“Very nice”

Dunsley Hall
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
“Very nice”
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Spent the night here with my girlfriend lovely location and charming hotel whitby be town is quaint and lots to see and do if seafood is your thing you cant go wrong we loved it great day/ night out, i would defiantly recommend this hotel

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Peter A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

Don't normally post reviews on trip adviser but thought our experience was more positive then some of the recent reviews here. I agree some parts of the hotel need a little updating but we found Dunsley Hall to be comfortable, the staff friendly and the breakfast very tasty. I also found the hotel to be clean and they made an effort to accommodate our baby by putting up a travel cot and providing a high chair in the dining room without our prompting. The hotel exterior is beautiful and although we didn't explore the grounds fully they looked good too. Thanks for a pleasant trip.

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Anna A
Shepshed, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Having booked 1 week in advance and have had assurance from the booking company and emails confirming our booking we arrived after a 130 mile trip to be told there was no room and we were the second couple that day that had been turned a way and that they had tried to contact us a 12pm on our arrival day We asked for the manager not on site we asked why the board displayed outside said rooms available no answer we were told that the hotel had been bought out so I ask why they were displaying all the notices from the tourist industry as they were not representative of the hotels new owner no answer. The receptionist offered us a B & B some 10 miles back from where we had come after a quite heated debate she admitted that the hotel was at fault and found a hotel some 30miles from our chosen destination and agreed to pay for it how ever on arrival at that hotel we were asked to pay after informing the hotel they contacted then to resolve the issues .We although booked breakfast at Dunsley Hall had to pay for it at our other hotel we had to park some 5 streets away and carry our suite case I HAVE SENT REPEATED EMAILS TO DUNSLEY HALL ASKED AND BEEN TOLD THE MANAGER WOULD CALL ME BUT TO DATE 26.8.2014 THIS AS NOT HAPPENDING I WOULD WITH DUE RESPECT NO RECOMMEND THE HOTEL OR ITS MANGER
Our receptionist was polite and helpful her name was Michelle pity the manager is not .

Having read the reviews posted re poor quality and standard I would agree totally £150.00per night for substandard accommodation I have contacted the tourist information board re this hotel which they recommend

Room Tip: Check room faces south
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Tom M
gtown
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Spent one night here in room 8 , dirty stained mattress that is tired and needs replacing , dust and cobwebs everywhere . I was booked in for two nights but found the staff rude and the hotel in need of a good clean . I would not return to this hotel and would not recommend it either .

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank conemanGtown
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from 2 nights away at Dunsley Hall. We were in room 1, which was very large with a four poster bed. Although it could do with an upgrade, my husband and I still loved it. The hotel has loads of character and this is carried on throughout the hotel. We had a meal in the hotel on the Friday night which was lovely and the service was excellent. All the staff were very helpful and friendly.
We would definitely return.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank SamnLes
Old Penshaw, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

This is situated in a very quiet part of Whitby. Brilliant location... Hotel is very olde worlde.. The bedrooms are in need of a facelift and no " freebies " in the bathroom, but they were immaculate. Sheets and all the bedding , nipping clean as were the towels. The food is second to none, a must to try. Breakfast has a vast menu and very tasty. The Staff at the hotel are local, no foerigeners!!!! They could not do enough for us, especially the Breakfast staff.. Nothing is too much bother. The Hotel grounds are nice to sit in and have a coffee.. The whole place is so peaceful. We did hear that the Hotel has just been taken over and the new owner has plans to up-grade. Would defo recommend.. You do need a car to get around though as it is not that easy to get a taxi to and fro from Whitby.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CoralDart
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I had the Misfortune to spend a night here in August with my family. I've never liked the seaside/coast, but my wife booked a country house hotel to soften the blow.
Looking at trip advisor pictures, I was actually looking forward to going. The bedrooms looked luxurious, the bar and lounge looked so classy and the building itself. Something else. After a 4 hour drive we arrived to be met by a miserable soul at the reception desk. Never in all the hotels I've ever stayed in have i been greeted, or not as the case may be, by someone who clearly didn't want to be there & obviously doesn't enjoy her job. After been pointed in the direction of my room (literally, as it was too much for her to walk us in) I was bitterly disappointed. The headboard hit me first of all, A blue and yellow checky affair, not at all in keeping with the rest of the rooms decor. There were two greasy dirty head marks where our heads were later to be. A cursory look around threw up several more disappointments. Dust on the window sills, picture frames & on the complimentary toiletries... how old were they??
There were several cobwebs around too!! There were dark stains on the carpet where one would put ones feet getting in & out of bed... The main light was on one side of the room holding 5 bulbs... all different and one was out. This theme seemed to follow throughout the hotel as on are way down to the lounge we noticed cobwebs & dust on several of the windows, window catches & sills. I myself was prepared to leave there & then, but as i was travelling with family & some of my party were prepared to turn a blind eye to the dust. In the morning after a tentative sleep,. (incidentally i unscrewed the headboard & removed it & slept headboardless) I hopped into the shower only to find that shower was a contradictory word, trickle was more apt. I think i should have had a dust bath like a bird, there was more of that than water. Hoping that breakfast would be a plus. (fingers crossed) we wandered into the breakfast room. sat at a table & waited, & waited, & waited. Finally my wife caught the eye of one of the two standing & watching waitresses. We were given no direction what to do even though we walked by these ladies on entering, I noticed several other guests looking as bewildered as we were. Breakfast by the way was not that good, Tasteless bacon, a tough sausage & a semi runny egg with lukewarm beans just doesn't do it for me i'm afraid. Whilst we were all together we decided 1 night was enough and went to the reception to inform the miserable soul of our complaints & that we would be leaving, She made a comment about charging us 50% for the day we should have stayed, but we made it clear that that was not happening as they failed to deliver the previous day. We all went up to pack. The manager was called just as we were paying & i must say I am thoroughly disappointed that at no point did the manager apologise or say, 'What can we do to make you stay', or even offer to walk around the room to verify or dismiss our complaints. Disgraceful customer care, dirty dusty rooms & a bad breakfast. This stay was a huge let down run by badly managed team. I am stunned by the amount of positive reviews i have read, reviews which lead to my wife choosing to stay at Dunsley Hall. This is my first ever review on Tripadvisor but i felt it my duty to warn others...

I will never return to this hotel & my advise to you is don't book a stay here either.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family