“Quirky accommodation, right in the eart of Whitby!”

The Shepherd's Purse
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
tyne&wear
“Quirky accommodation, right in the eart of Whitby!”
Reviewed 29 June 2010

This place was a real find, right in the centre of Whitby. A stones throw from the Abbey and right next to the shops and pubs etc. Having said that it is very quiet and relaxing. Really friendly staff who were happy to help! We stayed in room 2, four poster bed with lots of quirky features and accessories! Beautifully put together and thought out! The room leads out onto a court yard which can be used by the other rooms, but mostly we had it to ourselves for a quiet glass of wine or reading in the sunshine. The courtyard is full of beautiful flowers and even a dove house!
The room itself was very small and the bathroom only had a shower, which didnt bother us! My husband did complain about the tiny fun sizes TV, which could only get two channels, however, in my opinion, you don't come to Whitby to stay in and watch TV!!!
All in all, a wonderful two night stay. If you want an unusual, romantic, break right in the centre of Whitby, this is the one for you!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Newcastle
Reviewed 16 June 2010

I'd stayed at the Shepherds Purse a few years ago and really liked it, so contacted them to equire about rates for my boyfriend's birthday. I was told that upstairs rooms are £70 per night and downstairs rooms £50 per night, and so decided to book room 2 (downstairs) for 2 nights. I was then asked to pay a £40 deposit, and received a confirmation in the post stating an outstanding balance of £80. I thought this must be a mistake and decided to query this in person when I came to stay. Bad idea - when I came to settle the bill and mentioned I'd been told the room would be £50 the girl at the counter was quite rude and said I was wrong and I'd have to pay £80 as that's what it said in the book. No 'I'm sorry it must be a mistake' or 'I'll look into it'. I felt as though I was being accused of lying in front of all the customers in the shop, which was highly embarrassing. I was then told later by e-mail that it had been a typo and they couldn't refund the difference. If I'd known I'd be paying £60 per night I'd definitely have gone for an upstairs room - the downstairs rooms are not very private as they open directly onto the courtyard and room 2 is very small, also you can literally hear everything that is going on in the room above you. Otherwise, the rooms are nicely done out and the location is excellent. It's just a shame our stay was marred by very poor customer service!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank minkewhaleNewcastle
Birmingham
Reviewed 25 April 2010

This accomodation had mixed views on Trip Adviser. I can see that it wouldn't be to everyone's tastes but I loved it. We stayed in room 8. It had the feel of a hippy fisherman's cottage. We had a little balcony where we could sit out and have a cup of tea, as well as access to a private yard below where I spent a pleasant half hour reading in the warm sunlight, surrounded by doves. The noise of the seagulls in the morning was astounding, but then if you don't want to hear seagulls, why stay in Whitby?

It's right in the heart of things - a few steps out of your room and you're in the bustling lanes of the old town. However, if you're arriving by car it makes life much easier if you find a good parking spot first and then carry your bags a distance. When we arrived on a Sunday afternoon we drove right up to Shepherd's Purse. Turning the car around was a nightmare - the street outside is narrow, cobbled and always packed with people.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Redcar
Reviewed 2 April 2010

Stayed for two nights with friends, we had the Four Poster Bedroom complete with our own Balcony and they had the Captains Room. The rooms were immaculate, very comfortable, and roomy with little extras like a Grooming Kit on your pillow. Lauren was lovely and very helpful regarding where to eat, what to do and where to find the Night Life. A numerous selection of teas, coffees and biscuits are available in your room, replenished on a daily basis. Although it does not provide Breakfast there are plenty of nearby establishments at very close quarters to satisfy the hungriest person. Do not forget to pop into the Shepherd’s Purse Shop, where you will be amazed at the array of goods on sale including; spices, jams, marmalades, preservatives, soaps, clothes, the list goes on and on.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
durham
Reviewed 15 February 2010

my fella and i had the family room cos it was all they had left when we booked up for valentine weekend, it wasnt ensuite, which we knew about but wudnt hav again..the room was clean but badly set out with sloping roof each side, there was no seats except for the bed and altho we didnt watch much tv it only had 3stations,,if they advertise it as a plus point for guests then it should do wot it says on the tin.. the outside steps upto the property were very slippy and dangerous,.. they need serious attention b4 someone is injured. Be prepared when u draw the curtains over the double bed, they end up on your head. the toilet door doesnt lock so we had to use the other loo in the bathroom. Top tip, bring your own bath towels,, theres are pathetically small, why cant b&b`s supply decent sized towels, im only little and it wouldnt go round me...skinflints ..

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed 24 January 2010

I have stayed here twice: once with my boyfriend for about 5 days and liked it so much that I brought my mom back 6 months later for another 5 day stay. The rooms are small but I viewed it as quaint and charming instead of cramped...this is Whitby, England after all and not the heart of London...options are limited. I can say without a doubt that this is one of the most romantic places i've ever stayed...the beds are covered in old fashioned quilts with cute little lace dusters and some of them even have christmas lights around the posters...my boyfriend referred to it as a "baby making" bed and he was right on the mark. The quaintness of the rooms combined with the generally overcast weather in Yorkshire make you want to curl up under the blankets and never leave....but the rooms are small as are the bathroom facilities but then again, it's in the heart of town so space is limited and you have to keep in mind that these rooms weren't built to be hotel and B&Bs, they were built to accommodate fishermen and their families who obviously have different standards from modern travelers.

I found the staff to be very accommodating. When I was there with my mother, several of the channels on our TV didn't work and they gave us a bottle of wine from the store to compensate. The one down side is that the staff who look after the store are the same staff who look after the guest rooms so it can be hard to find someone after business hours....though they will give you cell phone numbers if you're expecting to arrive late. Also, the walk way back to the courtyard where the rooms are located is generally pretty dark and unlit. Then again, it kind of helps you get into the spirit of Whitby to be looking over your shoulder into the shadows:)

A word to those who drive: there is no parking provided and you're pretty much on your own...there is street parking available within walking distance but you need to read the signs carefully to avoid getting a ticket. I've yet to find a good solution to the parking dilemma in Whitby short of paying for a garage. Also, Church Street is pedestrian only but don't be afraid to drive up to the door of the shop when you check in and unload your luggage...people do drive down the street and cars and pedestrians generally accommodate one another.

This is a very sweet little B&B...don't be put off by bad reviews...I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank francofille12
Bradford
Reviewed 11 November 2009

Hello! We're a young couple in our mid twenties. We stayed in room 6 at the Shepherd's Purse for two nights last weekend. A nice lady-girl rang us in the afternoon to check that we were still coming and to make sure we knew where to go when we arrived. The door to our room was unlocked with the key in it on the inside, like the last reviewer said. This didn't bother us though as the place offers a safe environment.

The room was very clean and tidy, fresh white fluffy towels were provided, the lamp had been left on and it was nice and cosy. There was also a full tray of many different herbal teas which was cool! The room also SMELT lovely and looked out over the courtyard as well as up to the rooftops. I felt like Mary Poppins!!

Just a couple of slight downsides....I felt that the mattress was a bit thin and therefore the bed was hard, even though my partner didn't agree. It wasn't a biggie, just that I probably couldn't have slept more than 3 nights on it. Also, if someone has the bathroom light switched on in the room below then it does make a rather loud humming noise. This only lasts for as long as the person is in there though, so as long as they haven't had a vindaloo at Shafique's...then it shouldn't be much of a problem :)

The courtyard at Shepherd's Purse is just the prettiest thing, especially at night when the fairy nights are lit up. It's very peaceful and probably what I liked the most about the place, plus it's quirky little touches.

We went to the White Horse and Griffin a few doors down for tea which was delicious, and very cosy by the fire. Lovely pub and grub after a day of walking from Whiby to Robin Hood's Bay. We also went back for a breakfast and Sunday lunch! The Sunday lunch was outta this world, but we were quite disappointed with the brekky which came to £10 each and wasn't right cracking.

I will definitely stay at the Shepherd's Purse again and can't wait to go back! ♥ Whitby!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple