“Sweet little cafe with fabulous views”
Review of Candys Cafe - CLOSED

Candys Cafe
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 12 September 2014

Candy's is open earlier than most of the other eatery's in RHB, serving up very nice breakfasts and coffee. What a delight, very friendly and personable staff, super clean, with an excellent baker somewhere in the kitchen. If I would change anything, I would take out the Bean to Cup coffee machine and get a two group instead, with a little Barrista training it would be perfect.

Reviewed 6 September 2014

After the long walk back up the hill Robin Hoods Bay we thought we would pop in Candy's and a coffee before going back to our hotel! We ordered two cappuccinos and sat outside to enjoy our coffees! All I can say it Yuk! It was absolutely tasteless and watery we were so disappointed this place obviously does not take pride in the quality of the coffee they serve!

Reviewed 2 September 2014

Friendly staff, clean environment and free wifi. Meal size was fit for a king. Well worth the walk down steep slopes, remember you have to get back up.

Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

Not sure if we caught the staff on a bad day but we didn't experience the "welcoming attentive staff" described by other reviewers, older staff were abrupt and the younger staff just stood around giggling and play fighting.... Tea for 2 was more like tea for a child, not a great experience and a shame as it's in a great position.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This Café looks very promising. The views of Robin Hood's Bay are brilliant, the café has a nice outdoor eating area with parasols and large picnic tables and the area is kept lovely and clean.

We first saw this café when visiting RHB for the afternoon as we were walking down to the beach. Clocking the sign offering fish, chips, peas and tea for £6.50 served until 7pm we planned to pay them a visit on the way back after working up an appetite climbing back up the hill.

Our party that day was 3 adults, 1 child and a very well behaved dog. By the time we left the beach it had started raining so we readied ourselves for fish and chips. We reached the café and I started to open a parasol to be quickly told that they couldn't be put up as it was raining and windy. After joking with the staff member that we will just make sure we keep sitting down we were told again, firmly with no 'sorry' or 'unfortunately', that the parasol could not be opened at all. Sense of humour - Tick! After I checked the indoor eating area was COMPLETLY empty (it was half past five and most tourists had returned to their accom) I asked another member of staff if could sit inside at a lovely window table - to which we were told bluntly "no...no dogs" as the four female staff members watched three adults, a dog and a small child stand out in the rain and wind we tried considered the cuppa soups back at the van...nope chips it was! Luckily, Candy's do have a take away service and I decided to wait in the café as the others went back to the warm and dog friendly comforts of our car. At first I tried to order 2 of the offers we saw on the board and a small fish and chips. I was then told that this was not possible as they don't do a small fish - could you change this in the future Candy's? Is it that hard to cut a fillet in half and batter it? After settling for three fish chips and peas, I paid my money and was disappointed to only have 25 pence knocked off the eat in price (I would have rather have paid £6.50 and had the cups of tea to brave the 'storm' raging outside!)

After a ten minute wait for our fish and chips, during which, ironically, the four members of staff stood and discussed the cafes trip advisor reviews, the food arrived. I am pleased to say that the food was ok, the fish was nice but the chips were slightly over done.

This café is in a superb location and I would love to go back and try the cakes but we were left a bit soured by the attitudes of the staff that day. Some manner and a bit of compassion would have been nice that day. I know some eateries have rules on dogs but owners should learn to exercise a bit of discretion from time to time.

1  Thank samueljames2801