“Lovely hotel in a great location”
Review of Dunsley Hall

and 1 more site!
Dunsley Hall
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed 5 September 2010

We had a lovely break at this hotel. The bedroom was large & very comfortable. Both breakfast & dinner were very good. All the staff were all friendly & helpful. We enjoyed the walk down to Sandsend.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 August 2010

We ( my husband and I ) visited Dunsley Hall for 2 nights and were suitably impressed. The trip was booked as a relaxing break for us both and booked to coincide with my birthday. Our room was excellent - beautiful four poster ( modern) and lovely views. The room had everything one could expect and some extras - Cadburys Hot Chocolate sachets on the tea tray and bottled water in the room.
The hotel has been sympathetically modernised and has retained many of its original features which all adds to the ambiance and general warm feeling.
We had booked dinner, bed and breakfast and we thought that the food was very good. The menu erred on the fishy side but this is hardly suprising since the sea is visible from the hotel! We found the food well prepared and presented and there has obviously been a lot of thought put into the menu - and this shows.
We were fortunate with the weather and we thought that the little garden outside the bar a glorious place to sit.
The staff were attentive but not overly so - some of the restaurant staff could do with some extra training since for all intents and purposes this is a fine dining experience. High marks to the owners son ( whose name I cant remember - shame on me) who I found to be just informal enough and very helpful.
I obviously have to mention the "mark down" points or this review would not be fair.
The televisions in the bedroom only had the five main tv channels and I think that most people would expect to have freeview as a minimum standard on hotel televisions.
Some of the staff were excellent but some let the hotel down - a few more smiles, acknowledgements, and attentiveness would have gone a long way.
The prices of drinks in the bar were a little overpriced - but none more so than the soft drinks. I find £1.80 for a half of mixer diet coke horribly overpriced and frankly it smacks of pure greed by the owners - pity any parents who bring their children.
Still, my criticism aside I have to say that we had a wonderful time here and we look forward to returning - its a little hidden gem and I hope to be visiting for many moons to come. I am going to book my next visit to coincide with cold weather ( not too difficult!) so that we can experience the big open fires roaring away.
Highly recommended - please visit if you want a relaxing break from civilisation

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2010

The best, a beautiful building with great surroundings.
The worst, greasy food and overpriced rooms. Also, our room was not clean (proof of that is that I found a piece of garment of a former guest while looking under the bed). So, the room was clean, just not under the beds or the rest of the furniture.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank violeta r
Reviewed 1 June 2010

Excellent hotel, great service from arrival to departure, very cheerful and obliging staff. Food was exceptional both in quantity & quality. Room really spacious and furnished superbly, plenty of hot water.

Only disappointment was on the last evening - when you are paying quality prices to stay in a quality hotel you don't expect to sit in a bar waiting to dine with small children running around uncontrolled who then left the floor like a burger bar after a party and when returning after dinner carpet was still decorated with dropped food. We felt that in line with the no children in restaurant policy it should have been no children in the bar after 7pm.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2010

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel four times and have never once been dissapointed. The building is amazing and to relax in the lounge with tea after dinner really is true escapism. We have stayed in the four poster rooms and also the bridal suite and all off them had the expected grandure of a country house hotel complete with antique furniture, whilst also being spotless.
The food is the real treat of Dunsley though and I am amazed to read some of the bad reviews. From the canapes in the bar through the other courses which include amuse buche, intermediate and home made truffles your taste buds will be treated to truly world class food which we could not fault. This is based on lots of experiance of eating in some of the finest hotels.
The staff are friendly and attentive and nothing appears too much trouble.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone and am always at my most relaxed after just a couple of nights away.

Victoria and Steven Brattan
East Yorkshire

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MaddyElloughton
Reviewed 24 October 2009

We booked two rooms for Aug 30 to accommodate my wife and her parents (Czech citizens) and myself, an Indian immigrant.
One of the rooms simmered at at least 35 deg celsius and nothing, absolutely nothing was done. In fact, seeing our origins, we were 'educated' about the hotel's heating system in sheer arrogance by staff basking in self awarded excellence and unrelenting presumtion that nothing can be wrong with the hotel..Nothing practical or acceptable was offered to resolve the problem.
The hotel is far too modest for a so called stately house and the annexe where most rooms are, is nothing special (with disordered heating system) You pay more than what you would for a 4 star central london hotel - for nothing!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
6  Thank madhupchaurasia
Reviewed 5 October 2009

Lovely location between Sandsend and Whitby, very scenic. Large old stone manor house - windows in restaurant very draughty ! Rooms spacious, very tastefully decorated, en suite and all in superb decorative order and immaculately clean. Beautiful grounds and mini golf.
Breakfast - very good selection of different breakfasts from full english to Whitby Kippers, porridge, cereals etc.
If I was being picky (and for the price I am) the scrambled egg was well overcooked and rubbery. Apart from that I loved this place

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple