“Lovely things come in small packages!”

The Shepherd's Purse
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Lovely stay in room 4, rose petals and Turkish delight on the bed. Nice touch for valentines night! The room is small but has all you require, very cosy and comfortable, and right in the middle of town.my wife and I found Sophie(one of the owners) helpfully and friendly.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Shepherd's Purse

Reviewed 22 January 2014

I have stayed in the Shepherd's Purse many times. The staff are absolutely lovely and the attention to detail is brilliant, four poster bed with luxurious bedding, fresh flowers and chocolates on the bed. Booked again to stay this year in April, it truly is a beautiful, unique and quaint place to stay and in a superb location to explore Whitby. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 January 2014

My boyfriend & I stayed here for a one night birthday stay and it was really nice. We were in room 5 (highly recommended) which has a four poster bed, private balcony and jacuzzi bath! It is really idyllic and like no other B&B I have seen in Whitby, there were so many little touches that had been added - including rose petals on the bed. It is also in an amazing location & had the comfiest bed EVER - couldn't have been any better! Will definitely be back on our next Whitby visit.

Little tip - if visiting in quieter months, maybe risk it & go without a booking. It would have cost us £25.00 less if we had just turned up on the day & not pre-booked on-line.

Room Tip: Room 5 has private balcony & jacuzzi bath.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Harrielane
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I booked two nights for my wife and in November. I wanted to book room 5 (the four pster corner bath) toi be rung back to be told it was already booked and they apologised for their error and I took room 3 (the captains room) instead. We didnt arrive until around 7pm on the friday evening, though i was told there was a contact number to call and someone would come to show us to our room. I called the number and got no answer. After several minutes of wondering what to do, I decided to head up the wooden staircase remembering room 3 was up there somewhere, i peek into the window and could see the amazing brass bed was made up with fresh towels upon it, So i opened one door which lead to room 3 and another room. I checked the door and it was open, so to our relief we embarked on dropping our thing in the room. I text the contact number we found in the room to let the owners know we were in. They were over the river at their stall in the christmas market. The room was lovely, very quaint and the bed was like something from Mary Poppins, lots of charachter. The location cant really be beaten, exactly where you want to be to venture to the Abbey, the Harbour the piers everything. Following a long day and a short stroll around the Christmas market we retired to our little room. The shower was hot, the bathroom was ok, not the best but a scattering of little oddities mae up for that, it did its job. The tv should be updated, we dont watch the tv a lot but sometimes its nice to snuggle in to watch a film. Now i had to use a little basket from the floor to pirch the old crt portable ontop of it so we could see the screen above the brass of the bed. Not that the picture was any good. So around 10:30 it was lights out an thats when the problem with Room 3 began. A couple in the room I think behind us were talking in normal voices until around half 2 in the morning. Lights being turned on and off were not a problem, toilets flushing werent either. The follwing morning I spoke to Sophie in the lovely shop they run of the same name, she asked if everything was ok, I told her about the noise an she said to let her know if it happened again. The saturday night it did happen again only these people were louder than the night before. Now there are signs stuck in the mirror of the rooms to ask to be mindful of other guests at night and early morning. What needs to happen is for people to be reminded to be as quiet as they can on night times as the walls are very thin. This just took the sheen off our stay as everything was set to make it a very lovely stay. Some people are just ignorant but a gentle reminder during booking or a more visible sign albeit a temporary one in the room. We really would recommend this place to stay but not if you like to sit up an chat into the wee hours. Unless you wisper, which is what you should be doing in this very romantic place.

Room Tip: I think room 5 is away from the others. I would choose that one.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had a couple of nights stay for her birthday and we both loved it so much I had to submit a review. The room was situated at the rear of the shop up a lovely courtyard. The room was beautiful, glamorous, comfortable & idilic. Like I said in my title simply perfect in every way. Top marks to all concerned and keep up the great work.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 5handy
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Booked two rooms for two nights on the weekend of 4th October 2013.
Rooms small and basic with some cute added extras however taps in bathroom not working on the first night, went to retrieve the remote from behind the bed and it was filthy, sheets on the bed were not clean either.
The accommodation belongs to a busy shop and we felt it wasn't given enough time and attention which is dissapointing as it could be a really special place.
It was overpriced for what it was especially as there was no breakfast and we felt they could have done a deal with the place across the yard and included breakfast.
Location was fantastic in the oldest part of town and very central.
Would not book again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank 553sandra
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed here for two nights with my husband. When she opened the room door I thought oh god its tiny, but now after staying there I think well what more do you want. Clean,cosy,central location, one of the most comfortable beds ive ever slept in. Girls in the shop were lovely and very helpful. Would def. stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013