The Angel Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
US$97
Hotwire.com
Hudsons(Whitby)
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,301 results
All reviewswetherspoons hotelbalcony roomharbour viewfourth floorthe long stay car parkluxury roomlovely hotelreception staffcentral locationexcellent locationbottled waterone night staycar parkingper nightfamily roombiscuitswould stay again
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here twice now with my husband, absolutely love this place! Very modern rooms with stunning bathroom suite. Friendly staff as always and good prices. Perfect location for night life as it's right in the middle of Whitby. Will be back again and again!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kittenheels1986
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I stayed here for one night in early May. The resort was quiet as was the hotel and bar. It is very evident that a lot of money has been spent on refurbishing this hotel; the decor in the rooms and corridors is excellent as are the furnishings - all in a modern minimalist style, which IS to my taste.

The 5ft (King) bed was comfortable but a touch springy for my liking. The room was, for a double, rather compact - but fine for sole use. There isn't enough drawer and/or wardrobe space for a couple and/or a longer stay. Rooms have a combined heat/cool aircon system and this was working correctly - and quietly. And there is a nice large TV with the full range of "Freeview" programmes. Tea/Coffee making facilities and ingredients are provided. There is free WiFi throughout.

The bathroom was fine, spotlessly clean and everything worked as it should. One thing missing - I didn't find any tissues (other than toilet roll); at these rates, they should be provided.

The hotel's location in this small resort is perfect - right by the harbour. My room had no "view" but for a small premium, harbour view rooms can be reserved. As the resort was quiet, I experienced no noise or disturbance from other people. Sadly, though, I was disturbed by the Sea Birds quite early - the large double-glazed window would not shut properly and did not therefore seal the outside out.

Nevertheless (and without any experience to guide me beyond this one stay) I'd have to guess this is probably one of the better places to stay in Whitby.

Rooms are sold without any included food. The "restaurant" is a standard Wetherspoon bar with the standard Wetherspoon food offering. For lunch or evening meal, Wetherspoons nationally offer what I consider exceptional value, with a good balance between quality (which is surprisingly good for its context - factory pub food freezer fayre) and price (which is remarkable, especially when the price of an included drink is taken into account). In particular, Wetherspoons do seem to get pub chips "right" far more often than most other places do, and their daily (except Monday and Saturday) "deals" offer even better value.

Their breakfast offerings are superb and consist of good quality components - a great start to the day. I did not begrudge paying extra for this.

In terms of staff and service - the bar/restaurant staff were pleasant, as were the hotel staff. However, when I arrived, I found the reception (a tiny desk through a door at the side of the main pub entrance) unattended, so I rang the bell. Quickly someone appeared but was unable to check me in. His badge claimed he was a Manager. I was asked therefore to wait in the bar until the receptionist reappeared. It crossed my mind at this point - he SHOULD have offered me a drink while I waited, but no such offer was made. Evidently the receptionist was on her meal break and was the ONLY person who could log on to the hotel system. That seems somewhat of a shortcoming. She re-appeared 15 minutes later and checked me in with no further difficulty.

In summary - if I had cause to stay in Whitby again, I'd probably book this hotel. I think the rates are rather high, but then Whitby is not a "cheap" resort. The room I had was rather compact; if I were staying for longer and/or as a couple, I'd probably pay more for a larger room with a view. Until I do so, I'll reserve judgement on the public noise levels at a busier time.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank SCAN60
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Was a little reluctant booking this after having a bad experience at a previous Wetherspoon Hotel. However I was plesently surprised. It was a good sized room with adequate facilities, hairdryer, heated towel rail flat screen TV etc
. I booked a twin room whilst the beds were of sufficient length they were VERY narrow, something like sleeping on a washing line!
The price at £79.00 room only was I thought a little steep,as B&B's were available in town for around £60 for two which obviousley would include breakfast. You can purchase breakfast in the adjoining Wetherspoon pub,or like we did stage your own little protest and take breakfast elsewhere in town!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Spot on location excellent rooms 42ins tv in room big bathroom recommend the rooms with balcony for the extra would defo stay here again would not have the breakfast again though staff a bit slow in the bar area could do with extra staff takes ages to get a drink

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Myself and my lady friend decided on a overnight to Whitby to celebrate my birthday. After visiting my local whetherspoons pub, I decided to make a reservation at the Angel Hotel. Upon arrival first impressions were excellent, we were shown to our room by the hotel receptionist, she was really very polite and helpful. We freshened up we went down to the pub for food and several drinks. After that we retired for what I anticipated to be a nice peaceful nights sleep, all was well until 06:30 when (in the words of Blur) I was rudely awoken by the bin men, who came and emptied the glass bins, the loudest bins to empty in the middle of the night. That said the rest of the stay was faultless and although the issue was not the fault of the hotel, maybe a talk with the local council could rectify this issue.

All in all a really nice stay

Room Tip: My only advice is to pay the little bit extra and upgrade your room and have a room with a view...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple