Dunsley Hall
Good 3.5/5
Hudsons(Whitby)
Good 3.5/5
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewscomplimentary sherrycountry houselovely hotelpublic roomsminute driveon arrivalfour poster bedsunday lunchlots of characterone night stayoriginal featuresan evening mealrelaxing breakbed and breakfastbeautiful roomthe ground floorshort break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 September 2010

We have just returned from our daughters wedding at Dunsley Hall near Whitby......and it was perfect! The staff gave excellent advice in the run up to the wedding and were always on hand when we needed them, throughout our stay. We were in the hands of very competent staff and they took over, especially Caroline, removing all the stress
of the ocassion, enabling us to relax and enjoy a perfect wedding. The accomodation was spotless, spaceous and well equipped, excellent food, excellent service. There was attention to detail throughout our stay, and the tables were set out beautifully for the wedding breakfast. I would certainly recommend Dunsley as a wedding venue, or for a perfect weekend break for couples.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed 5 September 2010

We had a lovely break at this hotel. The bedroom was large & very comfortable. Both breakfast & dinner were very good. All the staff were all friendly & helpful. We enjoyed the walk down to Sandsend.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2010

We ( my husband and I ) visited Dunsley Hall for 2 nights and were suitably impressed. The trip was booked as a relaxing break for us both and booked to coincide with my birthday. Our room was excellent - beautiful four poster ( modern) and lovely views. The room had everything one could expect and some extras - Cadburys Hot Chocolate sachets on the tea tray and bottled water in the room.
The hotel has been sympathetically modernised and has retained many of its original features which all adds to the ambiance and general warm feeling.
We had booked dinner, bed and breakfast and we thought that the food was very good. The menu erred on the fishy side but this is hardly suprising since the sea is visible from the hotel! We found the food well prepared and presented and there has obviously been a lot of thought put into the menu - and this shows.
We were fortunate with the weather and we thought that the little garden outside the bar a glorious place to sit.
The staff were attentive but not overly so - some of the restaurant staff could do with some extra training since for all intents and purposes this is a fine dining experience. High marks to the owners son ( whose name I cant remember - shame on me) who I found to be just informal enough and very helpful.
I obviously have to mention the "mark down" points or this review would not be fair.
The televisions in the bedroom only had the five main tv channels and I think that most people would expect to have freeview as a minimum standard on hotel televisions.
Some of the staff were excellent but some let the hotel down - a few more smiles, acknowledgements, and attentiveness would have gone a long way.
The prices of drinks in the bar were a little overpriced - but none more so than the soft drinks. I find £1.80 for a half of mixer diet coke horribly overpriced and frankly it smacks of pure greed by the owners - pity any parents who bring their children.
Still, my criticism aside I have to say that we had a wonderful time here and we look forward to returning - its a little hidden gem and I hope to be visiting for many moons to come. I am going to book my next visit to coincide with cold weather ( not too difficult!) so that we can experience the big open fires roaring away.
Highly recommended - please visit if you want a relaxing break from civilisation

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2010

The best, a beautiful building with great surroundings.
The worst, greasy food and overpriced rooms. Also, our room was not clean (proof of that is that I found a piece of garment of a former guest while looking under the bed). So, the room was clean, just not under the beds or the rest of the furniture.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank violeta r
Reviewed 1 June 2010

Excellent hotel, great service from arrival to departure, very cheerful and obliging staff. Food was exceptional both in quantity & quality. Room really spacious and furnished superbly, plenty of hot water.

Only disappointment was on the last evening - when you are paying quality prices to stay in a quality hotel you don't expect to sit in a bar waiting to dine with small children running around uncontrolled who then left the floor like a burger bar after a party and when returning after dinner carpet was still decorated with dropped food. We felt that in line with the no children in restaurant policy it should have been no children in the bar after 7pm.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple