“Captains lodge...”

Ranked #117 of 151 Whitby B&B and Inns
York
“Captains lodge...”
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Basically shabby, tired and smelly. My daughter and I had room 7 the only twin room right on the top floor. The ceiling had clearly leaked marks were left there. It had an awful smell of damp and sulphur. We didn't stay the night, just couldn't face it. Did not leave the full amount of money but as the hosts were out we left a note too. A text arrived to say room checked and no smell. So only the decor and avocado bathroom set with no heating and no shower were obviously all right. Not the best won't recommend it so glad to be home.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Kim B

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

Spent two nights there after usual never booking ahead. Greeted with a lovely smile and hello from landlady. Room single en suite. Very nice. But must get proper ariels for tv. Only had one breakfast as travel early on morning. Do visit this hotel

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
uk birmingham
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Stayed 1 night late October. Only top floor room 8 was available. It was up 3 flights of stairs, it was a lot of stairs!
I booked it on the day, having looked at the reviews, which looked ok.
It was a bit tired, the breakfast room looked very nice, and breakfast was good and massive.
My complaint is that room 8, was cold and the bathroom was FREEZING. It was impossible to have a bath, it was just too cold in there there is no heating in the bathroom. As others have said the shower fitting is just one of those rubber fittings that goes on the end of the tap.
The lady was going out, but left a number for if we needed her. I did call to say we needed a heater in the room, she didnt reply, and didnt leave a heater for us either!
I was going to say something to her when she was alone, at beakfast, but she came to me and apologised for no hot water in my room- I said that was not me, and when she asked my room number, she thought I was in room 4- obviously someone else in room 4 had complained about no hot water.
She did knock £4 off the bill, but really I was not happy, but didnt want to make a fuss. A relaxing bath before going out is my normal routine whilst away. Dont know how long they have been there, but the big sign outside still has the previous owners names on it! Not good attention to detail.
It is a very central location, which is good, 5 mins from the beach and town centre. Whitby is beautiful, and I cant wait to go back, but wont be staying here again.

Room Tip: avoid top floor in winter, no heater in bathroom of room 8.Its freezing.
3 Thank rozUkBirmingham
north yorkshire
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Very friendly service,good location and a breakfast that would fill the biggest appetite,delicious.Dated and basic rooms but did the job,no showers in the rooms we stayed in.We booked 3 rooms and T.V didn't work in any of them but didn't go to watch telly so no big deal.Could have done with a bit more attention to cleanliness,especially in the bathroom of the single room,all in all this B&B did the job but probably wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank dollydee91
Granborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Used this B&B for an overnight stop on our way back from Edinburgh,. Asked for a 1st floor room and were put on the 2nd floor. Dated would be an understatement for the room. There was a bath with no shower (just an old fashioned rubber attachment hanging on the door for washing your hair). Our TV didn't work. Both of our chairs at breakfast felt like they were going to collapse at any moment. Breakfast was based on quantity rather than quality. Wouldn't recommend.

1 Thank Sandyra60
Heaton Chapel, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Typical guest house, friendly service, great location, good hearty breakfast including delicious kippers, great Genesis/ Mike and the Mechanics sound track in breakfast room. Big old bath that ran quickly....two minutes from cliffs....Special place x

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Wakefield
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My husband and I booked to stay at this lovely place as we were travelling to Scotland and did not want to drive all that way on a Friday night. What a good idea it turned out to be. We arrived about 8.30 p.m. and rang the bell and were greeted by Kathy who opened the gates for us to park and then off we went into the house to be shown our room. The room was great with a view of the sea/sea front. The room had those small touches that make you feel good, china mugs instead of small cups, lots of pillows and a lovely big bed. Warm and cosy like you like your home to be.
We decided to go out for a walk and call in and have a drink somewhere, Kathy took the time to tell us where the drinking establishments were and the age group etc., of the people who drank there, we took her advice and had a great time.
We book breakfast for 8.00 a.m. so that we could get on our way and what a breakfast, my husband had the full breakfast and it was great and huge, I had the poached eggs abd they were lovely. All you need for breakfast is there and more, you just look at the menu in the drawer and place your order the night before.
Free wi-fi is available and the code is near the menu, also a hair dryier. I am so pleased we decided to stay and will be looking to book again.

1 Thank Strongbow110