“Bad attitude!”

Ranked #79 of 213 Restaurants in Whitby
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, British
Good for: View
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: The smallest pub I've seen for years... just two bars with an old fashion sweet shop in the middle where time has stood still
“Bad attitude!”
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I'd been visiting this pub since I was a child, through the 80's, 90's, and up until 2006/7....always loved it there and had very fond and precious rare memories of visiting with my mum dad and gran when alive. Iv always had working dogs, And so would walk all the quiet routes I knew about goathland & surrounding villages, then head to the pub! I started going with my partner As soon as I met him as i couldn't wait to show him my favourite place in the whole world....and after a lovely peaceful walk we were ready for a drink, it was a lovely hot day. Sat on the bench seats as you walk up the steps to beer garden facing my partner. Was cuddling each other and saying how sleepy we felt with the heat, along comes the wretched landlady and tells us to cool off! As if I didn't feel embarrassed enough at that (as she said it infront of some people we were sat next to), she then started walking off pointing towards the woods, saying "there's plenty of promo in there if that's how you want to carry on"!! I could have died!! I was so shocked I didn't even try to defend ourselves. I have never since been or felt the same way about the place again. So sad. Loved going there and remembering my dad n the good times we shared.

8 Thank Dogwalkersarah

Kent
“Great Pub - great beer and cakes”
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Had to visit after seeing the reviews on TA. We went late one afternoon and sat out by the river in their very nice garden. My husband had 2 pints and a great pork pie, he said they were really good, I had coffee and a great homemade scone with jam and cream - yum!

• Visited June 2012
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“A real find. A PROPER pub.”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Luckily for us the owner of the B&B where we stayed told us about this place.
When he said to me "Do you like a good pint of bitter because if you do I can tell you where you will taste the best pint you have ever tasted" I certainly laughed and thought "thats a big boast not sure I will agree but eh why not give it a try"
So we did. Me, the missus, the mother in law and Bob the working cocker spaniel.
4 pints of Beckwatter later I had no hesitation in agreeing with the statement made by my new best friend ie the owner of Rose Cottage B&B in Goathland (which is also a great place to stay and very dog friendly)
A great drink, a great very small pub, great people running the pub, a great quaint little village, a great outdoor beer garden, in fact all in all everything just great.
Can't wait to go back.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank gcdales
York, United Kingdom
“when in the Whitby don't miss Beck Hole and the Birch Hall Inn”
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Beck Hole is not - as you might at first think - a cavern the name is from the Viking description of 'a tree clad valley' where the Ellerbeck and West Beck meet to become the Murk Esk, eventually reaching Whitby as the Esk.

You'll find Birch Hall 10 miles south of Whitby, off the A169, below Goathland.

Or you can take a rail 'side' walk (flat) from Grosmont, it take 45 mins each way.

At Beck Hole you will find what could be the smallest pub you've seen for years... just two bars with a sweet shop, yes a sweet shop in the middle where time has stood still for generations. The inn has a 'snug' and an outside area by the river.
They serve hand pulled cask (guest) beer, a simple menu of hot drinks, butties & pies, individually made by the excellent local butchers, RADFORDS of SLEIGHTS, also home-baked scones.

Monday 11am to 3pm then evenings