Dunsley Hall
  • Pool
Estbek House(Sandsend)
Hudsons(Whitby)
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewscomplimentary sherrycountry houselovely hotelpublic roomsminute driveon arrivalfour poster bedsunday lunchlots of characterone night stayoriginal featuresan evening mealrelaxing breakbed and breakfastbeautiful roomthe ground floorshort break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Booked two rooms for a two night stay on a KGB deal (one for the in-laws and one for myself, wife and 5 year old child). I was informed when I booked the rooms that there was a £50 extra charge for my son which was acceptable... unfortunatley we didn't realise that we would be paying extra for a low quality room.
On arrival to the grand looking hotel we were greated by the frostiest receptionist I've ever encountered. She showed us to our rooms, the inlaws first having a lovely grand looking room on the ground floor..( which wasn't as grand as it first appeared on closer inspection).. then we were shown to ours. We followed the receptionist to what can only be described as an attic room, as far away from the main building as possible, up the grottiest looking stairs I've ever seen. The room itself seemed to be filled with all the left over furniture they seemed to have had. There were stains on the carpet and walls, the kettle was so disgusting I had to ask for a new one and the TV was so old it must have been on Noahs Ark... even the remote control was held together by sticky tape!! If we hadn't already paid we'd have left there and then.
After being told that there wasn't any other rooms available we decided to make the best of it, but after a bad nights sleep ( especially my son who had to sleep on a sofa bed with a mattress the thickness of a pancake) , mediocre breakfast and general unhappiness with the whole experience, we decided we couldn't stop another night and checked out the evening of what should have been our second nights stay.
Credit to some of the the staff though, they did try to help us as best they could, and did seem to know what we were talking about... needless to say they didn't try to charge me the extra £50, which apparently we should never have even been asked to pay in the first place!!

Room Tip: If you are offered room 10... run a mile!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank SteveDalton78
Reviewed 20 August 2012

At the end of the lane to Dunsley Hall is a sign with the name of the hotel, when we saw this we thought we were on the way to a haunted mansion, the paint on the sign was peeling off and the olde worlde writing was a blast from the past. On arrival, The staff were very friendly and the location is pleasant, but we found the hotel quite pokey and elements of it shabby, there were cobwebs in the hall and a lot of the furniture had seen better days. Room was ok with a modern shower cubicle which had the ability to spray at you from all angles and all over the floor if you were not careful! Breakfast was average at best. At £159 for a night I did not think this was particularly great value but equally not extortionate. I would not choose to stay here again as there are other better alternatives locally. Once again I should say that the staff here were great and with a little investment and attention to some obvious issues this hotel could easily be improved.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DannyUK
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Good location about 3 miles from Whitby and 2 miles from the beach at Sandsend down a quiet country lane, very peaceful and tranquil location. Well kept grounds. Ample parking.

Rooms were comfortably furnished and spotlessly clean, as were the public rooms. We went with my parents, the rooms are all differently furnished and decorated. My parents room had a roll top bath with a hand held shower, although this was not a problem for them, they said the bath was very slippery and difficult to get in and out for someone with less mobility, so be aware. Our room had a bedroom with an enormous bed with a separate lounge and bathroom with a shower over the bath. Rooms were cleaned daily by lovely cheerful staff.

Very nice terrace if the weather's good to sit and have a drink.

Breakfast was of good quality with plenty of choice.

Evening Meal - We ate in the restaurant, there were 2 menus. I expect to pay more to eat in a hotel of this quality but The a la carte menu was very expensive indeed, some main courses being in excess of £30 and some desserts over £10 !!, there is a menu which changes daily and had only 3 choices of mains, 1 meat, 1 fish and 1 veggie and this was priced at £22 for 2 courses and £30 for 3. We ate from this menu and it was very good qulaity and we all enjoyed our meals. Wine prices were fairly expensive and I had to send the first bottle back as it was 'off'. However, I opted for a cheaper bottle but was charged for the original bottle when I looked at the bill.

Which brings me to the bill. We noticed when we were checking in that someone was questioning their restaurant bill which prompted me to check mine when we checked out. Sure enough, both my bills for the 2 rooms were overcharged by £32 in total, the receptionist was apologetic and changed the bills but you may want to check your bill carefully before you leave.

I would like to recommend the Magpie in Whitby, where we had the best fish and chips I have eaten in a long time.

Overall we had a lovely 2 night stay at this hotel and I could not really fault it. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a quiet and relaxing break in lovely surroundings. Be aware - we stayed thursday and friday nights - this is a popular wedding venue at weekends, so I am not sure how peaceful it would be then!!

Room Tip: No 2 rooms are the same at this hotel if you prefer a shower bear in mind some rooms only have a bath.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 50sbumblebee
Reviewed 16 August 2012

My wife and I stayed at Dunsley Hall for two nights in August 2012 and were very impressed, the rooms were spacious, spotlessly clean and well decorated as were the public rooms. The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful whilst the hotel surroundings were quiet and secluded, about two miles from the beach at sandsend. There were a couple of items that could be improved upon but should not detract from the overall excellence of the hotel, I will however mention them and hope the management take heed, the dinner menu was a little on the expensive side and the set market menu was somewhat limited, although the food itself was very good. The breakfast could not be faulted. The final item was the lack of a shower in the bathroom, we are getting on a bit and climbing in the bath is fine, it is the getting out that is problematic, a minor personal issue but it did cause me problems. Finally, it was a supurb hotel where we would love to return and we would not hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank pomfret
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We visited Dunsley Hall Country House Hotel at the end of April. The location was excellent, a few minutes from the North York Moors. The hotel was down a country lane and had an element of seclusion which was definitely a plus point for me. Another plus point was the ample parking at the hotel. It is a grand building from the Victorian era. It was a little more costly than the breaks I have previously undertaken but I wanted to take my girlfriend somewhere special. Dunsley Hall satisfied these requirements.

The room was very spacious and clean with a nice bath. No shower unfortunately but the bath was lovely. The tea and coffee were replenished each day along with the water. I know this is to be expected but after staying at a 4 star hotel where this did not happen it is worth a brief mention. Our room was overlooking a small garden with a water feature which was very pleasant. It was very close to the bar which concerned me at first though there was no need as it was very quiet all evening.

After a 6 hour drive I felt a little worse for wear upon arrival but after a few hours in the bar with a few soft drinks I soon started to feel better. We were served with pudding by Lydia who was very kind and attentive. This was indicative of the high quality of service within the hotel. During our stay we had a chat with one of the hoteliers Carol who helped make our stay memorable. On our second evening after a walk around Whitby Abbey and town we were in need of a nice meal. There was a bar menu and a dining area menu and as steak was on the bar menu we decided upon staying in the bar. The bar had the air of a Gentleman’s club with comfortable leather sofas and chairs. It was a very nice atmosphere. I had a well done steak and unlike some chefs who tend to associate well done with burnt to a crisp the steak was simply superb so compliments to the chef for this lovely dinner. After being given the opportunity of tasting wines we settled upon the Merlot which was an excellent accompaniment. I mention this for the level of service again as being given the opportunity to taste a couple of wines before deciding upon the one we wanted is not the sort of service which happens often.

One minor niggle and due to the relaxing bar had little effect on us was the fact that the television only had 4 channels. Freeview would have been nice but to be honest we were out and about or in the relaxing bar so I would have had very little time had it been installed. I mention this for completeness as for some people this may be important.

There was also a lovely old lounge with a fireplace and I would like to have spent more time in here but unfortunately time was not on our side. For the warmer weather there is also a terrace where one can have a drink and a sit down. Luckily when night we arrived was warm enough to be able to do this and it was nice and peaceful.

The breakfast was served in the very large dining area was very nice and plentiful with fruit cocktail and a choice of menu. I had the full English with locally sourced produce and it was very nice.

Overall we had a lovely stay and this hotel not only met my high standards but far exceeded them. I would definitely recommend a break at this hotel. The area is also full of historic attractions, there is a beach at Whitby, a museum and of course plenty of moors to stroll. I should also add we were there during the Goth weekend and it gave the town a great atmosphere. I found the ones I met to be courteous and friendly.

There is so much to do in the area that I look forward to returning and when I do I will be staying at Dunsley Hall.

Room Tip: The ones closer to the bar and the water feature were very nice and relaxing. Despite clicking on swimming pool there waas no pool so that was an error on my part.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple