“Great to see a return to past qualitiy”

White Horse and Griffin
Ranked #56 of 217 Restaurants in Whitby
Price range: US$64 - US$69
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We had a wonderful lunch of lobster & skinny chips and goats cheese salad and both were absolutely delicious. The changes the new owners have made are great - retaining the feel but greatly improving the space. And the food was of the standard the White Horse & Griffin was famous for years ago. Well done.

1  Thank Sandra B

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Popped in for a quick drink. Very unusual bar. Kind and friendly staff and a lovely drop of lively and well maintained Timothy Taylor (if my memory serves me correctly), ale. Would like to return and stay for a few nights. Although we didn't eat in. I have an uncanny feeling that the restaurant would serve nothing but the best. Also the location is in the heart of town. Our American cousins would love the place. A slice of “Quaint Old England“!

Reviewed 8 May 2014

We visited The Horse and Griffin on Easter Monday, we were warmly welcomed by the staff and the lovely coal fire in the restaurant making it a haven from the cold evening outside. We had been to the north east for the weekend and had hoped to sample fish on this coast especially the shellfish. Everywhere were lots of crab pots along the harbours so we were delighted that the Horse and Griffin actually had some shellfish on the menu. We had the seafood mezze to share , it was a feast both to the eyes and to eat. Every component was fresh and delicious. The skill and preparation of all the shellfish and fish was also outstanding. We couldn't eat it all so the crab was wrapped for us to enjoy the next day which we did. We had a marvellous time in Whitby , if I return I would like to stay here , its a fascinating property full of history.

1  Thank janet p
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

What a beautiful place! Very rustic, which I love. I ordered half a lobster, served with skinny fries and salad which was £11 which was cheaper than most places I had seen. I have never tried lobster before and I found it to be very tasty, I wish I'd had a whole one! The fries were brilliant, nice and thin and crispy. The salad was good too, as it was mixed leaves and not the standard rubbish iceberg so many places use, and it was a generous enough portion. Very happy, glad I went here and I heard other customers saying nice things too.

1  Thank Emily S
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Visited on may bank holiday monday night after previously eating here before under different owner , once great the other poor but we thought we would give the place another go. Its a lovely old place full of character but oh the food, to be fair we both enjoyed our starters mine the carpaccio of beef was lovely, the missus had the leak and potatoe soup and loved it, our main, which was our 3rd choice because the others werent available on the limited menu was poor we shared the fillet steak for two, not one thing on the plate had any taste , the beef, the veg, the sauce, the chunky chips that where potato wedges non had any flavour and at £48 just for the main? Come on. Total bill was just over £70 , top end for below average food. Would we go again ? Dont think so .

2  Thank Torky-Paul