“Not impressed !”

Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
London, United Kingdom
“Not impressed !”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Location along a country road through a Ford. Room quite nice. Unable to get mobile signal. Free wi-fi on offer but no details. Infact in the room there was no information about the hotel or anything at all ? Went to the Reception enquiring about the wi-fi. Was given the wrong information so had to return to Reception to sort it out. In any case our room appeared to be out of range so waste of time. Enquired as to why there was no information in the room about the hotel or anything. Was told they had just changed owners ! Oh that explains it ....NOT ! Not impressed at all. Breakfast was a shambles. No one was there to show you to your table, or what to do. Several other guests were wandering around unsure what to do. Where were the staff ?? Finally......success!...that you just found a table yourself and helped yourself to cereal etc. a member of staff finally appeared and took our breakfast order. On a side table there were some fruits etc but the croissants had run out. We asked for more and, just, one was brought to our table ! The toast machine was dangerous and bread caught fire inside. Again no staff present. We let it burn itself out which luckily it did without spreading. Have had better service at a Premier Inn.

Room Tip: Wait a while!
ManagerLP51, Manager at Dunsley Hall, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel, I'm disappointed to hear you didn't enjoy your stay.
Unfortunately due to our remote location and thick walls we can't boast to have the best phone signal, however telephones are provided in all our bedrooms. Wi-fi is available throughout the hotel, and cards with our wi-fi code can be found on reception and in the bar. Any member of staff would have happily supplied you with one of these if asked.
We have indeed just changed owners, so all our previous room packages have been removed to be updated with our new details, and are in print. All I can do is apologise for this, however there are several books and leaflets in our lounge area with information on the local area and the hotel itself.
I'm sorry to hear you weren't impressed with your service at breakfast, and that your toast was on fire. It's not something I've ever come across myself, but will certainly look in to doing a risk assessment.
Negative comments regarding service are most unusual for Dunsley Hall, so will be looked in to further.
If you would like to discuss any of the raised issues further please feel free to contact me personally.

Kind regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Having just returned from a long weekend stay, i can highly recommend this hotel. The staff were kind and courteous and the hotel and grounds were stunning. We ate in the bar twice and found that the food was excellent and although not cheap, was reasonably priced for the quality and lovely comfortable surroundings. We found that the room (10) was a little tired and lacked a proper shower and for the hotel management's reference, (i assume that this will be read) there were 2 lightbulbs out, the door lock needed some attention and the blind in the bathroom came unstuck from it's roller (this has obviously happened before as it had been stuck back at some point with tape) as well as generally slightly tired feel. It has to be said that this didn't really detract from the room which was clean and has a comfy, homely feel unlike many of the modern soulless hotels to it but it does stop the otherwise full marks.

4 Thank Robert W
ManagerLP51, Marketing at Dunsley Hall, responded to this review, 23 February 2015
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

I'm happy to hear you received a warm welcome at Dunsley Hall and enjoyed your meal with us. Renovations are in place in our bedrooms and communal areas, I'd love to invite you back to see the improvements for yourself.

We hope to see you again in the not so distant future.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel a couple of times now, most recently 31/05/14, rooms really nice and spacious, we had a suite this time which meant an extra sitting room with fantastic views of the gardens and the sea in the distance, the bathroom is very large and also the bedrooms, all very clean and tidy. Would highly recommend anybody wanting something close to Whitby but far enough away from the hustle and bustle.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 16 and would highly recommend :-)
3 Thank Lisa A
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel. It delights me to hear you enjoyed your stay so much.

We sincerely hope to see you again soon.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We booked a 3 night stay at this hotel some weeks ago but after reading some of the negative reviews we questioned whether we should cancel. My wife said that we should give it a go so we went. We arrived at the hotel about 5.00pm and was welcomed by the manager and after registering he showed us around the hotel pointing out the restaurant, dining room, bar and the lounge area after which he showed us to our room and what a room it was, large and spacy with a comfortable seating area and 2 large wardrobes which could accommodate all of our clothing. On inspection my wife couldn't find the hair dryer and on reporting this to reception one was delivered to our room within 10 minutes. We dined in the bar and had an enjoyable meal and drink, so much so that we dined in the bar every evening and the food was always freshly cooked and hot. One evening I asked the waitress if there were any specials on the menu and she went away to check. On her return she said that there weren't any specials but the chef had said that if there was anything special that we would like he would try to arrange it for us. This was typical of the staff all of who we found to be helpful and friendly.
We both took note of previous negative reviews but could not find anything matching these reviews. Yes the hotel is old and does need some updating but it is what it is. If you are used to staying in hotels that are all chrome and glass then this is not for you but if you prefer an older type of hotel then this could well suit you.

15 Thank Edward H
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review of our hotel, I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

Here at Dunsley Hall we pride ourselves on a high level of customer service, so I'm glad you found our staff friendly and helpful.

I certainly hope to see you again soon, to give you a warm welcome back.

Linlithgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

At the time of my stay here the weather was extremely dismal with the cloud creating an eerie feel. I didn't have chance to explore the area around or the views of the building which I expect are probably extremely good.
On arrival the receptionist was busy with another couple, and as he needed to guide them to their room (it is a bit of a maze) I had to wait. However he was back quite promptly and efficiently booked me in.
My room was a lovely large old fashioned affair with a large 6 section stone pillar leaded window looking out onto the lane. The room and en-suite were beautifully clean and homely (even a few pottery pieces on the dado rail).
I dined at the hotel, there being very little nearby (Whitby is a 15 minute cab ride away). The service is excellent, with your order being taken in the bar before your are shown to your table in the dining room. Unfortunately I did not find the food to my taste - I enjoy fine dining, but I though the dish's were too fussy with the chef apparently wanting to see how many differing tastes he could mix up. I had a Celeriac Crab Roulade (advertised as Textures & flavours of Apple) and I could not detect any hint of crab in either texture or flavour - why make something taste like something else?
Cooked breakfast was only served from 08:00 which I found to be a little late (most hotels do 07:30) - with a taxi at 08:30 for the train out of Whitby this was extremely tight. In the end I had to forego a cooked breakfast and just have cereal & fruit.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Colin H
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel, I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at Dunsley Hall.

I'm sorry the weather wasn't behaving itself, I can assure you our views on a sunny day are delightful, and hope you'll see them for yourself one day.
We pride ourselves on a high level of cleanliness at Dunsley Hall, I will be sure to pass on your positive feedback to our housekeeping team.

I'm sorry to hear the food wasn't to your taste, we have a new chef & menu since your stay with us, if you were to return I'd hope you would find our new menu suited you. With regards to breakfast, should you return and need to leave early please mention it to a member of staff and we will try and serve your breakfast at an earlier time to suit you.

We really hope to see you again.

Lincolnshire
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel last minute and what a brilliant choice it was. To say it is a 3* is a massive understatement. We had room 17 which was more of a suite. A huge bed, and sofa and the biggest bathroom ever!! We will go back and would highly recommend. Really friendly staff, we had a good laugh with them. Thank you for a great stay :-)

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ZLWLincolnshire
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review of our hotel.

It delights me to hear you enjoyed your stay with us so much, and we really do hope to see you again soon!

Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We booked an overnight stay here on the basis of good ratings with Trip Advisor. Excellent directions to finding a rather remote village. Lovely old characterful house, with ample car parking. We received very efficient and friendly reception, and after a short wait in a comfortable drawing room with fabulous old leather armchairs, having been offered tea while we waited,(as we had arrived early). Our room was spacious, quiet and comfortable, and lived up to everything we expected in a hotel of this standard.

However, we had a slight problem with the evening meal. There was a good selection to choose from, and although the price looked high, we chose to eat in the hotel, expecting that at that price, the cooking would be faultless. Regrettably, it was not. I ordered asparagus with poached egg and shrimps. the portion was pretty small (O.K. it was a starter, but at half of £29.50 h'mm?). The asparagus was extremely woody, and the portions of shrimps was miniscule. Disappointing. My main course was salmon, poached, which was fine, but once again the broccoli that came with it was very hard , barely cooked, or if cooked came from very tough plants.
My wife ordered Barnsley chop with the usual accompaniments (mashed potato and black pudding) which was edible but rather on the tough side, and the fatty edges, which are expected to be crisp were not cooked. Maybe we've been watching too much Master Chef, but we do know what to look out for. The dessert was a very tasty cherry sponge type of thing, but again extremely small. Pity, as we were happy to pay a high price for perfect food, but this was really not worth the high price.
I drew the attention of the Receptionist (manager?) to this situation as we left, and she took serious notice of our complaint, giving me a rebate of the price of one round of drinks, which was un-asked for, but appreciated.
We would certainly give the Hotel another shot, as I suspect this was just a slip up, but it was a pity.

Room Tip: room 23 was very quiet and overlooked the garden as did several others on that ground floor corridor...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

We have a new chef, and a new menu since your last stay with us here at Dunsley. I can only apologise that your dining experience with us last time wasn't perfect, should you return we shall endeavour to make it so.

We sincerely hope to see you again soon.