“"AIDENSFIELD ARMS" OPPOSITION!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Whitby
The Inn on the Moor
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Edinburgh, Scotland
“"AIDENSFIELD ARMS" OPPOSITION!”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

As a second time visitor to Goathland a.k.a. Aidensfield of "Heartbeat" TV series fame, I sought refuge in the Inn on the Moor as I wanted a quiet lunch away from all the fans and enthusiasts who visit by the coachload!

I have been in the Inn before but just for a drink. This time I wanted a meal. I walked into the bar and I didn't have long to wait before Judy, the owner, came through and took my order for a refreshing half pint of lager and I asked what the bar specials were from which I chose the homemade cottage pie. While I waited, Bertie the resident mature Border Terrier came through and wandered around then came over to check me out and sat down on the chair beside me while I chatted to Judy, his owner!

After quite a wait, my cottage pie duly arrived with an accompaniment of carrots, broccoli and cauliflower in a very tasty savoury sauce. The pie was very meaty and mouthwateringly delicious while the veggies were fresh and crisp, just as I like them. I tucked in and cleared my plate with compliments to the chef - but before I had done so, a family had walked in and ordered drinks - while admiring my meal! On my recommendation, they all ordered the same!

The bar is a great focal point for hotel guests, locals, walkers and visitors alike and everyone is assured of a warm welcome from the owners Judy and Malcolm who have been in the hospitality business for over 30 years. The bar has a traditional atmosphere and comes complete with a pool table for those who want to indulge in a game.

I thoroughly enjoyed my late lunch and a relaxing time after having hit the village stores. I cannot comment on the accommodation as I did not stay there.

Would highly recommend the Inn as a superb alternative to the much commercialised Goathland Hotel (Aidensfield Arms) across the road!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Newton Aycliffe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Just had a fantastic time in Goathland the inn on the moor is the place to head too, the staff are first class where nothing is to much trouble.the owners Malcolm and Judy make you welcome and make you feel at home. the chef is a fist class cook.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul R
West Yorkshire
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Yet another wonderful stay at Inn on the Moor. Wonderful service and fantastic food! Totally recommend this venue.
Lovely area too.
Access to Whitby via train or easy road trip.
Gorgeous area for tourists or walkers.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank slynes
Oxted, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2013

What a lovely hotel - very friendly whilst we stayed in "Aidensfield" & sheep roamed freely in the village.
The rooms are very comfortable, the only problem that weekend was it was very windy and wet. the next day after our stay here, was lovely & warm, no wind or rain.
We had our evening meal in the restaurant and have no complaints at all

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DSJ2013
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Just come back from a week in Whitby, we stopped for tea at Inn at the moor. What can we say except fantastic! The service was excellent, the barman could not do enough for us and the food was delicious. Would definitely recommend this place for meals. Very reasonably priced and a good amount too!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
UK
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Went there one night for a bar meal and I have to say it was nicely presented and pretty good value for money.
I had the roast beef and giant Yorkshire pudding - there was a decent, but not massive portion of beef, the veggies were nicely cooked and the gravy was rich and tasty. My girlfriend had scampi and she reckoned that was good too, but not exceptional. There was a choice of 3 real ales to choose from but at £3.60 a pint I would say a bit expensive - but in line with other pubs locally, cashing in on their "Heartbeat" fame I guess.
Externally the place doesn't look massively inviting and inside the place isn't what you would call trendy or like an old fashioned inn - but it's clean, comfortable and certainly not threadbare as some of the other reviews have suggested !
The staff were helpful and friendly and the service was good.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marktrip
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2013

We ate here one night during a week's stay in Goathland. The food was fine, but the place is dire. It needs the 'Alex Polizzi ' touch ! As soon as we walked into the almost empty bar our hearts sank. It is scruffy, dreary, badly in need of refurbishment. Very glad we weren't staying there. Although the food was ok, the place is depressing and we didn't eat there again. Go to the Mallyan Spout Hotel or Goathland Hotel instead. We are very surprised after reading other reviews that this place is still open. If they don't pull their socks up we hold no hope for it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank muddib00ts
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitby
Raithwaite Estate
#7 of 20 in Whitby
Bagdale Hall Hotel
Bagdale Hall Hotel
#5 of 20 in Whitby

Been to The Inn on the Moor? Share your experiences!