. The bed was very hard and there was no chair in the room to put your clothes on. We had a lovely, brand new bathroom with a great shower, but the window blind was in one fixed, open, position and the bathroom was overlooked by the window of the house just across a narrow passageway. We had to take the blind down and unfurl it before I could use the loo. I was very disappointed by dinner - the menu sounded so appetising, but I didn't enjoy it much - the dessert claimed to be a tarte tartin but tasted like very sweet cardboard. The beef dinner for two was shared by two of our party who declared it less than delicious, so none of us were very thrilled.
Our friends have stayed here before and think it's great,no doubt they'll stay again, but I didn't feel it was the best value for money.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank LandGNorthallerton
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife and I booked a deal through Living Social for two nights B & B including dinner on the first night. These deals can be a bit hit and missy but thankfully not this one. An eccentric old coaching house with very young helpful and smiley staff, a good start. The room though quite small was perfectly comfortable with some fabulous period features , a fire and amazing wood panneling, it felt like sleeping in an old schooner. Dinner was terrific, fabulous local produce simply and perfectly cooked. Try the house special fillet of beef for two, outstanding and worth the modest supplement. Breakfast was a joy, perfectly cooked and terrific tasty locally sourced ingredients. The service and atmosphere is informal but more than efficient by a hard working, young trendy staff. This place might not be for you if you're stuffy and like the regular stiff service of chain hotels but we loved it and will be back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank davidtinribs
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

The chef, I think her name was Natalie, served wonderful food. Not cheap, but worth a visit and worth every penny. I only wished she would move to our town. Staff friendly, some could be trained better. Breakfast a little slow, but excused for the quality of food. In all an excellent experience in a good town centre hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 28 May 2014

An oldie worldly hotel that fits right in to the style of whitby . Stayed for 2 nights in May for bank holiday weekend and found it very central , never saw anyone in charge all weekend but didn't matter has we had no problems to discuss with anyone . Would go back if was going to whitby again .

Room Tip: Don't go for the attic room if not good on your legs.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends