“Worst place I have ever stayed at” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dunsley Hall

Dunsley Hall
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Chester-le-Street, United Kingdom
“Worst place I have ever stayed at”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

As a professional I have stayed in hundreds of hotels, but Dunsley Hall takes the accolade of being the worst one I have had the displeasure of staying in.
After travelling over 6 hours from Scotland, I was looking forward to some food. We checked in and were taken to our room, (room 17). On checking the room out, we found that the sofa had numerous stains on the seating area, and when I mentioned this to the duty manager all I was met with was an indifferent attitude, and a statement that I had asked for a room with a shower, as if that made the state of the room okay. The carpet and décor were tired and in need of refurbishment, the wallpaper in the bathroom was coming off the walls, there was cobwebs on the walls and ceilings, but this was not confined to just our room, this was endemic throughout the hotel and the ceiling had damp patches on the ceiling.
The carpet on the first rung of the stairs is threadbare and on the next flight of stairs also, you are then met with the obligatory black and yellow warning tape across a stair as there is a fault with it. But, it is old and curling up, so they have not even bothered to fix it, and are using the warning tape to get out of fixing it. Health and safety would be very interested in this one.
We then went to the bar to order food and the first thing I saw in the kitchen was one of the chefs sitting on a work surface checking her ipad, I should have known then! The hotel does have a good selection on the menu and we ordered the Fish taster for 2 and my wife ordered a medium Rump stake and I ordered Sirloin, when the chef took the order from the waitress, we overheard him stating "oh, they haven't ordered this have they" obviously we had spoilt their easy night as they would have do some work.
The first course arrived and were told as it was put down on the table that unfortunately the mackerel pate was not available, so why wasn't this mentioned when we ordered it and not when they have cooked the starter, essentially serving an item that was not fully complete.
The steaks turned up, and I was shocked at the colour of my wife's rump steak, it was black, (this was meant to be a medium, mine was a medium, and I had asked for a medium rare, but as I was now starving I ate mine, even though it was salty. The wife's rump steak was extremely salty and she could not eat it, we also had green beans with pancetta, which we did not eat, the hand cut chips were not very nice either, so most of the food was left. We believe that they may have cooked the steaks with the pancetta based on the amount of salt that was on the steaks, I say cooked but that would imply that they knew what they were doing.
Breakfast again was nothing to write home about, Luke warm beans, overcooked sausage.
Needless to say we did not eat there on the second night.
My complaints had to be dealt with the following morning, but we had left before the duty manager came on shift.
We received a discount on the fish course, a discount on my steak as I had eaten it, but left the rest of the meal, and no charge for my wife's Steak. As a way of an apology we received a bottle of wine, although appreciated, it does not wipe the slate clean , about the poor quality of food we were given, I can now appreciate how Hocker 91 felt. You could smell dirty chip fat coming from the kitchen as you walked by.
I am at a loss as to some of the glowing compliments this place has been given, as they do not match my very real experience of this place.
A beautiful building in a great location destroyed by apathy.
They need to find chefs that at least have some passion about cooking, and who can actually cook, and get professionals in to cast an eye over this place to bring it up to date.
Housekeeping need to be reminded that cobwebs do not add character to a place, it just shows lack of cleanliness.
Finally to add insult to injury, I was overcharge on my room on checkout, as I did not have my details with me could not check the figure, which appeared to be way too high.
I was shocked to find that for my first night it cost £89.00 and my second night £179, had I known this at the start I would not have booked, but as I booked through booking.com only got the full total.
There is no way in heaven that a stay at Dunsley Hall is worth £179 per night, for that price, I would be staying at a rather grander place than Dunsley Hall.
My only advice to people is find somewhere else as Dunsley Hall is way over priced, dirty and in need of renovation. The food! - well the least said the better.
I will never stay at this place again.

Room Tip: Do not pick this hotel
9 Thank Ken T
Management135, General Manager at Dunsley Hall, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor.

We value all feedback good and bad and from such a seasoned traveller as yourself even more interesting.

Whilst we take on board all your comments, we do feel some points raised are incorrect and would like to take this opportunity to respond accordingly.

The room you were allocated was chosen for you due to the fact you had requested a shower and not all of our rooms have stand alone showers.

The sofa in the room is due for upholstery cleaning but as I am sure you can appreciate this is a job for a professional cleaning company and as such we are reliant on when he can come and carry out the work.

We appreciate your comments about the carpet and décor being tired and in need of refurbishment, we quite agree on this in certain areas but it is rather like the Fourth Bridge and an ongoing project. Dunsley Hall was built in 1900 and is such a lovely old building that any refurbishments need to be carried out sympathetically and in keeping with the character of the building.

You refer to the obligatory black and yellow warning tape on the step into the corridor as if we are using it to mask a problem and that health and safety would be interested, well on the contrary they would be interested if it wasn’t there as it is there as a warning to let people know there is a step down into the corridor.

As far as your evening meal is concerned I believe that your complaints were dealt with accordingly by way of a discount on the food and a complimentary bottle of wine on the actual evening in question.

It is true we have been given glowing compliments and all have been earned and well deserved. Unfortunately your personal experience differs from the majority of people who stay with us and indeed keep returning time after time.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

Having arrived for check in at the quoted time of 14:00, we arrived to find that our room wasn't prepared. We was taken to the room but upon opening of the door, the room was filthy from the last occupants. We was escorted to the bar and offered a complimentary drink and told the receptionist would return when the room was cleaned. Having waited in excess of an hour, I returned to reception to query the check in time to find the room was 'ready' but nobody had come to inform myself.

When we eventually got in to the room, there were cobwebs in all four corners of the room, 4 lightbulbs were out across the room and plug sockets were broken.

We decided to leave the room and enjoy our trip around whitby (late due to the room check in issue) and returned after 10pm. Ready for a nice pleasant nice sleep, I pulled the covers back to reveal two single beds pushed together to create a double, with a large crack down the middle. To say this was uncomfortable would be an understatement. This wasn't aided by the itchiness of the bed (this could be a skin problem but my partner experienced the same problem), which led us to believe the bed sheets weren't actually changed.

Having had a terrible uncomfortable sleep, we arrived down at breakfast (must be there before 9:45 - even though you are on holiday and would probably want to sleep in), to be served cold sausages. Having eaten half the sandwhich out courtesy, we decided to leave. I have now suffered from sickness and diarrhoea for two days.

Upon checkout of the room, we was informed the room was a 'deluxe suite' (although the room looked nothing of sort on the website). As we booked through www.booking.com we actually feel we was given a standard room (which would actually of cost £40 less by booking through the hotel). All in all we felt we was scammed and ripped off with the room. As soon as we raised this to the receptionist the room was immediately deducted to the standard room rate.

All in all, appalling service, cleanliness and poor food. Location is beautiful.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Hocker91
Management135, General Manager at Dunsley Hall, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us.
I do apologise for the room not being ready on your arrival, we are aiming on having the rooms ready for our guests before two o'clock unfortunately there are occasions when the rooms are not ready and in this case we have offered you a complimentary drink while you were waiting for the room to be serviced.
We have inspected the room after you have checked out and unfortunately we were unable to find the faults that were addressed apart to one light bulb that would have been gladly replaced if we would have been made aware.
Please find there is no possibility that your sheets where not changed, all our linen is cleaned and wash by an independent company.
We are sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your sleep and breakfast your comments have been noted but once again I would like to ensure you that our breakfast is cooked from fresh and served between 8:00AM and 10:00AM, nobody else have reported that they have suffered from food poisoning, I can ensure you that our staff are specially trained to limit the spread of such viruses as effectively as possible by, among other things, regularly using anti-viral cleaning materials on each and every surface. I have to say though that we have found leftovers in your room which seem to be from a take away pizza, which proves again that there may be other causes.

Dunsley Hall is a Country House Hotel which has a variety of rooms classed either as standard doubles or deluxe doubles, we are trying to present a clear image of the hotel by presenting as many pictures as possible through our booking sites, in your case you have booked a standard double but have been upgraded free of charge to a deluxe double. We have offered you a discount as a gesture of good will as we felt that some of your comments have been justified.
We'd once again like to extend our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Had a nice two day break. Room was large and comfortable,as was the bathroom.(hadn't been vacuumed) but it was at the top of the hall,up a lot of stairs.Furnishings were a bit tired,but had plenty of character. lovely breakfast, juice, cereal,pastries,fruit that you could help yourself to,plus a choice of full English which was great or salmon and scrambled eggs etc. I thought the stay was very good value for money. It was clean,spacious and a very nice place to stay to visit
whitby,Scarborough,Goathland.

I would stay here again.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
ManagerLP51, Front Office Manager at Dunsley Hall, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
whitby,Scarborough,Goathland.

I would stay here again.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I apologise sincerely if your room appeared not to have been hoovered, and will address this with our housekeeping team.
I'm glad you enjoyed your breakfast, our chef provides a variety of delicious options to start your day with.
We hope to see you again soon!
Kind regards,
Dunsley Hall Hotel.
durham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Just returned from a night here. It was ok. Hotel lovely downstairs but our room was rubbish. Given the cheapest room which had stains all over the carpet. I complained as a radiator plug started to melt in the socket and then sparked. Windows rattled. We stayed in room 10.

• Stayed April 2014
Darlington, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Dunsley Hall is charming mansion built in 1900 on the outskirts of Whitby, about a 10 minute drive. We tried to get some information on the history of the building but the staff were unable to provide any. Our room was excellent, clean with lovely views with a large with a comfortable sofa The toilet was also clean, again very large with an excellent shower. The bed however, unlike the sofa was uncomfortable and the mattress needs renewal as a matter of priority.
We had a meal in the bar and the food was excellent but the bar itself was rather cold and unwelcoming as is the breakfast room. The staff were friendly and helpful.
This is a nice hotel, all it needs is someone with a good eye to refurbish and redecorate to removes its somewhat tired look.
Would I stay again, probably!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Management135, General Manager at Dunsley Hall, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you very much for your comments, we are glad that you appreciate the character and charm of the building and that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our brochure does provide some information about Dunsley Hall and the surrounding areas, which are subject to updating to provide a more detailed version of this beautiful building which use to be the home of a shipping magnate.
Your comments have been noted and they will be subject of an investigation to ensure the slipping quality is met for our guests. The hotel itself it is a historical building and each room has it's own character and twist about it.
Once again I would like to thank you for your comments and look forward to seeing you again.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

My partner and I stayed at the hotel for a weekend trip to Whitby. We found the entrance to the hotel very attractive and the hotel had a very traditional, but pleasant feel. The room itself was spacious and clean with plenty of room for clothes storage. We were slightly unimpressed that our 'double' room consisted of two twin beds zipped together, and the beds themselves, although comfortable, creaked at the slightest move. We were considering eating at the hotel in the evening as it is fairly isolated if you travel there on public transport as we did. However the options for vegetarians were limited so we instead walked down to the nearest village, Sandsend, where there are several nice pubs. Overall we did enjoy our stay and found the surroundings quiet and relaxing, the main downside, however, has to be the breakfast. The restaurant was nice but the food lacked the quality £25 for two people one would expect. As vegetarians we contacted the hotel previously to make sure that there would be options for us (as we were aware of how traditional it was) but were reassured that there would be more than enough for us. Once ordering the cooked vegetarian breakfast we were told that there were no sausages for us and no alternative was offered. What arrived was far from appealing, a few lukewarm beans, an egg that was solid and chewy and 'bacon' that had barely been cooked. The continental selection was also fairly limited.
Aside from these issues we still did enjoy our stay however would advise vegetarians to consider the extensive range of eateries in Whitby for breakfast instead!

1 Thank Emily F
Thank you very much for posting a review for us on trip advisor, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us with some of our rooms that can be used as a twin or double depending on our customers choice, in your case the beds have been zipped offering a large and comfortable king size bed.
We are striving to offer a diverse vegetarian menu for evening meals consisting of approximately 4 options for mains which is more than your average restaurant, for breakfast our continental option consist in multiple cereal choices, freshly baked pastries, yoghurt, fruits, juices and to order porridge and multiple fish dishes, depending on the dietary options, and a cooked vegetarian full breakfast, which has been addressed to offer more options.
Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you again.
Blackburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

Getting to Dunsley Hall is an adventure in itself, a single track winding through the countryside - take it easy and watch out for taxis. The grounds are beautifully maintained and worth a quick peak before you go inside. Its a place to be with people you really want to be with - quiet and exclusive, there are no views from inside the building, so you can spend more time with your guests and less time taking in the sea views. if you go past the hall you drop to Sands end which is a beautiful little village.

Room Tip: We upgraded, but the other rooms are great
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael C
ManagerLP51, Front Office Manager at Dunsley Hall, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We are very lucky to be set in beautiful grounds and I'm glad you had the time to appreciate them for yourself. Sandsend is a charming little village indeed, so we're thankful that it's within walking distance.
We hope to see you again soon!
Kind regards,