“Bright accommodation with super view of viaduct”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of River Bank Cottage

A view towards the moors Riverside Walk
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Quiet location by the river
A view towards the moors
Riverside Walk
Riverside Walk
first floor living room
living room to rear
from the living room
kitchen diner looking onto river
kitchen to the patio
bedroom overlooking river
Steam Train seen from cottage
Early morning view
Larpool Viaduct
Riverside Walk from the river
Feeding the ducks on the slipway
Walking the Whitby rail path
Whitby Abbey from the Viaduct
Whitby harbour from the old town
The famous Abbey steps
Taking a sea trip
from Whitby swing bridge
nearby Robin Hood's Bay
Robin Hood's Bay
Everyone likes a holiday!!
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Barbara18...
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Bright accommodation with super view of viaduct”
Reviewed 4 May 2016 for a stay in April 2016

Accommodation set over 3 floors with toilet facilities on ground floor (kitchen) and 3rd floor (bedroom floor). Tv on all 3 levels. Super views from windows and bright accommodation with windows on 2 sides (back and front). Shared garden at rear, a lovely sun trap with table and seating provided. Plenty of walks (although you do have to go up the steep hill to get to the viaduct )-this is then about a 20 minute walk to Whitby. Would have preferred segregated garden area as we have a dog, but knew what we were booking. Go to Foss Falls tea rooms for lovely cakes, about 5 minutes drive away. There is a lovely walk by the river to get to this if you park at the car park further on, next turn after the Foss Falls turning, over the cattle grid. Good communication with owner and just ask if there is anything you need to know about the area. Lots of wires connecting TVs / DVds etc so make sure correct appliance is plugged in and has not fallen out.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The view from the window
Liked least: Climb up the hill
Friends getaway Older travelers
People with pets
Angie-Jay...
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
“Very cosy and well equipped.”
Reviewed 28 April 2016 for a stay in April 2016

Delighted with our stay at River Bank Cottage. Was nice to stay close to river with North Yorkshire Steam trains travelling along on the opposite side of the river. Cottage was well equipped with everything you would need. Nice touch was the fresh orange, milk, tea, coffee and biscuits. Access to town by foot was an enjoyable stroll over the top of the viaduct and along the cinder track. Took us about 25 minutes or less than 10 mins by car. Would definitely stay again and recommend to friends.

Liked best: Well equipped
Liked least: Mattress on bed was a little too firm.
Friends getaway People with pets
Driffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2015 for a stay in December 2015

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: cosy feel to the cottage
Liked least: nothing
People with pets
Management Response
31 Dec 2015
It's really appreciated when our guests take the time to give us feed back, and great to hear that we are doing things right. We like to leave the cottage as we would like it to be for ourselves, so it's a real pleasure when we hear others enjoy it too. Thanks you.
Maxine S
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Lovely cosy cottage”
Reviewed 1 December 2015 for a stay in November 2015
person found this review helpful

We had a lovely 4 night stay here. As soon as we arrived we felt at home straight away. The cottage is fully equipped with everything that you could possibly need. Loved the decor & layout. It was peaceful and relaxing. Lovely views and Whitby & Ruswarp a pleasant 20,minutes walk. Would return again. Thanks Russ & Tricia for the lovely welcome pack.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
graham h
Malaga, Spain
“Spectaular location in a superb cottage”
Reviewed 23 October 2015 for a stay in October 2015
person found this review helpful

Wow!! Wow!! Wonderful.......What an absolute delight and these adjectives are understating my 3 day break at River Bank Cottage... It was everything and more that I needed following a short tour visiting family and friends in Yorkshire. The cottage is excellent, situated in an idyllic location overlooking the river Esk, and for me a 20minutes walk to the harbour in Whitby. The cottage, was spotless, having everything one could wish for, especially for the price. I shall be returning next year for a week, to continue exploring the area. I do not normally append reviews but having read others regarding the cottage I felt it necessary to put mine on record. Five Stars from me!!

How easy was it to book the property? Overall condition of the property
Liked best: The cleanliness, facilities, bed and definately the location
Liked least: Nothing to dislike
Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
davidjT11...
Kilburn, United Kingdom
“Awful !!”
Reviewed 21 October 2015 for a stay in July 2015

Prior to booking our stay I spoke to the owners to enquire if it was suitable for 4 people including 2 children aged 13 & 11 and space for 4 bikes. I was told it was ! Imagine my surprise on arrival when the accommodation consisted of a double bed in the bedroom and the worst pull out double bed in the front room I have ever slept on. My son had to spend a week sleeping on the floor as he didn't have a bed. Also the so called bike storage fitted one bike in at a push so I had to store the bikes in the kitchen as the ring for any additional storage on the outside back wall wasn't protected from the weather. The owner just replied for some reason telling me how much his bikes are worth and how he stores them outside. The accommodation is full of clutter so we had to move things off the surfaces to have any room. The shower leaks through the ceiling & the downstairs toilet didn't flush properly. I emailed the owner numerous times but he just kept referring me to the website and implying I wasn't happy with the weather. The fact is I spoke to his wife who assured me this accommodation would be suitable so I have wasted my money and we even came home early as we couldn't stand another night in this property!!

Management Response
21 Oct 2015
I'm sorry that this guest did not read and fully understand the clear description of the accommodation and sleeping arrangements. It was also verbally explained that our one bedroom cottage had one double bed and one sofa bed, which incidentally is not only nearly new, but also of good quality, fully sprung, and full size. All sofa beds are only ever intended for occasional use, but my 6'4" son has no problems with this bed, and I have had no other such complaints. This guest informed me that he had been unhappy that his 2 teenage children had had to share a bed. I fail to see how one double bed and one sofa bed could provide anything other than this arrangement ! The cycle storage also was fully explained in that I made it clear that the outside, attached brick shed would hold 2 cycles, which it does, and the other 2 could be secured outside the back door to a steel ring and padlock which is securely fixed to the wall. The shower (over bath) only leaks through the floor if the user does not properly close the shower screen to seal the bath rim, as per the clear written guidance left in the bathroom. The downstairs toilet flush was never mentioned at the time, but it did have a minor flush problem, which was repaired as soon as I became aware of it. Our cottage is regularly fully booked throughout most of the year, generally by couples and occasionally by those with younger children, and I therefore have no reason to misrepresent the facts to a guest in order to secure a booking. In fact I would rather leave the cottage unoccupied than rent it to someone who did not fully appreciate its charm, or for whom it was not suitable.
narcol
Northumberland
“Idylic, peaceful, chillaxing.”
Reviewed 19 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015

River bank cottage is situated in a lovely location by the river Esk. It is very comfortable and well equipped, we had a lovely few days chilling out with our two dogs in the peaceful environment. It was a short walk into Whitby, over a very impressive viaduct towering over the landscape. It was also refreshing to see children catching crabs down by the water, or feeding the ducks, playing on swings etc. instead of the dreaded play station.

Overall, it was exactly what we had hoped for.

Liked best: Peace and quiet
Liked least: Video and TV connection kept failing
Families with young children People with pets
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing