Came here for a couple of nights in early July. The hotel is a lovely old stabling inn with all the character you would expect from such a description. There is a small, basic bar at the front of the hotel (more an inn, really) and the floorboards are suitably creaky. The room we were in (the Warrior Woman) was well appointed and spacious with basic but clean en-suite facilities. It was, perhaps, a little warm and there is a bit of noise.
Breakfast was excellent and filled us up for the morning. If you stay here, though, I strongly recommend the restaurant for your evening meal. It isn't cheap but you get what you pay for. Produce is locally sourced and prepared to a high standard and the setting is relaxed and atmospheric. The steak I had was of top-notch quality and the cheeseboard was different from the usual suspects.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The White Horse & Griffin is an almost 450 year old Coaching Inn, the first built in Whitby to serve the route to London. Operating these days as a Restaurant with Rooms it is situated on an unspoilt cobbled shambles near the base of Whitby's famous 199 Abbey Steps. The building is technically on 3 floors but is actually on 7 different levels. It boasts 10 unique and quirky bedrooms full of history and character. The walls are bumpy, the stairs are narrow and the ceilings are low. The Bistro/ Restaurant is cosy and heated by an open fire. The food is outstanding with the signature dishes (such as the Seafood Meze for 2 & the Fillet Sharing Platter) saying much about the place - great quality, great quantity, designed for sharing and, as with much in life, you get what you are prepared to pay for. The WH&G is best suited to couples and groups who want to get away, eat great food, drink good wine, meet new people, join in with the atmosphere and then retire to a hand-made bed with a hand stuffed mattress to regroup before a chef-cooked breakfast. As well as a comprehensive English Breakfast choices in the morning also include Fortune's Kippers, Smoked Haddock, Kedgeree, Scrambles, Omlettes, Fresh Fruits and Honeyed Porridge. A major benefit is that the heart of unspoiled North Yorkshire and its Coast is outside the front door in either walking or steam train distance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Book Direct Rooms and HotelQuickly so you can book your White Horse and Griffin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- White Horse And Griffin Hotel Whitby
- White Horse And Griffin Whitby