“Avoid at all costs!”

Ranked #15 of 16 Tours in Whitby
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Well, what an absolute disappointment. The Dracula Experience promises you live actors, of which there where none, the story of Dracula, of which you could barely hear over the jumbled sound effects, and a great experience, which it so wasn't. The only redeeming feature was that as four adults we managed to get a family ticket for £9 from the less than enthusiastic guy.
It was very very dark, I have been to the London Dungeons and that wasn't as dark as this. The effects were ok but dated, and it's over very quickly. You just arrive at the back of the building and off you go.
The board outside clearly states live actors and that it was voted the best experience by "Wish you were here"?. Maybe that should have been a clue.....the Daily Mail called it an " eerie, spine chilling show.....gripping" I think our group of four completely missed this. I really would have liked to have "heard" the story of Dracula and his connection to Whitby. We love Whitby but this was just one of those embarrassing sea side attractions that promises so much and delivers very little.

1  Thank Suzamtam90

Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Went to this place on 11th April with my boyfriend and we were very disappointed. It was three pound each for adults and lasted five mins ish - thank god! It has a few special effects that move and crawl along the walls, and few dummies dressed up but we found the place to be extremely dark. I know it's meant to be for the whole experience but it will so dark my boyfriend banged his head of the wall as there was so warning signs and they are low ceilings and doorways. There is stairs in there which again weren't lit up so I was more scared of falling over than the actual displays and effects. We were glad to finish the experience but were left really disappointed and my boyfriend was left with a huge bump on his brow and in pain. I love Dracula but wont be going here again :(

1  Thank Chappaz90
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The attraction says AWARD WINNING. Not sure what award, other than for WORST ATTRACTION. It is a walk-through place that is so dimly lit, you spend most of your time looking at the floor trying to see where you are going. The displays are dated, difficult to see, and the commentary is muffled and at one point, two different commentaries talk over one another. We love Whitby, but do not waste your money in here. You will come out feeling like you have been robbed. Such a huge disappointment given Whitby's strong link with the Dracula story. What a wasted opportunity for the owners of this attraction, and shame on you for not doing the story justice in such a great location.

2  Thank Madmax07
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Since my first visit to Whitby in 1993 I have always made a point of visiting The Dracula Experience. On my most recent visit I kept up this tradition. On this occasion however I left feeling rather disappointed. Some of the exhibits have fallen into disrepair, for example the last one illustrates Dracula being beheaded by Jonathan Harker; at least it used to. The model of Dracula used to rise from the coffin and the head would fall off. Sure enough the statue rose but that is all it did, moreover the detachable head had been replaced with a strange looking monster mask. Other models are looking tired and could do with being restored or replaced.
Whitby is rightly proud of its Dracula connection and it's most explicit attraction relating to the former should reflect this pride.

See more reviews
Reviewed 31 March 2014

My partner and I visited the Dracula Experience last weekend. It was £3.00 each to get in. It was dark and eerie, with a couple of special effects jumping out at you and one live actor with a mask on at the end.

The attraction only took about 5 minutes or less to walk around and seriously needs updating. There was an audio commentary as we walked through the building but it was so quiet and muffled that we didn't understand what was being said so there wasn't really a story to the whole thing. It would be much better if it was a longer attraction with more rooms, more special effects and more live actors, with a clear, concise storyline.

It wasn't too bad but once you've visited once, you wouldn't want to bother going again as you know what to expect. Not really worth the money.

1  Thank Katie D