“We loved it and we will definitely return to this little oasis!”

The Shepherd's Purse
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed 1 August 2011

What a lovely little find in the heart of Whitby...
We managed to book in for one nights stay in this lovely quirky little place.The last remaining room available was a doulble room with a shared bathroom which was fine by us. The only problem we had was that within the shared bathroom there wasn't a shower but a bath with attached shower head to which the water just trickled out making it difficult to get a full wash. Also at night on returning to our room the courtyard and stairway were poorly lit. We have since pointed this out to the owner.

Our room its self was really lovely "shabby chic" in style and very clean and comfortable. We loved the little attention to detail... like the fresh flowers and tea and biscuits. We also had a great view of the little courtyard area. Which was very inviting and a lovely little place to relax in.

The shop attached to the buisness was like a little emporium full of nice things most of which were ethical and organic products.

The Shepherds purse is a gem of a find and we will most definitely be returning again!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Shepherd's Purse

Reviewed 8 July 2011

We stayed here for one night on 7th July, we were upgraded without asking by the lovely woman in the shop, to room 5, which had a corner bath and four poster bed,from a room with a shower, very nice.
The towels and linen were immaculate and there was plenty of coffee and tea in the room, not the usual two cups worth.
The little courtyard was so cute and just like a french farmhouse, I loved it.
The accomodation is right next to everything you could want.
Just a note don't bother with the indians accross the bridge expensive for amount of food we got (Shaniq I think it's called).
Park across the road for £6 a day.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Merrypup
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Oh What a beautiful place to stay!!!! Were else do you get real flowers in your room...on your towels and in the bath room!! Candles on the beautiful balcony over looking a "secret garden"... cookies and coffee that is also sold in the shop that is to die for!!!!!...The room may have been small....But every thing was perfect for a romantic stay!!! We stayed in room 5! With the comfortable four poster bed!!! And the corner bath!!!...The room was spotless , with white crisp bedding and towels!!! The place just has such an air of relaxation!!....tranquility!!!.... I just so wished we had booked for 2 nights not one!!!!!!
The girls that run the place are so sweet and help full!!!!
There may not be parking facilities but just round the corner their is an overnight car park 2 min walk away at a cost of 6 pound for 24 hours!
Loved it!!!!! And will be returning!!!!!..............it the little things that make the room!!! You can tell that a lot of thought has gone into the room to make it that extra special.......
Tracy and James

Room Tip: Stayed in room 5! had own balcony and on suite!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2011

We stayed in room 6, lovely room, really quaint, clean - we loved it. The only fault was that the shower didnt work and didn't really fancy a bath with it being a shared bathroom with another room. It didn't bother us though as we were only there one night. Staff lovely and friendly and a great location. Will be back in the future I'm sure.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BeverleyCupcake
Reviewed 19 May 2011

We had wanted to stay at Shepherds purse for some time, it looked so cute. I booked the stay for my partner as a surprise but we were both disappointed. The room was very small and there was only just enough room to get around the bed. The bed was really uncomfortable and we should have complained after the first night but as there was a "no vacancy" sign up we didn't think there was much point. When I went to pay for our stay via the busy shop I was told that if I had complained the day before they would have gone out and bought a new bed....somehow i don't think this was true.We paid £120.00 for 2 nights room only, there are much nicer places to stay and also ones that are better value.Such a shame!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ianandy
Reviewed 6 April 2011

I could not fault this place, I stayed in one of the cheaper rooms (think it was the cheapest they had!), so not one of the ones with a four poster bed, but it was wonderful! The room overlooked the lovely courtyard, which was very quiet and peaceful. The room itself was a good size, although didn't have a wardrobe as other have noted. This might be a problem if staying for a long time but I was only there for a couple of nights, so it didn't bother me at all. They managed to fit in an armchair, dressing table with chair and two bedside tables as well as the double bed but the room did not feel cramped. The bathroom was shared with one other room but had a proper bath as well as a shower attachment.

The staff were incredibly friendly and polite - they could not do enough for me. I do not drive so the parking did not bother me - you will understand the parking problem if you go to Whitby, this hotel is right in the heart of the old town!

You are moments away from everything and even the beach on the other side of the river is not very far (10-15 minutes walk) - Whitby is a small place!

I would not hesitate to stay here again - I found it utterly charming. I have a couple of photos of the room, which I will try and add later.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 September 2010

I stayed in a room with a double bed and it was very cramped. Barely any room to move in the space beside the bed. No hairdryer provided, but otherwise the decor was cute. No choice but to park in a pay car park in the town centre, so it was annoying having to bring luggage up to the building. I wouldn't stay there again because the room is too small. The breakfast in the cafe just below the rooms isn't that great either. Next time I would probably stay outside of the town centre to ensure accom with a car spot closer to the room.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo