“Genuine Character”

White Horse and Griffin
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
“Genuine Character”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Came here for a couple of nights in early July. The hotel is a lovely old stabling inn with all the character you would expect from such a description. There is a small, basic bar at the front of the hotel (more an inn, really) and the floorboards are suitably creaky. The room we were in (the Warrior Woman) was well appointed and spacious with basic but clean en-suite facilities. It was, perhaps, a little warm and there is a bit of noise.
Breakfast was excellent and filled us up for the morning. If you stay here, though, I strongly recommend the restaurant for your evening meal. It isn't cheap but you get what you pay for. Produce is locally sourced and prepared to a high standard and the setting is relaxed and atmospheric. The steak I had was of top-notch quality and the cheeseboard was different from the usual suspects.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Grimsby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I booked the White horse & Griffin for two night's for my partner's birthday it was the first time he had stayed in Whitby. the staff are very friendly and helpful the cooked breakfast was delicious ! our first night was in the resolution room no view & very noisy from a noise like a fan couldn't sleep! I was very disappointed to say the least !,I complained to the staff and they upgraded us to a lovely quiet room ! I would like to thank the staff very much as this was a very special occasion ,my partner Ken and I have been together less than a year and it made all the difference! the hotel is full of character the bar is small but lovely, nice atmosphere. it is central to everything. would advise that the nearest car park is close but get's full early being so central

Chester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

White Horse and Griffin is an old coaching inn on Church Street, the most picturesque street in Whitby. It's a stone's throw from the old town hall and a short walk to the foot of the 199 steps.
I spent two nights in the Dickens Room. Everything in the room was in good order and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was possibly the largest hotel bathroom I've ever seen, containing a large bath and a shower cubicle. The cooked breakfast was very good and, if the fancy takes you, omelettes and kippers are on the menu. I liked the narrow, somewhat spare bar and had a few pints whilst watching the world cup football. The staff were friendly and I would look to stay at the hotel again the next time I'm in the area.
Nothing to do with the hotel but a head's up for people driving into Whitby. The free all day on street parking around West cliff has gone.

Room Tip: Steep steps to the top floor.
Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed for 1 night at the White horse and griffin and to be honest it was enough. We are quite regular visitors to Whitby and I have always wanted to stay here but it has been fully booked. This time I was determined so I booked early. We booked the Dickins room but didn't get it. Instead we were in Wakefull which I suppose was an upgrade ( although nobody said ) as it was king not double. The room at the front of the hotel was big enough and clean but it was what I can only describe as tatty. It just looked as if it needed some attention. The en suite was particularly tatty and definitely in need of a refurb. The two staff we saw, one when we checked in and one at breakfast were friendly enough but we didn't stay in the bar for a drink so didn't really see much of anyone. At breakfast we found ourselves a table and our order was taken immediately. we weren't told about the cereal, juices toast etc at the side of the room but I suppose it was there for us to see. We both had a full English breakfast which was ok. It came quickly and was fairly hot but everything had obviously been fried and the fried bread ( normally my favourite ) was dripping in fat and I couldn't eat it.
Quite disappointing overall after wanting to stay there for so long and for £100 a night I expect better.
I know the hotel is undergoing refurbishment at the moment but for the rooms that havnt been done yet I think the price should reflect this.

1 Thank katieliz1961
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

booked lunch for 2pm only two of us in the restaurant though - decided to treat the wife to a 3 course meal. £50.00 including 2 pints expensive but a nice meal regardless dessert the best of the lot !

Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Our second stay here - great location and interesting old building but a few annoying niggles. Firstly the pillows - surely a basic to get right. There are 2 'soft' and 2 'hard' pillows supplied per double room - (possibly trying to copy Premier Inn's excellent bed/pillow example?) Not good if you both don't like sleeping on brick pillows though. Our 'hard' pillow was 2 old pillows shoved into 1 case and soft pillows - well only 2 of them and not so soft. I had to sleep on a folded towel/pillow combo and spent the rest of the weekend with a very sore stiff neck. I asked for 2 extra soft pillows and the housekeeping staff very kindly provided 2 for us but had to take them from another unoccupied guest room so some poor guest will have had 2 rock hard pillows to choose from that night! What no spare pillows? Don't scrimp on the basics, supply decent new soft pillows and your guests will get a good nights sleep! The room was better this time with bedside tables at either side of the bed and a lovely shower in the bathroom and huge bath - old plumbing did make it difficult to use the shower - it went scolding hot then warm but with a bit of patience it was OK to use.
Secondly the tea at breakfast -a rammy aluminium pot with an ill fitting lid of hot water and what must have been an economy tea bag. The resulting cup of tea was grey and just undrinkable. Next day I had to ask for hot water and take down a Twinings English Breakfast teabag (supplied in room with tea/coffee facilities - v good) - to get a decent cup of tea with my breakfast. Such an easy thing to get right. Economy teabags - not good! Freshly cooked ommlettes were lovely. Other breakfast niggles - no fresh fruit or yoghurt and menu says you can have cooked breakfast OR cereal OR croisants etc! Can't we have what we'd like for breakfast? We ordered 1 ommlette second morning and the 2 croissant option so we could share. Only 1 croissant arrived and we were told that the chef said that as they were running low on croissants (at 8:40 when breakfast starts at 8:30?) we could only have 1! We just laughed it off and carried on. Almost bordering on the comical...
A few other things like dusty lampshades, curtains with hooks missing, toilet roll holder loose, chilly room in the bad weather and heaters not on were a little annoying but overall the staff we dealt with were lovely, the location is great and we had an excellent stay.

1 Thank Hoxo