The Shepherd's Purse
  • Bar/Lounge
Hudsons(Whitby)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfour poster bedchurch streetlittle touchesprivate courtyardtake ear plugsbalcony overlookingground coffeebeautiful roombottle openersmallest roomcobbled streetswine glassesthree roomsromantic breaklittle gemperfect locationfluffy towels
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 April 2006

I love Whitby and have stayed before (on the quieter West side); the Shepherd's Purse accommodation is nice enough, but my experience resembles other reviews posted here: the radiator did not come on in the morning (we used the electric one stored under the bed) and we had no hot water. Between the church bells and the seagulls, I was up at 5am...not my idea of a relaxing weekend break. The Sander's Yard breakfast was very good, however if we had stayed at their accommodation it would have been free. We, too, stayed in room #5 which is located just inside the door coming from the stairwell in the courtyard. The outer door slams every time someone enters or leaves the building. I don't know what the others rooms are like, but based on no. 5, I will not stay at Shepherd's Purse accommodation again. To top everything else off, I was charged a deposit upon making the reservations, then charged the full nights cost upon checkout. I must now prove to them that I was already charged; it's just another aggravation!

• Stayed: April 2006
13  Thank ichiban
Reviewed 13 March 2006

Stayed here for a short break in march. The weather was freezing and when we booked in the radiator was turned off! This was soon rectified though.
The room (room 5) was small but clean and pleasant enough. We had no shower which was dissapointing and no hot water the first morning we were there. Had to wash in lukewarm water - not the best start to the day.
We also had problems with the TV not working, again this was sorted out quickly when we mentioned it. The only other thing we can say was that we booked the room with a balcony as we love fresh air, however the balcony was locked and we couldn't use it had we wanted to.
The rooms are around a central courtyard. The advertising says award winning courtyard. All we can say is if this courtyard won then we wouldn't like to see the ones that lost!. Not a pretty site.
The rooms are in a good spot in Whitby though, near a very nice pub called the Duke of York - just at the end of the road, the best pub we found.
Overall it was okay, clean, but small and we wouldn't return to this hotel but we would return to Whitby.
One word of warning - The seagulls! we were woken up every day before 6am. take ear plugs!.

Stayed: March 2006
6  Thank Abts
Reviewed 18 October 2005

Good points: cosy, comfy bed, clean, great location, friendly staff, tasteful decoration, peaceful.
Bad points: not enough hot water, no shower, radiator didn't come on in the morning, breakfast isn't included in the 'b&b' room price!!!!! (but sanders yard do a tasty brekkie), room was really tiny, entrance to room via external stairs was unlit at night.
We stayed in room 5, with the 4 poster bed & private balcony.
Whitby is so beautiful & this b&b (without the 2nd 'b') is in the most gorgeous part of the old town. Food at white horse & griffin is outstanding. Local people are really welcoming. Justin's chocolate shop = amazing. Chocolate falls is also great (try the marshmallow kebab, drenched in warm chocolate!!!!).

• Stayed: October 2005
16  Thank deenix
Reviewed 9 February 2005

My husband and I stayed here two years ago for about 4 days.
Getting reservations was a bit dodgy since we live in Texas... but the owner was more than accomodating! I loved the charm of the whole place... the food was awesome... the courtyard was lovely. Its set in the oldest bit of the town just down the cobblestone path to the lovely Whitby Abbey. My only complaint was the seagulls... they are really loud anywhere in Whitby... they were just mostly annoying at 5am.
Cant wait to go back...

12  Thank vicatron
Reviewed 21 August 2004

I stayed at The Shepherd's Purse for 1 night as a birthday present to my boyfriend. The accommodation is at the back of the Shepherd's Purse wholefood shop/cafe/deli, which in itself was a real find.
Our bedroom was small, but beautifully presented and had a 4-poster bed with drapes. It had a small ensuite shower room. The rooms are around a central courtyard and although small and close together, are very private.
Breakfast was served in the cafe, and cost extra but was well worth it! Boyfriend was seriously impressed with the kippers and hasn't stopped talking about them since!
Well located, only a few yards from the harbour, and the abbey steps, I would definately reccommend the Shepherd's Purse for reasonably priced, comfortable, attractive rooms. The website is also very helpful and informative.

• Stayed: January 2004