“A sound choice in Whitby”
Review of Saxonville Hotel

Saxonville Hotel
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed 12 September 2011

An old fashioned hotel but in the good sense, strong on service and quality. While the hotel is not flash and certainly not modern (nor are the rooms) everything is clean and in good working order if in some cases rather worn

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank APWLondon

Reviewed 3 September 2011

Immaculately clean. Wonderfully attentive staff and a superb breakfast

Reviewed 29 August 2011

everything was perfect,clean comfortable,lovely friendly staff,great food at breakfast and dinner,with full waitress service havnt had better here or abroad.would definately stay again if visiting whitby.

Reviewed 21 August 2011

Just got back from the Saxonville yesterday and wanted to spend a few minutes to inform everyone who reads this review that it is the best! and I personally recomend this hotel if you like excellent: food, service, room standards and staff. I completed a review this time last year and couldn't wait to return to what has become our favourite hotel. During my first career I had been to some of the best hotels in the world and as part of my current career I travel the country staying overnight in hotel chains and nothing compares with the Saxonville. I think being a family owned hotel (since 1946!) makes the experience individual and personal.

I mentioned in my last review my wife and I come with my daughter who copes with autism and a learning disability and once again she is always made to feel very special by the staff - I can't think of a better statement from her than "Whitby Holiday great fun" and a permanent smile throughout her stay.

From the cleaner to the lady on reception you can see everyone who has a stake in the hotel takes great pride in giving their customers a good experience, thank you. But the best recommendation? when I heard guests leaving and without exception saying to the staff "see you next year".

Tip..... Go for a walk after your evening meal - there is so much to eat, I do this so I can take full advantage of their excellent breakfast

1  Thank Sraw
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Two couples ended up in Whitby unexpectedly in the busy time of Regatta week-end. We were greeted by friendly staff and given rooms in the Saxonville Hotel due to cancellations, which was very lucky for us as we had an 'experience' rather than a stop over. The staff were 'exceptional' in that they were extremely helpful, accommodating, friendly and the food was delicious. Firstly the breakfast was so very tasty with as much as you could eat! Secondly, the 5 course dinner was excellent, in fact we left feeling like stuffed pigs!! The dining room staff were very friendly and pleasant and ready to have a joke at any time. The bedrooms were very clean, roomy, with comfortable beds and well provided with tea, coffee and biscuits. The 'upstairs' ladies were very kind in taking our luggage as we had to change over to different rooms. This gave us the opportunity to try out 3 different bedrooms all of good quality. We all thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: The hotel does have a four poster room which looks very nice. The other rooms are very clean and has...
Reviewed 16 August 2011

The welcome is warm. The management and staff friendly and attentive. Our twin room was excellent with full facilities and fabulous bathrobes! My daughter's family room was excellent as well. The breakfast was plentiful and well cooked.The parking facility is most welcome,particularly at Regatta weekend, when we stayed. You will enjoy spending time with the Newton family at the Saxonville.We certainly would make this our first choice in Whitby.

Reviewed 12 August 2011

I've stayed at so many hotels, but finally one has motivated me to join tripadviser as a reviewer. This hotel is so outdated&old-fashioned it is untrue. I was with my mother who at 60 years old felt she'd arrived at the hotel a good 30 years early.

Room 3, above the kitchens, stinking of grease and fat. Room 4 above an alleyway of noise. Both rooms without fresh air, no aircon of course. There was a grandfather clock down in reception, how lovely... unless you can hear it chime twelve times at midnight from your room, one, two, three, four, five, start of the cooking noises, six, seven, etc.

Silver service dining is what you're constantly told about in the dining area. It makes you realise why those old standards were abandoned to be honest. The dinner (if you pay for it) is so old fashioned, but without any of the interest of what has been lost. It serves as justification of what has been lost, in fact. No interesting lost local or english dishes. Just old-skool fodder presented as though someone fell asleep whilst dishing it up.

And it's all served at speed, almost as if they just want you to stuff the five course down and get out again.

The breakfast was a disaster. How can you make a simple cooked breakfast a disaster? Serve it on a tiny plate for a start, beans & egg on top of bacon (stacked one on top of another), tomatoes halved and barely cooked... huh? What does one do with those? ...So it was very basic but misunderstanding the basics of a good breakfast.

'Silver service' also seems to mean sitting at your table being given a tiny amount of coffee, one pre-poured, non-cold glass of orange juice. Meanwhile over three days they play about four or five terrible Tom Jones songs constantly on loop! (OMG!, WTF! as the people a hundred years younger than the average guest might say).

The bar - there was never anyone else in it. At the height of August this was a depressing, end-of-the-world kind of place.

I don't like to waste my time being negative about a place, but when it charges the prices this place does I think it's probably worthwhile. If you aren't waiting to die, stay somewhere else - anywhere! Pitch a tent on the beach, whatever.

All the staff I came across were lovely & pleasant by the way. It's just that the whole place is stuck in the past., and a bad-past at that.

On top of it all; a few days there and they didn't replace the shampoo I'd used up in the first day. Didn't empty my bin. And it was hot and sweaty, but they didn't replace my sheets. And each day they inserted the most repulsive old fleece blanket into my lumpy and uncomfortable bed.

You know what - I'm easy going. I've stayed at etap hotels, gross travelodges, whatever. But for the price of this place... I have to conclude it was the worst hotel I've stayed at. To go to a hotel and long to be back home is a new experience for me. And it's for that new experience this hotel gets one star (that and tripadviser doesn't let you give 0). This is a hotel so badly in need of a revamp or else it will die out.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 3 & 4, known to suffer from kitchen smell & noise.
11  Thank Pierre L