The property was lovely and quaint down a cobbled street centrally located to shops and dining. The room was ok but actually looked better on the website as it needed re-painting. The cleaning staff didn't do any cleaning as the scum remained in the bath from the previous night. The toilet still had talc on the seat from our bath previously. Our main concern was the sash window due to the property being old, anyone could fall out. Surely bars or something could be fitted. The breakfast was rather late to start at 8.30 and the staff kept missing off items on the tables. The breakfast was nice but I would of liked to see more fruit available. The bar was in keeping with the property but just needed more beers on tap. Can be difficult to park near the property.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The White Horse & Griffin is an almost 450 year old Coaching Inn, the first built in Whitby to serve the route to London. Operating these days as a Restaurant with Rooms it is situated on an unspoilt cobbled shambles near the base of Whitby's famous 199 Abbey Steps. The building is technically on 3 floors but is actually on 7 different levels. It boasts 10 unique and quirky bedrooms full of history and character. The walls are bumpy, the stairs are narrow and the ceilings are low. The Bistro/ Restaurant is cosy and heated by an open fire. The food is outstanding with the signature dishes (such as the Seafood Meze for 2 & the Fillet Sharing Platter) saying much about the place - great quality, great quantity, designed for sharing and, as with much in life, you get what you are prepared to pay for. The WH&G is best suited to couples and groups who want to get away, eat great food, drink good wine, meet new people, join in with the atmosphere and then retire to a hand-made bed with a hand stuffed mattress to regroup before a chef-cooked breakfast. As well as a comprehensive English Breakfast choices in the morning also include Fortune's Kippers, Smoked Haddock, Kedgeree, Scrambles, Omlettes, Fresh Fruits and Honeyed Porridge. A major benefit is that the heart of unspoiled North Yorkshire and its Coast is outside the front door in either walking or steam train distance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and Book Direct Rooms so you can book your White Horse and Griffin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- White Horse And Griffin Hotel Whitby
- White Horse And Griffin Whitby