“An Exceptional Hotel!”

Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“An Exceptional Hotel!”
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Every last thing about The Saxonville is pristine. From top to bottom, the hotel is absolutely spotless with tasteful decor throughout. The dining room is little short of being spectacular. Crisp white table cloths, beautiful white china (with classy gold rims), and top-quality cutlery, silver teapots etc. The waitress service was top rate too with very attentive ladies always on hand - nothing was too much trouble for them. The quality of the food could not be faulted and beautifully presented.

The rooms are also spotless and comfortable, with all of the nice `bits and bobs`, more usually found in a 4-star London hotel.

The overriding impression of The Saxonville is that it is a much cared for and loved hotel by its owners. Goodness, we have stayed in about 10 hotels in and around Whitby, some good, some average-to-poor. We wish that we had discovered The Saxonville before now, because it is by far the best. From now on, we won`t need to look elsewhere! Moreover, it is in a quiet part of Whitby, easy to find and with ample parking.

In sum, search as we may, my wife and I can think of nothing about The Saxonville that we would like to see improved. Simply (and other hoteliers please note), it sets the standard in Whitby.

Very-highly recommended indeed!

Room Tip: PS I clicked `Swimming Pool and `Fitness Centre` by mistake - I can`t cancel my input. Please ig...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BobThompson100

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2012

My husband and I were in Whitby to attend the wedding of his good friend. Although the wedding itself included two nights of camping in the Yorkshire Moors, I opted to get a room for myself so that I had a place to sleep the night before the event and to shower the morning after having to camp. So, the hotel was a refuge for me so to speak.

I found the room to be quite clean and nicely appointed for one person (which is how it was booked). The bed was comfy and the staff were very friendly. The only complaint about the room would be that there was no milk products at all on the tea tray upon arrival nor after housekeeping had visited the next day (biscuits were replenished as were tea bags, but still no milk). I'm certain that if I had asked the reception staff this would have been remedied immediately.

Overall a very nice little place to stay. For £60 a night (single occupancy) the room was absolutely an excellent value for money! I must say that the location of this hotel is a bit out of the way if one does not have a car. Personally I would only recommend the Saxonville to those driving in to town. For anyone taking a train or bus, something nearer to the city centre would be a better bet.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank CariSwanson
England
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I took a group of 29 members of our rambling club to the Saxonville Hotel in May for a four night break. Everyone agreed that the accommodation was excellent, the food good and freshly cooked, the staff friendly and helpful. The location was ideal, easy to get to, near the promenade but in a quiet area and within easy walking distance of the town. Our room on the top floor was spacious, light and clean. The bathroom was roomy and had a shower over the bath. Although the hotel has no lift, when we arrived, the proprietor, Mr Newton, carried up suitcases for anyone who needed help. It was really good for a walking holiday because we could walk from the hotel and catch local buses back, while the railway station gave easy access to the North York Moors steam railway which we used for another days walking. A number of our members have asked for contact details for the hotel because they want to go back with family and friends - that must be a recommendation!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my friend. The pros are:
- its near the beach front
- its very clean
- the staff are polite
- the breakfasts are nice - we even got Whitby kippers
The cons are:
- we booked a twin room but it may as well have been a double as there was no space between the beds and there was no room to spread out
- there was no lift and we were on the top floor so the bags had to be carried up flights of stairs
I would stay again as it was very clean.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank The_Family_Hen
Yorks
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We stayed for two nights with a group of friends and found the hotel staff to be very friendly, welcoming and efficient. Everywhere was spotlessly the clean and comfortable. Breakfasts were particularly good with a wide choice and the food freshly cooked. Their fruit salad was excellent. I found the food at dinner, while good, to be rather overcooked for my taste. Portions are generous.
The bedroom and bathroom were well equipped but I am used to a kingsized bed and do personally prefer more modern decor.
I would certainly consider staying here again if visiting Whitby.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Enjoyed two nights in the four poster room for our 20th wedding anniversary .It was a very relaxing and welcoming All staff v helpful and friendly .rooms v clean and tidy .food fabulous x all round excellent hotel on the coast.defiantly go again .

• Stayed April 2012
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Just returned from a very enjoyable two night stay at The Saxonville Hotel. The hotel is spotlessly clean and the room we stayed in was also spotlessly clean and very well presented with good facilities including tea, coffee, hot chocolate and very nice biscuits! All the staff were very professional and friendly and couldn't do enough for us. We ate an evening meal in the hotel restaurant which was also excellent (we chose from the A la Carte menu as it was a special occasion!) the food quality was excellent as were the breakfasts - all silver service! We would highly recommend this hotel and would not hesitate to visit again (which we hope to do very soon). Well done to all the staff at The Saxonville Hotel and keep up the good work! We hope to see you again soon!

Room Tip: We stayed in a room on the second floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple