“Excellent - beautiful house”
Review of Union Place

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitby
Union Place
Ranked #105 of 155 Whitby B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We stayed overnight recently at Union Place with my in-laws to celebrate a special birthday. It was wonderful, very comfortable rooms and beautifully decorated. We had the green room and my in -laws stayed in the blue room which overlooks the garden. This was perfect with two comfy armchairs. I don't think it matters about the shared bathroom if you are with friends or family but probably wouldn't go just the two of us. Richard is a very welcoming host and very friendly. We managed to get chance to have a look round the garden and Richard's painting studio which was lovely. The family have done an excellent job of renovation on the house it looks wonderful. As well as the rooms we had a lounge in which to relax and we went back there after our evening meal.
The full English breakfast was served by Richard and was delicous and set us up for the day, we did not eat again until mid afternoon.
The only other things I would have liked would have been some toiletries in the bathroom and a hair dryer.
Also it would have been good to stay more than one night.Great place.

Room Tip: Go for the blue room looking over the garden and with comfy armchairs
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 March 2012

I am from Whitby and visit with my wife and daughters very often. I have stayed in literally dozens of different B&Bs there over the past few years, but this we week stayed for the first time at Union Place, 9 Upgang Lane. It is by far the best place we have ever stayed in Whitby and is excellent value for money.
Although I would say this is B&B for grown-ups, this is less expensive than the usual chintz-covered B&Bs Whitby still has by the score.
Firstly, it is a beautifully restored and cared-for Edwardian house. Second, the welcome from former art teacher and now full-time artist Richard is warm, knowledgeable and helpful.
Thirdly, its B&B business is very small, with only two rooms, so is perfect for a family of four like us or perhaps two sets of friends. (My wife and I already plan to return with a couple of friends.) We had two gorgeous, sumptuous bedrooms and shared a large bathroom complete with claw and ball cast iron bathtub.
Unlike most other B&Bs, this does not have en-suite bath/shower rooms as they would spoil the authentic Edwardian feel, but for a family of four like us, or two couples visiting the town together, it is easy to share the bathroom.
The house really is stunningly decorated, full of interesting artworks, decoration and furniture. As I say, this is B&B for grown-ups - our daughters are 14 and 17 and really enjoyed staying there. Breakfast for the 3 veggies was just right and mine (meaty and big) was perfect. I wish we had been staying longer.
Location wise, it's five minutes' walk from the town centre and near the west cliff for beaches etc.
I enjoy helping visitors find the best my home town has to offer so I was really chuffed to have this special place recommended to me by a friend.
Believe me, as someone who is very proud to be from this lovely Yorkshire town, this is the very best place to stay – grab it while you can as it only has the two bedrooms.

Room Tip: There are only two rooms. Our daughters shared the front one and we had the one overlooking the back...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 March 2012

This was our first experience of a bed and breakfast. It had been booked for us by a friend. When we arrived it took a while to get the attention of the owner, after ringing the bell and shouting out we were eventually greeted and shown around. We stayed in the green room which looked out onto the road. I think the blue room had a better view from what I could see out of the bathroom window (on the same side). The room was comfortable and clean, a little chilly as the radiator didn't seem to work very well. The best part of the whole experience was the breakfast. Couldn't fault it. Plenty of food and we were offered everything you would need. On a whole I would stay again but would perhaps try others in the area as well.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2012

My partner and I had the most lovely stay here. The bath is truly tremendous! Take bubble bath a bottle of wine and two glasses. It really made the experience special. The owner Richard explained on booking that the room was not en suite and to be honest I can understand why they have chosen to have this set up. The bathroom is next to the bedrooms and as the house is five stories it still feels very private. We stayed in the blue room and the owners have gone to great lengths to provide exquisite furniture and fittings from luxurious bedding to beaded lamps and a beautiful full length mirror. Girls you wont be disappointed! Richard the host is very welcoming and cooks a lovely breakfast. We found the location great and close to all the local ammenities. We loved the place so much we plan to go back with friends in the summer.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Had a lovely stay for a weekend with friends. Would definitely recommend to anyone. Very helpful and welcoming owner and breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 27 June 2011

This is a fantastic bed and breakfast. We have stayed here on numerous occasions over the past 6 years and have never once been disappointed. Although there is a shared bathroom for the 2 bedrooms, we have never found this a problem. The bathroom is fabulous. One good idea is to book both rooms with friends, it then feels like the whole floor is just for your use. The whole house has a brilliant feel to it and the owners are extremely welcoming. We would recommend this without hesitation.

Room Tip: choose the blue room if you get a choice
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank seb10_10
Reviewed 15 June 2011

After a day's walking, we were looking forward to a comfortable billet for the night. We were not disappointed! As soon as we entered the house, we got a lovely feeling about it. Not only was it beautifully and sympathetically restored, the whole atmosphere was one of peace!
Our room was huge and had the most amazing bay window, looking out towards the Moors in the distance. Every comfort was there for us.
A sumptuous bathroom really hit the spot, although not 'en suite' was solely ours that night.
Breakfast was a feast and we were made to feel extremely welcome from the moment we arrived; shame we could only stay for one night!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple